Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Brodak 049 RC

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 08:38 AM
d_bodary
My Feedback: (85)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Brodak 049 RC

Has anyone used one of these engines yet? Kind of thinking for a ME-109 from House of Balsa. But mostly if this engine runs well as they do a lot of old timer flying at the field. So maybe even for a old timer
Thanks
Old 12-14-2010, 09:34 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: Brodak 049 RC

I bought one when they first came out. 11-12,000 rpm with a 6x3 prop wasn't enough to fly any of my planes.
Old 12-14-2010, 12:31 PM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have one and the .061 as well. the .061 spins a APC6x4 at 15,000 and the .049 spins the APC 5.7x3 at 16,000 or so. both not very strong but will fly planes under 20 ouces and low drag.

for the HB ME109 kit go ahead and build it for the .049. they are large kits for 1/2A flew ok with the cox 1/2A's. i fly all the HB 1/2A kits with .15's now at 20 ounces. when you build this kit build it light as possible. change out the wood in the tail feathers and the fuselage for light contest stuff in the 6-8lbs range same for the wing ribs and sheeting if not light. you can get these kits under 17 ounces with light radio gear. also for the wing instead of builing the wing with sheer webs use 1/8th sq balsa and do a truss design stronger and lighter. use a HS85 metal gear for aileron servo and a hs 65hb for elevator. throttle use a hs 45 hb. for the one ounce tank use aluminum tubing, small very flexable fuel line, grind down the fuel clunk. use a 10-32 nylon bolt to hold wing on. no landing gear unless wanted then can give you hints on that later. use you covering material as the hinge material. if you dont know how there is lot in the forums on how to do these. the good thing is not hinges to glue in, seals the gap and very free in movement. if you have the time use some 6 lb balsa for the tail feather and sand a airfoil in them. this will improve the tracking of these planes a lot. for your elevator use 1/16th ply and make your own control horn light and simple. no screws to add weight. you can even drill out the engine mount holes larger and use 6/32 or 8/32 nylon screws to hold the engine in the plane. just drill and tap the firewall. put thin ca in screw holes let dry with NO kicker then run a thread chasing tap thru it. when you tighten down the nylon screws dont over tighten and stretch them, just snug them. they will hold up well on a 1/2A engine. i have used this on the 15's
Old 12-15-2010, 03:32 AM
Mr Cox

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Which Brodak are you referring to, Mk I or Mk II?
Mk I (i.e. CS) came in both .049 and .061 versions, while the latest MkII is only .049 as far as I know.

The Mk I have been appearing frequently on this forum before, just search for "pitted piston" or "I give up"

I have a few of the Mk I, and one of the MkII that I have not run yet. It would need a new head and an airbleed I guess to have any useful performance.
Old 12-15-2010, 10:15 AM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

klondyke on here is selling novels. i would get one of his .074 engines for this plane if your looking to stay in the 1/2A range not go with a .10 -.15