Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Topflight Schoolboy

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Topflight Schoolboy

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2003, 02:52 AM
Digger-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Topflight Schoolboy

Hey guys, I had a lot of interest in the schoolboy kit that I found at a local hobby store. One of the posters here asked me for a copy of the plans. I took them to kinkos and printed off 2 nice copies. If any one wants the other plan message me. $5.00 and I'll send it to ya!

Randy (Digger) Birt

P.S. The original kit itself will be going on ebay in the near future, so if more than one person wants plans, let me know soon. I'll make extra copies.
Old 08-04-2003, 04:19 PM
bsindel

Do the plans show the rib outlines and formers? I quess what I want to know is could a person scratch build a model from the information on the plans alone?

Bill
Old 08-04-2003, 05:50 PM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Bill:
Originally posted by bsindel
...could a person scratch build a model from the information on the plans alone?

Bill
Impossible by definition.

Unless you drew the plan yourself.

But you might use the plan to build one. Just wouldn't be scratch built.

Bill.
Old 08-04-2003, 11:34 PM
Digger-RCU

Bill, The rib outline is in the plans, but the the formers are not in the plan, nor is the plan of the wing. There are many small pictures showing construction from which I think anyone could duplicate the design.

Randy (Digger) Birt
Old 08-05-2003, 01:25 AM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Hi, I'd like you to meet William, our resident RCU lawyer.

Oooooo, he's gonna git me for insulting him like this....
Old 08-05-2003, 01:35 AM
BMatthews

In trying to remind myself what this looked like I found this thread in Vintage....

http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...hreadid=691149

There's a pic of the model there that clearly shows a constant chord wing so if you have the airfoil section in the side view and know the span you're in like Flint.

The fin and rudder is just solid but the stab is actually built up with 1/32 top and bottom with 1/16 framing in the center.

The wing, if you don't know, is fully sheeted with 1/32 and has a very flat bottom. So there's no wing plan because you draw a few lines on the lower sheet and glue everything else to your "plans". It don't get no simpler, fer sure. As long as your wing span is somewhere close you'll be fine.

So..... Am I gonna see some other rudder only flying now?

Hey, what was the Willard design that was built the same way but was a low wing? Now THAT was a real cutie..
Old 08-05-2003, 01:42 AM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Yes, Bruce.

You could have called me a real estate agent, a politician, or even a medical doctor.

But calling me a lawyer... inexcusable.

Watch your back, Charlie.

Haw.

Bill.
Old 08-05-2003, 01:52 AM
Strat2003
My Feedback: (1)

Bruce, the Schoolboy pic you linked to was mine. I built it from the original plans, so all the information you need is there.

One correction, the stab, as on the original, is solid, with chordwise grain tips, not built up from 1/32 and 1/16. The built up stab would probably be more warp resistant, though, and well worth the effort.
Scott
Old 08-05-2003, 02:05 AM
BMatthews

Originally posted by William Robison
....Watch your back, Charlie.

Haw.

Bill.

HEY ! ! ! ! How'd you find out my middle name? ! ? ! ?

Now I'm worried......... :surprised

Check out the initials on this.....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	99228_15727.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	10.7 KB
ID:	56382  
Old 08-14-2003, 03:03 AM
frank l jr

Default school boy

hey digger,
i say yeasss, i do want the school boy plans that you made the copy for in my first inquire. if you will send the address, i will oblige. had me worried, had not heard from you. i've also been out of pocket, but would check pm and e mail when i would run through town.. anyhow , we are on the right track now.. thanks frank

see ya
Old 08-15-2003, 10:36 AM
littlefly

Default TF Schoolboy = TF Schoolgirl - lower wing?

I have a very fragile, old plan of the TF Schoolgirl. Plan is 45"X35". Where are you guys getting these duplicated? Know that my plan is a collector\Keeper. Need to get it duplicated to build a few.

Plan gives instructions to eliminate the lower wing, thus presumably making it a Schoolboy!

Plans are full size, including both wings and fuse.
All rib shapes, bulkheads, skins, etc. are on the plan.

Boy, looking at this thing is really a history trip in R/C! Tone radio, escapements, rubber motors, etc.

A modern build with micro equipment should fly fairly well with a PeeWee 020. (Got six of 'em). Should be a real terror on a COX 049 TeeDee or Dragonfly. (Got some of these, too).

See what I mean by the first paragraph?

What do you guys think?
Old 08-15-2003, 01:45 PM
Digger-RCU

Littlefly,
I take my plans to Kinkos near my house. They have a roller-fed 36 in. wide copier. They charge $0.33 per square foot.
It does not matter how long something is, it just has to be 36 inches wide or less. Makes great copies. Also this machine can expand a small drawing to full plan size. Thats how I made my Li'l Panter plans. I expended a three view.

Randy (Digger) Birt
Old 08-15-2003, 04:08 PM
frank l jr

Default school girl

hey littlefly,
you are a man after my own heart. tone, hard tube rec., escapements, solder everything, no made up solder joints, bad dry cells, etc. the dawning of light.almost. when you have a copy made, i certainly would like to have one. i'll then have a copy of the schoolboy from digger, and a copy of the girl version from you. life is sweet sometimes. i have some of the Ace commander pulse radio, or could do with the modern stuff, depends on the mood i guess. i ,as digger ,have had copies made my a local copy, blueprint shop. not lucky enough to have a kinko's, but with a little talking as what i really needed, not a problem. price compares with kinko's . i would certainly be glad to reimburse for your costs. thanks frank

see ya i'll send a p m with address if alright

Old 08-19-2003, 11:41 PM
boberos

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ken Willard's Schoolboy

The original construction article for the Schoolboy as designed by Ken Willard with achoice of 30 or 36 " wingspan was published in M.A.N. February 1962. The wing was built up & NOT solid sheeted.

The Topflight 29" sheeted wing version was offered as a kit that very same month.

Build either version. M.A.N. may still have the plans available.

Good luck,
Bob Gardner