Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Early RC Models - Still in business?

Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Early RC Models - Still in business?

Old 03-21-2011, 01:41 PM
049flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Early RC Models - Still in business?

I know that Early RC Models was sold to Wing Manufacturing a year or two ago. I have been trying for over a month now to reach Wing Manufacturing via email and telephone. Aside from leaving numerous messages I have had no contact whatsoever.

Anyone have any idea if they are still up and running?
Old 03-21-2011, 01:55 PM
skaliwag
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Early RC Models - Still in business?

Which kits are you interested in?
Old 03-21-2011, 06:16 PM
evaristus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a jr skylark kit from them a month ago, they even sent the kit to Mexico where I have to go to work for weeks, great people, great service they cared about kit arrival (it took 5 extra days because in Mexico all packages are customs inspected).

I think Ill order a minnie mambo next.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:41 AM
nitroairplane

i contacted them a few months ago to get a littlest stik but it was out if stock so i think they are still in buisness then i tried to get one from select hobbies but for some reason the order never went through so i decided to build a little p 51 mustang ff peanut scale model
Old 03-22-2011, 01:56 PM
coriolan

The "Littlest stick" is so simple to build, no need for a kit!
http://my.pclink.com/~dfritzke/lastick.pdf
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr51295.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	1582669  
Old 03-22-2011, 02:59 PM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: 049flyer

I know that Early RC Models was sold to Wing Manufacturing a year or two ago. I have been trying for over a month now to reach Wing Manufacturing via email and telephone. Aside from leaving numerous messages I have had no contact whatsoever.

Anyone have any idea if they are still up and running?
I wrote them about two weeks ago and got a reply right away.
Old 03-23-2011, 08:53 AM
nitroairplane

corolian i have those plans downloaded and am thinking of building this
Old 03-23-2011, 03:03 PM
049flyer

Thanks all for the replies.

I guess they are not answering the phone or Email. I guess I'll try sending a letter!
Old 03-23-2011, 04:24 PM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Try here: http://www.selecthobbies.com/kitdata.htm

Scroll to the bottom of the page - there are a number of Early R/C models listed.

andrew
Old 03-24-2011, 04:12 AM
BobHH

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just got an e-mail from Dan at Early RC last night. Seems he and his family are on vacation in an area with limited e-mail access. He said he should return soon and get back with everyone on their requests. Glad to see Dan getting some time off. The small kit business is no easy task and quite demanding. Unfortunately I know this from experience!!![]

Bob Harris
Old 08-01-2013, 05:22 AM
Falcon6667

ORIGINAL: BobHH

Just got an e-mail from Dan at Early RC last night. Seems he and his family are on vacation in an area with limited e-mail access. He said he should return soon and get back with everyone on their requests. Glad to see Dan getting some time off. The small kit business is no easy task and quite demanding. Unfortunately I know this from experience!!![]

Bob Harris
Is there going to be kits to be shipped, or short kits?what will he have ,an how can he be reached?
Old 08-01-2013, 08:11 AM
BobHH

Well, seeing how this is an old post it needs to be updated. As far as I can tell Early RC is no more. I have not had any contact with Dan in over a year and the website has gone down. I hated to see the business end up this way but don't know all the circumstances. I do not plan to get back into the business as my day job keeps me going strong.

If anyone would be interested in supplying full kits like Early RC did maybe we can talk as I still own the rights to the plans and cut files.

Bob Harris

Old 08-01-2013, 07:38 PM
049flyer

Bob:

I used to have a hobby shop and a laser cutter in the store. I talked to Dan about cutting kits for him about 2 years ago. At that time he was a bit worried because he was leasing the rights to many of the kits from Great Planes and he was unsure whether they would re-new the agreement which was close to expiring. Shortly after that conversation he moved to Arizona and that was the last I heard. A real shame.

Old 08-02-2013, 05:18 AM
BobHH

Yep, he had a deal with Great Planes on the Goldberg designs. I had to submit my plans for their approval. As I understood it, the agreement was very good as they have a designated person who searches the internet continuously for kit cutters infringing on their copyrights and such.

I was using Alex at AK Models to do all my laser cutting and never had any issues with him. He imports his own wood and I could label what type of wood I wanted per sheet on the cut files.

Not sure what happened to Dan and the business. He was always a great guy to work with and an excellent modeler and craftsman.

The kit business can test you!! I had jigs built for forming all the landing gear as well as a small vacuum form machine to do all the canopies and such. It was time consuming but I always like offering the complete kit like the old days. You did not have to go out looking for landing gear and canopies to complete the build.

Bob

Old 08-07-2013, 11:51 PM
GallopingGhostler

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

It is a shame that a kit resource has been lost.

As time consuming as it is, apparently the only solution now is to scratch build Goldberg kits. Fortunately I have plans amassed over the years that make it possible, and that Goldberg kit plans contained enough detail that one could scratch build. One kit that comes to mind is the Jr. Skylark. It's back burner for now but some time future would scratch build as electric. It's twin motor mounts lends itself to small outrunner motors, without the hassle of attempting quick starting of two Cox Tee Dee or Pee Wee .020's and a longer run time than their small tanks allowed.