Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Micro Beast Wing Twist

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Micro Beast Wing Twist

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 07:10 PM
RickShane
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Micro Beast Wing Twist

Ibought the Eflightmicro Beast from my LHS lastnight,and flew it today. When I took off it went into a hard left bank. (I didn't crash it)After 25 clicks of right aileron trimit was flying straight. (Almost full right trim)But with that much trim the ailerons were way off center creating drag, giving me just over 4 minutes of flight time.After inspecting the plane there is very noticeable wing twist. The left top and bottom wing is twisted down at the leading edge. No wonder why it wants to bank left. With whatlittle time I did have to fly it, what a FUN little plane. It did everything I wanted it to do, and it's quick. It would be an awesome plane IF it had no wing twist. Out of all the reviews I read everyone hade to make just a few clicks of trim, not 25 clicks!

For the price of the plane you would think it would be built straight. It's too late in the dayto call my LHS or HH. So I need to wait till tomorrow and HOPE my hobby shop exchanges it. As far as I'mconcerned the plane is defective, and notsuitable for flight. It's a good thing I have 20 years of ******** experience. If someone was just stepping up to this plane they would have piled it into the ground. Tip...If you buy one CHECK FOR WING TWIST!

Has anyone had this problem with the micro Beast? I don't want to attempt to straighten them in fear I'll break it. I was going out tomorrow early in the morning to fly it on my one day off, and the hobby shop don't open until 10am. Just my luck!

Here's a few photos of the wing twist.

Thanks!
Rick
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Da83259.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	1587290   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26440.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	1587291   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez82473.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	1587292   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sx61746.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	1587293  
Old 04-01-2011, 07:23 PM
MJD

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Micro Beast Wing Twist

Mine is all out of whack too.. I'm really pissed off about it. The tips droop about 3/8" and although it is not as twisted as yours, it still needs a fair bit of trim. It is otherwise a really cool micro ARF but that one thing has me really disappointed. You have to break all the bracing joints to do anything with it, and I am not prepared to do that. You can bet the model in the demo video isn't like these.
Old 04-01-2011, 07:33 PM
Rob2160

ORIGINAL: RickShane

Ibought the Eflightmicro Beast from my LHS lastnight,and flew it today. When I took off it went into a hard left bank. (I didn't crash it)After 25 clicks of right aileron trimit was flying straight. (Almost full right trim)But with that much trim the ailerons were way off center creating drag, giving me just over 4 minutes of flight time.After inspecting the plane there is very noticeable wing twist. The left top and bottom wing is twisted down at the leading edge. No wonder why it wants to bank left. With whatlittle time I did have to fly it, what a FUN little plane. It did everything I wanted it to do, and it's quick. It would be an awesome plane IF it had no wing twist. Out of all the reviews I read everyone hade to make just a few clicks of trim, not 25 clicks!

For the price of the plane you would think it would be built straight. It's too late in the dayto call my LHS or HH. So I need to wait till tomorrow and HOPE my hobby shop exchanges it. As far as I'mconcerned the plane is defective, and notsuitable for flight. It's a good thing I have 20 years of ******** experience. If someone was just stepping up to this plane they would have piled it into the ground. Tip...If you buy one CHECK FOR WING TWIST!

Has anyone had this problem with the micro Beast? I don't want to attempt to straighten them in fear I'll break it. I was going out tomorrow early in the morning to fly it on my one day off, and the hobby shop don't open until 10am. Just my luck!

Here's a few photos of the wing twist.

Thanks!
Rick

Hey Rick,

Just saw your PM's and that led me to this thread...

Man, what a shame... that is definately faulty and I would take it back for sure... Mine wasn't that way.. my wings are dead straignt and my ailerons and rudder are totally neutral to fly straight.

The only complaint I would have about mine was that the motor did not have the normal 2 degrees down and right tilt (as most of the Parkzone aircraft have)

It didn't really affect the flying.. but in the last few days I just used a bit of cardboard as a "shim" to give me that "Right and Down" offest for the propellor... It seems to fly a bit tighter now..

Sorry to hear about your wings man.. I know how frustrating it it to buy something new and have it not working as you expected...

Old 04-01-2011, 07:44 PM
RickShane

Rob,
This is something the hobby shop should take care of right? I don't want to pack it up and send it back. That's why I bought it at the hobby shop is so I didn't have to wait to fly it. The hobby shop is part of RCPlanet.
Old 04-01-2011, 08:09 PM
skaliwag

Was this made in China?
Old 04-01-2011, 08:19 PM
RickShane

ORIGINAL: skaliwag

Was this made in China?
It's theE-flight brand, distributed by Horizon Hobby, and yesMade in China. Most everything in America is made in China.
Old 04-01-2011, 08:25 PM
skaliwag

Then why do you keep buying this crap that you have to take back and expect to get your money back?
Old 04-01-2011, 08:53 PM
RickShane

Then why do you keep buying this crap that you have to take back and expect to get your money back?
DUDE! Did I say I wanted my money back? NO!But when I spend $170.00 Iexpect a good product.This is not no department store toy like you're use to.I said I want to exchange for another one. Do you know what that means? I take it back to where I bought it,give them the bad product, and they give me a good product in return. Does that make sense now?
Old 04-01-2011, 09:47 PM
Jaspur_x

Skaliwag, rickshane, 2 very good and truly sad points, but lets not head into politics on here; because thats where its headed. In our own ways, big or small, we americans are all responsible.

If they are any kind of hobbyshop they will exchange pronto when you take it back for the exchange and show them that nasty defect. I would suggest to them to inspect all of their "cheap" imports before shelving for sales. a good hs would.

It looks like a really sweet flyer if it werent so darn big I would want one.lol

rickshane, anytime that sort of new toy comes along just click your heels 3 times and say " I wish cox was still around" and repeat lol At least you managed to catch it in time before the inevitable crash that would have got me for sure lol
Old 04-01-2011, 10:19 PM
RickShane

Thanks for the reply Jasper_x!
Iwould think that they'll exchange it for another one.My hobby shop isthe retail store for RCPlanet.com - Located in Utah too. I did a lot of reading before I bought the Beast and there was a lot of good things saidabout it.They all saidthey had to do a few clicks of trim and that wasit! (for me almost full right trim, 25 clicks/beeps)For an un-flyable $170.00 plane, they should swap it out with NOproblem. I don't need a new battery or anything else that came in the box but the plane. Let this be a lesson to anyone in the market for the micro Beast....Check for wing twist!! I'll put up an updatetomorrow after I get with my hobby shop. I really wanted to fly it in the morning while my son was at baseball practice Guess I'll be taking the Radian. Horizon Hobby has put outsome really good BNFstuff. Crap Happens more so than not. Later! Off to bed I go.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:58 PM
Rob2160

Rob,
This is something the hobby shop should take care of right? I don't want to pack it up and send it back. That's why I bought it at the hobby shop is so I didn't have to wait to fly it. The hobby shop is part of RCPlanet.

Yes, I am not sure about your consumer laws in the USA but in Australia if something is faulty out of the box the shop has an obligation to replace it on the spot with a new one.. (within 7 days of purchase)

Old 04-02-2011, 12:02 AM
Rob2160

I love my Beast and it has been great since new.. with over 100 flights on it I think it represents excellent value.. I can fly in my front yard.. so for me it was a great buy..

Rick has the right to get something that works though.. the bent wing is clearly just a packing or shipping problem but it should be replaced with a good one...

I wouldn't call it crap at all.. I've been flying RC planes for 33 years and for $179 you get a lot of bang for your buck...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyTAv_oC9Nw[/youtube]

Old 04-02-2011, 08:04 PM
RickShane

UPDATE: I took my Beast back to the hobby shop today and they were kind enough to exchange it for another one that has straight wings....Thanks You Canyon Hobbies! (RC Planet) I didn't see anything wrong with the plane as I was so focused on the wings.I took it home feeling good.Iremoved the battery hatch to install the battery so I could bind it to my DX8.

I thennoticed something didn't look right. The goldnose cone was missing. After looking through the boxI found it, but one of the littlenubs on the back of it was missing butI glued it on anyway. I didn't want to push my luck with the hobby shop over a little thing, soI notified Horizon Hobbiesand let them know it come off, and Iam getting a little vibration at full throttle. (Is that normal?) It runs smooth as silk with the prop and nose cone off.Horizon told me it HAS to havea goodnose cone on it, (It saves the prop and motor ifyou nose it in)so they are sending me a new nose cone and prop. Other than that everything else looks good. It even has the right/down thrust angleon the motor.

Another tip...Make sure the nose cone is on tight, and check for wing twist.

Thanks for all the input.

Old 04-02-2011, 10:23 PM
Rob2160

UPDATE: I took my Beast back to the hobby shop today and they were kind enough to exchange it for another one that has straight wings....Thanks You Canyon Hobbies! (RC Planet) I didn't see anything wrong with the plane as I was so focused on the wings.I took it home feeling good.Iremoved the battery hatch to install the battery so I could bind it to my DX8.

I thennoticed something didn't look right. The goldnose cone was missing. After looking through the boxI found it, but one of the littlenubs on the back of it was missing butI glued it on anyway. I didn't want to push my luck with the hobby shop over a little thing, soI notified Horizon Hobbiesand let them know it come off, and Iam getting a little vibration at full throttle. (Is that normal?) It runs smooth as silk with the prop and nose cone off.Horizon told me it HAS to havea goodnose cone on it, (It saves the prop and motor ifyou nose it in)so they are sending me a new nose cone and prop. Other than that everything else looks good. It even has the right/down thrust angleon the motor.

Another tip...Make sure the nose cone is on tight, and check for wing twist.

Thanks for all the input.

Hi Rick,

Great you got one with a straight wing..

As for the prop vibration... and nose cone..

My nose cone stated to get loose after about 10 flights.. but that is because I was always landing on grass and the wheels are so small they just catch and the plane noses over...

I glued it on with foam safe CA and it was fine...

About a week ago I accidentally dropped the beast from waist height... it was fine but the propellor cracked so I had to replace it...

It ran extremely smoothly with the original propellor but has a bit of vibration now with the 2nd one.. not enough to worry about... it flies fine...

Have you flown your new one?
Old 04-03-2011, 10:38 AM
RickShane

Rob.. No I haven't been ablt to fly it. Yesterday it was so windy because of a storm coming in, and today we have 8 inches of snow. Then it's back to the 60 tomorrow tomelt all the snow. Hell, it was 73 & sunnyon Friday.We have really screwy weather in Utah.(We say if you don't like the weather here wait 5minutesIt'll change)Not to mention I am on the air from noon to 6 today. Ihope to get in some flights this week. I need to find me a camera man to shoot some video.

Itotally know what you mean when it noses over on landing. Iland mine the same way you land yours and does it every time. LOL
Later!
Rick