Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

WWI Taube w Surestart aerial video

Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

WWI Taube w Surestart aerial video

Old 04-05-2011, 06:18 AM
ZoomZoom-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WWI Taube w Surestart aerial video

Well, this is kinda what I've been tinkering on. Thought you guys might enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bee0o_x2we8

ZZ.

Old 04-05-2011, 07:00 AM
Tee Bee

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: WWI Taube w Surestart aerial video

Well done. I enjoyed watching that. The Taube has a nice planform in the air.
Old 04-05-2011, 08:45 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

ZZ...most excellent dude..!!
Interesting how the prop looks like window blinds, I've never seen that effect before. The plane looks very realistic. It doesn't take much wind to equal a 1/12th scale hurricane.
Old 04-05-2011, 08:47 AM
ZoomZoom-RCU

It doesn't take much wind to equal a 1/12th scale hurricane.

You got that right!

ZZ.

....and thanks guys.
Old 04-05-2011, 03:22 PM
R/C Phile

Looks great. Love the Good Common Sense design of the muffler and throttle...
Old 04-05-2011, 03:59 PM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That was too cool! why didnt you just deadstick in?...pretty country too....Rog
Old 04-06-2011, 04:34 AM
ZoomZoom-RCU

why didnt you just deadstick in?...pretty country too

Well, usually you just throttle her down and she settles in and rolls out without nosing over even on that rough gravel drive about 4 out of 5 times. So I was hoping for that outcome.....didn't bank on the wind trying to blow me into the tree you see on the left as she was closing with the runway, and the resulting out of alignment touchdown. Ah well....it was still a very soft, if yet ungracefull landing.

Yeah, we're a little North of you in Virginia. If you look off in the distance on a couple of the aerial passes you can see the Blue Ridge on the skyline.

ZZ.
Old 04-06-2011, 02:09 PM
Dave Wave

I liked the video...but not the music....gotta hear the engine scream...much better that way!

Thanks for the video!

-Dave
Old 04-06-2011, 06:32 PM
hfenn

Hey ZZ, nice vid and plane. Is it foam? What airfoil? And, what program did you use to edit the video? Thanks for sharing.
Old 04-07-2011, 04:45 AM
ZoomZoom-RCU

Yeah, the music was a tough call Dave, but it so fit the Imperial German theme that the Taube so aptly represents. And I figured, who wants to hear that annoying bumble bee sound (although reduced by the muffler) for 4 minutes!? lol

Hey ZZ, nice vid and plane. Is it foam? What airfoil? And, what program did you use to edit the video? Thanks for sharing

Yes its foam (fanfold), and its a simple wing with one wood dowel glued and taped to the leading edge, and the entire wing simply bent into an undercamber behind it. On the trailing edge I simply took a razor and beveled it down from square to a finer edge, and thats really it! Has more lift than it really needs, in fact when we were doing this video, as I mentioned it was really too windy and at one point, a head on gust hit her and she simply levetated like an elevator straight up from level flight about 30 feet, and then continued flying straight ahead on an even keel as if nothing happened. Wierdest thing you ever saw, and a huge amount of lift from that wing. Oh, and I used Pinnacle to edit the final film. hope this helps.

ZZ.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:20 AM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

If you'd used the theme from "Those Magnificient Men and Their Flying Machines" it would also have been quite appropriate....

That's a nice job on a fan fold model. The paint job really sets it off instead of seeing "just another blue" model.

It would be very interesting to scale it up to more around the 42 to 46 inch span size range and make it into more of a powered glider in the same vein as the original. Maybe with some formed in camber to the airfoil to even further slow it down. But then it wouldn't be able to deal with the scale size typhoons and massive amounts of turbulence you have around those trees when it's blowing a bit. But on calmer days a bigger version would look magnificent in the air. Especially with a bigger 7x4 or similar prop pulling the whine down to a nicer sounding purr.
Old 04-07-2011, 03:01 PM
hfenn

ORIGINAL: ZoomZoom-RCU

Yeah, the music was a tough call Dave, but it so fit the Imperial German theme that the Taube so aptly represents. And I figured, who wants to hear that annoying bumble bee sound (although reduced by the muffler) for 4 minutes!? lol

Hey ZZ, nice vid and plane. Is it foam? What airfoil? And, what program did you use to edit the video? Thanks for sharing

Yes its foam (fanfold), and its a simple wing with one wood dowel glued and taped to the leading edge, and the entire wing simply bent into an undercamber behind it. On the trailing edge I simply took a razor and beveled it down from square to a finer edge, and thats really it! Has more lift than it really needs, in fact when we were doing this video, as I mentioned it was really too windy and at one point, a head on gust hit her and she simply levetated like an elevator straight up from level flight about 30 feet, and then continued flying straight ahead on an even keel as if nothing happened. Wierdest thing you ever saw, and a huge amount of lift from that wing. Oh, and I used Pinnacle to edit the final film. hope this helps.

ZZ.
Thanks!
Old 04-07-2011, 03:02 PM
hfenn

ORIGINAL: BMatthews

If you'd used the theme from ''Those Magnificient Men and Their Flying Machines'' it would also have been quite appropriate....

That's a nice job on a fan fold model. The paint job really sets it off instead of seeing ''just another blue'' model.

It would be very interesting to scale it up to more around the 42 to 46 inch span size range and make it into more of a powered glider in the same vein as the original. Maybe with some formed in camber to the airfoil to even further slow it down. But then it wouldn't be able to deal with the scale size typhoons and massive amounts of turbulence you have around those trees when it's blowing a bit. But on calmer days a bigger version would look magnificent in the air. Especially with a bigger 7x4 or similar prop pulling the whine down to a nicer sounding purr.
It sounds like a candidate for a PAW .03, doesn't it?
Old 04-07-2011, 03:41 PM
skaliwag
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Little Rock has one with a PAW 55 in it.
Old 04-09-2011, 08:09 AM
ZoomZoom-RCU

I'm assuming the PAW is a diesel? If so, that would be nice combo.

ZZ.
Old 04-09-2011, 01:44 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Yes, it is. But for an .03 diesel I'd likely want to stick with the size you have now and just do some stuff to make it little lighter. For a 40+ span variation I'd rather have an .049 size deisel if I were looking at going diesel at all.

Note that the ether in model diesel melts foam as well.