Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Build on a budget

Old 04-09-2011, 12:41 PM
Twistedteddy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Build on a budget

Ide like a small and cheap slowflying kit for a throttled cox. havent gotten motor yet. figured id build the kit and go from there. id like a citabria or something high wing like it preferably slowflying as im a beginner but able to do simple aerobatics. tricycle or taildragger doesnt matter. send me links and ideas. dont wanna spend more than 30 on kit. thanx
Old 04-09-2011, 02:32 PM
coriolan

Default RE: Build on a budget

1/2A planes tend to be fast flying, but that ones being a bipe is reasonably slow and cheap to build ideal for a beginer:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10446044/tm.htm
There is links within the thread about how its built. Most 1/2A kits would cost more than $30 and not as crash resistant as a SPAD. there is a forum dedicated to that type of planes here on RCU:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/forumid_178/tt.htm
Old 04-09-2011, 03:11 PM
noveldoc
My Feedback: (2)

check out the Model Airplane News plan site for the Kadetito.

Slower Kadet like 1/2 A. (1/2 size Senorita.) Throttled 049 would work.

Also bird cage rear fuse so easy on the balsa expense.

Tom
Old 04-09-2011, 04:05 PM
Twistedteddy

im more or less looking for a KIT not something to build from plans. im not good at cutting out ribs. still. i dont wanna spend more than 30$. meaning if anyone has something like it they dont want id love to buy it from you. this isnt just a hobby for me. its like an obsession... i need something to build!  
Old 04-09-2011, 04:24 PM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Scroll to the bottom of the page to the HERR kits.

http://www.selecthobbies.com/kitdata.htm
Old 04-09-2011, 05:16 PM
Twistedteddy

i tried to order one from there but the invoice that came isnt even usable.... any other suggestions?

Old 04-09-2011, 05:30 PM
coriolan

ORIGINAL: Twistedteddy

im more or less looking for a KIT not something to build from plans. im not good at cutting out ribs. still. i dont wanna spend more than 30$. meaning if anyone has something like it they dont want id love to buy it from you. this isnt just a hobby for me. its like an obsession... i need something to build!
If it is an obsession cost should be secondary! Satisfaction is priceless [8D]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78260.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	1591598  
Old 04-09-2011, 05:33 PM
Twistedteddy

if u dont have the money. u try to pinch pennys. but thank you for the excellent advice! [&:]
Old 04-09-2011, 07:12 PM
Andrew

ORIGINAL: Twistedteddy

i tried to order one from there but the invoice that came isnt even usable.... any other suggestions?

Steve is a standup guy - send him an email, I'm sure he'll get it straightened out.
Old 04-09-2011, 08:04 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

If you are so cheap, cutting some balsa should'nt seem like such a big deal. Looks like you will be a control liner for sure.
Old 04-09-2011, 09:16 PM
Twistedteddy

ive been modeling for ten years. my father has done it my uncle has done it all theyre lives. but ive only helped with theyre projects. never fully built my own. i have a vintage j3 cub but dont wanna hurt it cuz im rusty. so i wanna test my gear and skills on a cheap small fun model that i build myself. i had a cl model when i was 5 and was board and dizzy by six. im here to get advice. if i wanted smartass comments id have asked a 3rd grader. so if u dont have advice. stay off my forum. for those of you that r actualy helping. thank you its greatly appreciated.
Old 04-09-2011, 09:22 PM
Twistedteddy

this is my j3 cub. it needs work but i dont want it destroyed. gunna redo it as a forestry float plane. after i get better at flying and test my equipment.
Old 04-10-2011, 04:50 AM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Personally, I have not seen any kits available lately in your price range. When Dave did the sure shark planes his kits were a little higher for a short kit. The Rivets were $45 if IIRC and I don't remember what Bob gets for his QuickShot. These are all low wing jobs though and won't interest you much.

My advice is cut some balsa, you will have access to a myriad of plans.

I didn't realize this was your forum. Thanks for letting me play in it for almost ten years.
Old 04-10-2011, 09:33 AM
RCER88
My Feedback: (25)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1/2 airplane kits are rare at best anymore. You have to make some consessions if you want a 1/2 airplane. You may just have buy plans and then cut it. Then you can spread your budget over time.

Some suggestions though. If you already have the mentality of you don't want to destroy something then this is the wrong hobby. EVERY airplane has an expiration date. the problem is we don't know what it is.

Attend r/c swap meets you might be able to find what you are looking for there. Ask around at local hobby shops. Find a r/c club close by and contact them. someone might have something.

Small airplanes are more difficult to learn on because they are sensitive on the controls.

IF you get with a club odds are they can teach you to fly. The delays the "expiration" date of your airplane.
Old 04-10-2011, 10:16 AM
Mr Cox

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you want to save money then scratch building is the way to go. You can get drawings for free and cutting the balsa is really simple in the 1/2a size.
Take a look at the LST trainer for instance.
Old 04-10-2011, 10:43 AM
fit90

Amen on the expiration date.  Building from plans will not only help you control the cost of the build as much as possible but it will also help you extend the expiration date indefinitely if you wish.

Good luck,

Bob
Old 04-10-2011, 11:12 AM
Twistedteddy

ok. i appreciate everyones advice. as much as i dont like to admit it yall are right about all planes having an expiration date. but man ive had this cub in my family since i was a toddler. lol! im sure u understand. i can fly it by myself. ive done it. i had one of those hobbyzone supercubs  its only 3 channel but so is my cub so it worked out. but i here you on the scarsness on 1/2a planes. and i understand that smaller planes r hadrer to fly but theyre generaly cheaper and more fun! atleast in my opinion. i think im gunna go with the mini telemaster. its made for electric but thats boring. thanx everyone!
Old 04-10-2011, 11:54 AM
Mr Cox

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I learned to fly on 1/2a, on my own, in the eighties with heavy rc gear and all. A light and small plane doesn't crash that hard, so there are advantages with the little ones too. I still have my first plane (the one in my avatar, scratch built from a borrowed drawing) and actually flew it today after a long winter break. Almost crashed it though due to old rubber bands, guess it hasn't passed the expiration date just quite yet.

Old 04-10-2011, 02:30 PM
Twistedteddy

yes. see i kno the basics of flying. its when the rubber meets the road thats the prob. i need to practice my final aproaches and landings. and just like u said mr cox. smaller plains have less inertia driving them into the ground. so with a small plane itl just bounce until i get it right. plus ive never had a good 1/2a. so ide like one! thanx again everyone! keep it coming!
Old 04-10-2011, 02:51 PM
rrragmanliam
My Feedback: (1)

huh what
Old 04-10-2011, 02:55 PM
Twistedteddy

thank u ragman for realizing what im dealing with. its legit my first forum post and experience and thats what i get instead of help.. oh well. its not gunna detour me any! lol!
Old 04-10-2011, 03:08 PM
rrragmanliam
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: vicman
If you are so cheap, cutting some balsa should'nt seem like such a big deal. Looks like you will be a control liner for sure.
ORIGINAL: vicman
I didn't realize this was your forum. Thanks for letting me play in it for almost ten years
Twistedteddy comes to this forum looking for advice and gets this crap. Way to say "welcom" Vic, aparently it's your forum!

rrragman
Old 04-10-2011, 03:34 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Old models don't HAVE to have a "best before date". IF they did then I wouldn't still be flying my 30 something year old and well oil soaked Barnstormer that was originally built by a fellow club member and sold to me many years ago when it was at least 10 years old already. I've gone on to put literally hundreds of further flights and likely a few more ounces of exhaust oil into the frame. And it is still holding together and able to fly. Anyhow, just wanted to toss this bit in.

Twistedteddy, I'll have to echo the suggestions to have a go at the LST (it stands for Lynn Sipes Trainer in honor of a regular here that passed away some years ago). There's lots of help available for building it just a question away and a number of them have helped folks like yourself get back into flying with an easy to fly trainer like model. And when trimmed with the balance point a little futher back and some extra control throw angle the LST can also serve as a spirited sport flyer.

The skills needed to build from scratch are not that difficult to pick up. The trick is to use some "cheating" and come up with clever ways of doing things to make your life easier or to make it so the parts come out more accurately. And ideally you'll use tricks to make the building both easier AND more accurate all at the same time. And speaking of time the time needed to cut out a "kit" is only about a couple of hours once you get going. The wing ribs are best cut out using a plywood template to cut the basic rib shape. Then pin all the ribs together into a "block" and lightly sand the outlines even and accurate and then carefully cut the spar slots while all the ribs are in a block like this. And number the ribs as they come off the block. Use the ribs starting at "1" at one wing tip and ending with the high number at the other tip. That way any small variations in the ribs is tapered evenly over the whole span. This makes the wing build up easier and with less stress built into the structure. If you think in such terms you'll do just fine in building your first model from scratch and save a bunch of money at the same time.

If you fly from grass fields I'd suggest leaving off the landing gear. Small models generally just flip over on landing and the wheels are too small to take off well unless your field is like a golf green.
Old 04-10-2011, 06:32 PM
Twistedteddy

awesome i appreciate all the help. Lst hugh? i think its awesome yall honor someone like that and id love to continue with it. anyone have any ideas on where i can get the planes for one of those planes? like i said a high wing trainer type. and what is the best package bundle for the balsa wood id need? i have no scraps like i used to. im literaly having to start my collection all over again.
Old 04-10-2011, 06:33 PM
willig10

To the original Poster:

If you are close to an RC field, go and ask them when the next swap meet or auction is. You might even try finding one on the internet in your area. You will find a great deal of finished, unfinished kits etc there. You might also find a great deal on engines as well.

Building on a budget is a good idea when you are first getting into the hobby and the swap meets and auctions is a great way to get started and you will definately find some deals within your budget. Most of the meets have people that just want to sell their stuff.

Bear in mind you will come across people who try to sale their used stuff at retail prices, but go to each table and shop. Ask questions and when you find something you like, make an offer. You might be surprised at what can be bought.

Have fun.

Glenn Williams

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.