Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Plumbing

Old 05-12-2011, 08:36 PM
trike_flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plumbing

Hi all

Just rebuilding an old plane of mine and want to make sure I do it right. As a kid I did not care as much as I do now I am older. The LHS said I should use a fuel filter on my small plane.

Will the 049 be able to run with it in line or is it a bad idea? ShouldI expect a differance in needle settings?

Thanks for the help.

Old 05-12-2011, 09:07 PM
skaliwag
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Plumbing

If you have clean, fresh from the bottle juice you are only adding extra grams with a filter. If you want to be anal about the go juice put a filter on the end of your fill up line.
Old 05-12-2011, 09:22 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I use the large size craptrap break apart type filter inside the fuel jug and everything that comes through the short line into the syringe is clean. The more hairs and junk that collects onto the filter screen, the better it works. I almost never clean it.
I aint got no use for filters on the planes.
Old 05-13-2011, 06:56 AM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

The advice I always followed is (as the other guys have suggested) to filter the fuel on the way to your tank, but don't put filters in the onboard system. If the fuel delivered is clean, and the installed system is clean, then away you go. Apart from the extra weight and parts count, the logic being that if there is anything getting into the fuel system then (a) you truly need to improve your fuel handling system and procedures, and (b) do you really want a filter on board that is progressively choking up with crap and that could cause mixture problems?
Old 05-13-2011, 11:07 AM
Jim Thomerson

I run a take apart filter on the end of my syringe line, and a craptrap midway. When fuel gets hard to draw up, I take the end one apart and clean out the fuzzy stuff that has accumulated in it. After several years, there is nothing caught in the crap trap. I take the syringe line apart above the craptrap to fuel, of course. I also run a fuel line filter if I have room for it. I've had bits get into the fuel line filter but never had one clog up.
Old 05-14-2011, 08:44 AM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Yep, same here. Filter in the delivery system side only. Or in some cases with small containers I just put the end of the syringe into the can. But then I'm taking the fuel off the top of the "soup" and avoiding any debris that has sunk to the bottom.

I keep meaning to solder some brass tubes into a cap so I can just unhook a "U" of tubing off the top and suck out the fuel I want into my delivery syringe. But I still haven't found those "round tuits" at the hardware store...
Old 05-14-2011, 09:02 AM
Jim Thomerson

I have a fuel can for diesel fuel with copper tubes. I put them in the top of the can rather than the cap, because I had trouble making a cap that sealed well. Not a real expert on soldering, you know.
Old 05-24-2011, 10:39 AM
Remby
My Feedback: (3)

Yep, filter going into the tank from the fuel bottle. Funny how most here have found that to be the best to use, it is no doubt the best to use.

I build most of my tanks, and have found that using a larger send line to the engine from the tank, and smaller lines for the fill and overflow has advantages. If a tank is metal, onee it gets a clog and the send line is not larger, there is no way to fix this trouble. Using a slightly larger send allows small plug to pass up the flex fuelline, easy to expell.

I am using 3/32" brass for fill / overflow tank lines, and 1/8" brass to make the send line.
Old 05-24-2011, 11:22 AM
R/C Phile

It depends on the application:

For the .25 and larger planes with basic engines, I have an inline filter between the fuel can and the tank. (None onboard)

For my Heli and my YS powered plane, the added weight of an onboard filter is worth it as engine flame-outs and Helis don't mix well and the YS's fuel injection system / one way pressure valve are particularly sensitive to foreign matter.

My 049's and my .09's require the added Benol or Castor oil mix so I use a 1/2 quart race car filler bottle as mixing / filling container. Same deal for Diesels as the stuff is particularly sensitive to heat and humidity

This way, only small batches are exposed to outside conditions of heat a humidity and filters are unecessary. (Same online filters used to go from the gallon to the mixing bottle)