Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Fun-X

Old 05-26-2011, 03:55 PM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Fun-X

I was given a 1/2 A pattern kit a few years ago called a Fun-X. It is really cool with foam wing cores and a fiberglass fuselage. It was designed by John Fotiu and looks to have been design around a Tee Dee Cox engine. I feel it is too big for that engine really considering the weight.
I am planning on electrifying it. I should get the wing bagged tonight. Being electric could really bring this design to life with a full range throttle and landing gear. Looks like a fun little plane.
Anyone have any experience with it? It looks to have been a kit from J&M Glasscraft according to the plans.
Old 05-26-2011, 04:47 PM
Rusty-Gunn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Fun-X

Got pics?
Old 05-26-2011, 06:06 PM
vertical grimmace

I do. I will post them after a bit.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:28 PM
DeviousDave

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

John is my flying buddy, it really was meant for 1/2A. They fly spectacularly on electric power these days, a good .10-15 would be required for performance that would satisfy most pilots exposed to electric power. I have an MDS .18 on mine that I hope to take to SMALL, and his latest is a twin version which I also have a kit for.

250-300 watts will really make that plane MOVE.
Old 05-30-2011, 12:44 PM
vertical grimmace

Ok here are some pics. Got the wing bagged. I used 1mm poplar. That stuff is great for this. Also a TD .049 and a Mega motor power system can be seen for size comparison. Otherwise it would look like a big pattern plane! I know this is going to fly well. It will be nice not having to worry about fuel proofing as I will be using the Mega motor. Runs great on a 6" prop. Perfect for this sized plane.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu59659.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	223.9 KB
ID:	1616886   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa87301.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	233.7 KB
ID:	1616887  
Old 05-31-2011, 05:35 PM
DeviousDave

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I showed John your thread (he's about as high tech as a rock hammer) and he says you have a very early kit because it has the scoop on the side of the nose-pretty rare bird, apparently!

You'll like the airplane a lot. I prefer a little more vertical stab area, it's a little short per today's flying styles-other than that it's a great flyer. He's bringing a clipped wing version to SMALL with me that is being run off of some $5 brushless Venom motor and it's a monster.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:09 PM
vertical grimmace

Yah, I could see that indent useful if using an engine. I actually would prefer it if it was not there. I may end up filling that with something. Interesting how designs evolve with rules and such as time goes by. Not having been involved in pattern, I am not privy to the evolution. I do know they used to like trikes. Now landing scores do not matter so the modern pattern ships are conventional gear.
I have so many projects rolling at once I am not sure when I will get this finished. It is warbird season for me so I need to get them ready and I am trying to get a Sun Fli V finished. I am trying to sneak this in the middle of it all. So much I want to do and so little time. I actually was having so much fun with my new vacuum bag, I just wanted to bag every core I had laying around. The Fun X got snuck in there as well! The wing came out very nice. I will be sure to keep this updated as I progress.
Old 07-04-2011, 10:01 AM
vertical grimmace

Here she is, almost ready to fly. Pretty cool plane I think.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89870.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	1631342   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj28302.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	1631343  
Old 07-04-2011, 06:17 PM
Rendegade

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

cute!
Old 07-04-2011, 07:10 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Very sharp VG...! [:-]!!

There was a John Fotiu who was about a year older than me from my home town. His little sister's name was Joy.
Old 07-09-2011, 02:07 PM
vertical grimmace

Thanks guys. Well, I should get in a maiden this weekend sometime. Ready to fly now. I hope I have enough power. It should fly it, but I may have to play with props some to find the sweet spot. Should be in the 6-7" range. I would like to stay with a 4-5 pitch.
Old 07-10-2011, 06:12 PM
vertical grimmace

It flies! What a cool little plane. The power system seemed to work out great. I need better batteries I think though as I was only using a 3s 1300 mah pack. I need 2100's in there to get more time. Very smooth. No trim really. I needed a bunch of down on on the first flight, but I must have had some up dialed in. The elevator is level now. Anyway, the landing gear works great with the wide track and landings are a thing of beauty. It just becomes the ground so to speak. I am so glad I pulled this plane out of the basement and bagged the wing. One little detail, I used 1mm poplar wing skins and they are a blessing. It is great to have a material just slightly harder than the balsa when shaping the L.E. and T.E.. This thing is very clean quiet and smooth. Very satisfied.
Mega 16-15-5 with CC PHX 45 and a Graupner speed 6.5 x 5.5 prop