Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

The Humble Wee Stik. PIREPS requested.

Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

The Humble Wee Stik. PIREPS requested.

Old 06-08-2011, 09:16 PM
skaliwag
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default The Humble Wee Stik. PIREPS requested.

Looking at the Wee Stik plan I see this little guy has 5 degrees (+/-) D/Thrust with 5 Degrees (+/-) positive incidence AND a very thick airfoil. I would be very interested in your observations / experiences with this set up. Does it sink like a brick when the motor runs out of go juice?

What E-flight combo’s are you using. Does the generally larger E-prop work with the 5+ / 5– arrangement?
Old 06-09-2011, 08:14 AM
Rubbernecker
My Feedback: (22)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: The Humble Wee Stik. PIREPS requested.

No it doesn't sink like a brick, it just falls out of the sky. It's not really too bad but that positive wing negative motor does cause it to porpoise under power. One force fighting another I guess. I have a GWS XC50, 450 lipo and a 3-2 prop I believe. Pretty spirited flier. Want to build another wing without dihedral. I have that plane in a laser file and can cut one pretty cheap.

John
Old 06-09-2011, 08:36 AM
skaliwag

Has anyone tried taming it. Less D/thrust, less Incidence and thinner airfoil?
Old 06-09-2011, 10:03 AM
nitroairplane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't have a stick but have a very similair model called the FMK mini Rainbow i think it has about 3 degrese of d/t but i have have not flown it yet so dont know how it affects it here is a link to the model.http://www.fmkmodels.co.uk/
Old 06-09-2011, 10:17 AM
BobHH
My Feedback: (18)

I believe the Wee Stick plans show where you can cut the incidence out for multi channel. My Tee Dee .020 powered prototype flew quite well 4 channel with the incidence cut out. Touch and goes were great!! Unfortunately it fell apart at Rog's last 1/2A event. A bit fuel soaked after 300+ flights!!

Bob Harris
Old 06-09-2011, 08:04 PM
Jaspur_x

Try the radical rc micro stick, I think they have another stick version, and a couple of stick looking bipes too.

We have a micro stick, micro bipe and a mini bipe ( kits) from them. Someday I will get around to building and flying them too lol
Old 06-10-2011, 09:36 AM
fritzke

Some similar plans, still has down and right thrust
but the wing incidence is very reduced:
http://my.pclink.com/~dfritzke/lastick.pdf
Dave
Old 06-13-2011, 07:17 AM
skaliwag

Does the model balance close with the .010? Or is it tail heavy?
Old 06-13-2011, 07:59 AM
nitroairplane

I think that TEE BEE would know because he flew his with a cox .010 on it for a while
Old 06-13-2011, 04:55 PM
BobHH
My Feedback: (18)

Steve, if you move the battery to the front you can fly it great with a .010. I flew a single channel pulser in a .010 powered Wee Stick for many years with no issues.

Bob Harris
Old 06-14-2011, 04:01 PM
flyinrog

I dont think I'd bother with an electric, theyre made to fly as high/best you can up..for 90 seconds and then deadstick in like a balsa brick(with wings)..Rog
Old 06-15-2011, 12:14 PM
nitroairplane

That's true although my little 12 inch one is going to have a throttled TD .020 because un throttled would be too much for me too handle as it will only weigh about 3 ounces.
Old 06-16-2011, 09:05 AM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

My .010 version on rudder only was great. A lumbering slow climb for the first 30 to 40 seconds to gain some altitude then about a minute of loops, rolls and immelmans before the mill ran out of juice. The glide is pretty much reminisant of the classic "greased up manhole cover"..

The wing and downthrust shown is from the dark days of the Ace pulse rudder only design. If you're going with rudder and elevator you can drop the force setup down to darn close to 0-0-0 and just move the CG back to compensate and it'll drill holes through the sky. Leave the dihedral alone if you're not using ailerons or just make it a flat one piece wing with no dihedral at all for ailerons and elevator. No rudder needed in that case. Forget the landing gear. It's just a gizmo to ensure a forward somersault at landing. Just hand launch and belly land.

If you do all this you'd basically end up with a reduced size Das Not Ugly design. So the other way to go for a multi channel version would be to reduce the DNU plans and use a couple of less ribs in the wing.

Either "road" will get you to "Rome".
Old 08-01-2011, 04:19 PM
Rubbernecker
My Feedback: (22)

If anyone is interested in a couple of these, I can send 2 laser cut short kits to your door for $30 shipping included. You will have to down load the plans. Here is a picture of my completed one and it flys fairly well.

John
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fc90369.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	1643050  
Old 09-16-2011, 10:52 PM
Jaspur_x

Skaliwag, I never tried a full on modified version like you asked about, however, I did take the thrust out of the nose on a few, they flew better imho, but I never messed with changing the wing rib design or incedence.
I did a few with no dihedral, made a bipe out of one, and tried a few more inventive, higher lift wings using ribs (outboard of the fusebut keeping cg lined up) from a set of gentle lady plans I have.
It worked fine to haul a heavy load.

And the 010 does pretty well with the thrust taken out, I liked it way better than original plan form.
Hovever, even with the short run of the 010 or peewee, I prefer a throttle on this little beauty of a plane.