Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Where does one obtain Cox fuel in Canada?

Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Where does one obtain Cox fuel in Canada?

Old 06-10-2011, 03:26 AM
Cross Check

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Where does one obtain Cox fuel in Canada?

Hi Bernie,

I'm in the Toronto, Ontario area. (GTA)

Most hobby shops around here carry Omega 'Pink' fuel at 25% nitro. It is half castor at 16% total oil content. I bump it up to 20% with Klotz BeNol for my Coxes.

I buy a jug of 5% at the same time and mix it half/half to get around 15% for my OSFX.25s, which I run more often...

I like 'Mixing' Fuels...
Makes me feel like a 'Mad Scientist' !

Take care,
Have fun,
Dave'crosscheck'Fallowfield
Maac 6437
Unabashed Combat Team
Old 06-10-2011, 06:03 AM
R/C Phile

Sorry I'm a little late to the party, I was traveling on business..

As mentionned on many of my prior posts, I use PowerMaster Heli 30% Nitro and I add an additional 10% Benol or Castor (Benol is better) . I am sure that any other brand Heli Mix would work well. Heli mixes are designed for high rpm's high temps.

Here's the total mix (By Volume) when I'm done:

- Nitro 27%
- Benol / Castor 15%
- Synthetic Oil 15%
- Total Oil 30%
- Other 02%
- Methanol 41%

I am including the Excel Calculator I wrote for this as well which contains my "Secret Formula" for the Enya.

To Bernie's comment: I am running an "astonishing" 30% oil and according to the old folklore that would lead to varnishing issues on the cylinder / piston, especially in warm and humid climates .

I am here to tell y'all that it does not get much hotter / more humid than Georgia summers and 450 + flights have shown that there are no issues whasoever with varnishing. This is likely due to modern fuels detergents.

As for power, my Black Widows turn 15,500-16,000 (Cox 6 X 3) and the Medallion turns 18,500 - 19,000 on that same prop.

About the pharmacy castor oil versus the Sig "De-gummed" stuff or Benol > My testing has shown that it's true that the pharmacy stuff will gum-up your engines [] Being the cynical / incredulous guy that I am, I thought that the "Gum" in the Walmart castor oil was an old wives tale but after running it for several dozen flights, the reed became "sticky" and the engine was not running consistently. After going to Benol, the issues disapeared. Front induction engines like an Enya or Tee Dees might not get affected I have not tested those on Walmart castor.

I am truly happy with my formula. I run my engines at the absolute max performance with the leanest possible mixture at all times and the extra oil keeps'em cool and protected. After I went to that mix (And using 6 X 3 props), re-setting the ball joint is a once or twice in a lifetime occurance.

PS: To run my Excel file: Rename it to: Fuel Mix Calc2.XLSX

XLSX files are not supported for upload so I got around it by renaming it with a TXT extension.

Same here, I like the "Mad Scientist" feel of mixing the fuels.

-François

Attached Files
File Type: txt
Db86275.txt (11.2 KB, 15 views)
Old 06-10-2011, 06:06 AM
tubebass

We've been mixing our own. My brother, a car guy, got nitro from a drag race team IIRC.
Old 06-10-2011, 07:38 AM
Cox International
My Feedback: (10)

Thanks Andrew and I will set up something on our site when I get through the little pile on my desk.

Rcmichael,
The Texas fellow is Glowplugboy on eBay and he is already in our list of recommendations. He also has an off eBay website located at http://gcbmrc.com/Problem is that he does not ship to Canada. However, I did ask him to look into this yesterday and he will do so. The killer will be the cross-border hazmat fee.

Dave,
Omega Pink is a good suggestion, thanks.

That aside, we have come up with a Canadian solution via a readily available car racing fuel and, once again, thank everyone for their input.

Bernie
www.coxinternational.ca

Old 06-10-2011, 08:35 AM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I live 1hr north of Toronto so that's where I buy stuff. I buy Omega 25%, which as I understand is 17% total oil of a 30/70 castor/synth mix, and add enough SIG castor to bring total oil to 23%. If I am correct on the baseline oil content, the end mix is 11.1% castor, 11.9% synthetic. I'm happy with that.
Old 06-10-2011, 04:49 PM
icegs

ORIGINAL: AndyW

ORIGINAL: icegs

I am able to get Byron 1/2A fuel at our local hobby shop. 25% nitro, 18%all castor lubrication.

I have also mixed some from car fuel for some 50 year old control line engines. I used 20% sidewinder and added some castor from a motorcycle shop.
How is your Byron fuel working for you? We used to run a lot of Byron fuel for the bigger engines and loved the stuff. One day, the OOT Hobby Shop had some Byron 1/2A fuel and I was ecstatic. 'Till I ran the stuff. Hard to dial in, power was down and throttling was poor. I assumed it was an old or bad batch and never had a chance to try a new jug. So the half gallon that was left I used on an old, OS .40 and it ran well on that engine. Any wonder though, at 25% nitro.

I haven't had any issues with the Byron stuff. Smooth and reliable so far. I am only about halfway through my bottle.
Old 06-10-2011, 09:32 PM
Red Baron Mike
My Feedback: (287)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Bernie,

I have never heard of a 20% upper oil limit on 1/2A engines. I buy either Power Master or Wildcat 25% w/18% oil and add caster for a total of 22-23% oil. Have done this for years and the engines run great.

Mike
Old 06-13-2011, 08:23 AM
Cox International
My Feedback: (10)

Mike,

There probably is a limit but one can safely go a bit over the 20%. It just gets messier the higher the oil content as oil does not burn.

Bernie
www.coxinternational.ca

Old 06-13-2011, 10:41 AM
nitroairplane

I have run cox engines converted to diesel on a "thirds" mix where the engine is run on equal parts kerosene, ether and castor oil but as diesel i found they ran best on D1000 mix and that has 28% oil content. on thirds they were extremely messy on D1000 they are good but still a bit messy.
Old 06-14-2011, 06:37 PM
R/C Phile

It's true that it's fairly messy, but as crazy as it sounds my 28-30 % high oil content mix truly showed more power / more consistent runs, I tried less oil and with my lean mixtures and demanding flight patterns, I was getting fuel boiling issues (Black Widow integrated tanks) and harder re-starts when still hot.

I have also worn-out some crankcases prematurely, all that might be a factor of the larger 6X3 props I like to use which put more radial load on the crankcase and possibly make the engines run hotter by virtue of a higher load factor.

As another data point, (the other side of the messy oil exhaust story): I have heard from folks that run highly strung 2 strokes (Full size) racing motocross bikes (They swear by Klotz Benol) and the saying goes that a big part of the cooling and protection comes from the un-burned stuff that gets spit out of the exhaust.. That makes sense to me, if I can get the benefits and without varninshing or black coated glow plugs issues ( Over several hundred flights) I'm willing to live with wiping a heavier coat of oil off the plane..

I have an old un-opened gallon jug of "Blue Thunder" 40% Nitro car fuel left over from my 1/10 touring car racing days, I might give that a try one of those days..

I understand that not everybody makes the same demands from their engines, to each his own