"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

where does one obtain Cox fuel in the UK

Old 06-09-2011, 09:57 AM
nitroairplane

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default where does one obtain Cox fuel in the UK

This may be a wierd time to post this thread but the original one from Bernie got me thinking, I would like to know where British modelers get there 1/2a model fuel i checked and my local hobby shop no longer stocks it.I need at least 25% nitro and at least 20% castor oil.
Thank you,
nitroairplane.
Old 06-09-2011, 01:45 PM
Cox International
My Feedback: (10)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: where does one obtain Cox fuel in the UK

Check our fuel guide for info

http://coxengines.ca/pages.php?pageid=5

Bernie
www.coxengines.ca

Old 06-10-2011, 01:11 AM
nitroairplane

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thank you Bernie,
for some reason it has never occurred to me to get glow fuel from them even though i have been getting their diesel fuel for a long time now and my LHS stocks their furl so i will see if i can get down there in the next week.
Old 06-10-2011, 07:29 AM
Cox International

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Nitro,

You could also call upon our UK distributor, Den. His website is at:

http://www.densmodelsupplies.co.uk/

Judging by the quantities he buys from us he must have lots of UK Cox customers and should know where to procure the stuff.

Bernie
www.coxinternational.ca

Old 06-10-2011, 10:40 AM
nitroairplane

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yeah I Have been on his website a lot but i always find it cheaper to order from you, but i noticed he had cox mufflers and the last time i checked on your site you did not seem to have them so do you think he bought some old ones or did you sell them to him?
regards,
Indra
Old 06-10-2011, 11:28 AM
Cox International

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Indra,

They are not from us and you better grab one if you need it as they are becoming really hard to get.

We sort of have plans to make them but they are quite expensive to manufacture and we are not quite ready to tie up such a large amount of $$'s when we can get more "bang-for-the-buck" with other parts.

Bernie
Old 06-10-2011, 12:05 PM
nitroairplane

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

thats true did you ever have plans to make any other type of muffler for cox engines as in the last year i have had a few noise complaints as i live in a very densely populated city and some of my neighbours are a tad how should i say this??? touchy[:'(]i could use a word beggining with A but to be honest they are nice and i was running a cox .049 at around 8pm and they have baby.So i am resticted to running in the day which usually means weekends because i am usually buisy on weekdays.
Old 06-10-2011, 12:09 PM
Cox International

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

We looked at several OEMCox designs and it's basically a $10,000 capital outlay with retail pricing in the $17 range for the round adjustable one. For the round one that only had a pinhole for exhaust we might save a buck but that's not worth it for such a restricted part.

Bernie
Old 06-10-2011, 01:14 PM
nitroairplane

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

That is true and they also rob a lot of power or so i have been told i guess that i will have to run more diesels.
I might buy one and they are reasonably priced at £12 that's only about $20.
Old 08-08-2011, 10:54 AM
ThermalSniffer
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi Indra,

I've been working on an answer for this. There must be a few of us in the UK who want a 1/2a fuel. The answer may be suitable for those in other countries too.

I set to work today looking for a fuel that was high nitro and low oil which we could add our own castor oil to. The radio control car guys seem to prefer lower oil content in general and especially so for their race fuels. The fuels for flying engines I found generally have way too much oil in them already for our purposes. Fuel for radio control cars also seems much easier to order online than flying fuels.

Two major fuel brands for radio control cars in the UK are Optifuel and Byron. Of the two Byron was most open about the content and proportions that make up their fuel. Optifuel give some proportions but I wasn't able to find out specifics about the lubricant package in their fuels.

Byron's Race Gen2 car fuels are what we want to look at. They all have varying proportions of nitro and lubricant but I found out from their website that the lubricant package is a 50:50 mix of castor and synthetic. Considering we will be diluting it a bit with castor oil anyway lets ignore those with the least nitromethane in them and definitely ignore the RTR versions because they contain a lot of lubricant already. Basically that leaves us with Race 2000 Gen2, Race 2500 Gen2, Race 3000 Gen2 and also Race ProDriver 2500, 3000 and 4000 fuels which have slightly less lubricant in them than the standard Race **** Gen2 series of fuels. Obviously the ProDriver comes out trumps because it has the least lubricant already in the fuel but the standard Race Gen2 stuff will work too. The difference is only 2%.

Using these fuels, and the spreadsheet posted in the other thread to help calculate the amount of castor oil to add to the fuel you can now pick and choose your level of nitro, mix in the desired amount of castor and you should be good to go.

Now for castor oil! I've been looking on eBay for castor oil and I'm seeing a company that distributes shell oils specifically advertising a castor oil in the radio control modelling section. They're called Smith and Allen and the product that looks most suitable is their Castor Oil No.1. They also have something called Racing Castor Oil but that has unspecified additives in it. I've actually ordered a 1 liter bottle of the Smith and Allen Castor Oil No.1 which they advertised for remote control purposes. Will see how that goes. Another source for castor oil is made by Byron again, it's their Lube Booster whichI believe is just Castor Oil. Trouble with that one is I've been unable to find it easily in the UK (one place has it but £10 postage for a small bottle! I presume they think it's hazardous coz it goes into fuel LOL)

PS. For what it's worth HPi car fuel is just rebranded Optifuel so, although another popular brand in the UK, it's not worth investigating them.

Old 08-08-2011, 02:03 PM
nitroairplane

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

i have figured out that model technics sells gx 25 that is perfect for my cox engines i was wondering did you also send me a message through youtube?
Old 08-09-2011, 02:46 AM
ThermalSniffer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi, yes Ialso contacted you through youtube, but figured in the end it would be better if the information was shared more widely, so Isetup an account here. GX-25 is perfect yes, and pity I didn't spot that before I bought the castor oil! Oh well - next time around. I think I'd have some difficulty getting hold of it though.
Old 08-09-2011, 04:44 AM
nitroairplane

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

is there not a branch of hobbystores local to you if you are really having trouble i could buy some and put it on bay for you and just charge you what i payed for it and the actual shipping cost. no hazmat fees.
Old 08-09-2011, 11:56 AM
ThermalSniffer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Nah, not to worry, there is a store near me who I called today, shortly after posting the above message. Unfortunately they're only open to the public 3 days a week and they only answer their phones on certain days, mostly they're an internet only store. However I called and asked since they sell engines do they sell fuel and it turns out they sell Model Technics Straight Castor which is absolutely ideal. Unfortunately I already have a 1 liter bottle of model engine castor oil on my way to me but hey Ican always try mix my own at some point in the future.

Thanks a stack for your help.
Old 08-10-2011, 03:13 AM
nitroairplane

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Im glad you found what you need but I think the castor straight has ni nitro just methanol and castor oil thats why i use GX 25 Will Hesketh the man behind FMK models runs a lot of 1/2a i think he has an other source for fuel.
Old 08-10-2011, 12:54 PM
ThermalSniffer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The Straight Castor GN-25 contains 25% Nitromethane. Should be alright. I'll let you know how Iget on. Thanks for your help! Just had my first diesels arrive today, a couple of original MIlls 75's so will ask the model store about that tomorrow too. Hoping they'll have ModelTechnics D1000. I only intended to get one Mills but buying on eBay Ithought I'd have a better chance by bidding on a few. Serves me right The prices are crazy for such a simple contraption when compared to modern IC engines. I'll have to choose one and sell the other.
Old 08-10-2011, 01:51 PM
nitroairplane

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

yup prices are high for mills engines  but they are classic funnily enough i picked up a litre of d1000 today at my local hobbystores whenever i go there i like diesel and then at least one customer looks at me and says Diesel? and me or a worker has to explain that there are diesel models too.
Old 08-17-2011, 08:00 AM
earlwb

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Cox International
Indra,
They are not from us and you better grab one if you need it as they are becoming really hard to get.
We sort of have plans to make them but they are quite expensive to manufacture and we are not quite ready to tie up such a large amount of $$'s when we can get more "bang-for-the-buck" with other parts.
Bernie
I think I remember seeing and using some sort of a silicon rubber like muffler contraption at one time or another.
I was thinking it worked more like a Whoopie Cushion at the time.
I wonder if something like that would work and be cost effective.
Old 08-25-2011, 08:59 PM
ThermalSniffer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

In the end my LHS was unable to supply any suitable fuel. Each time I go there I seem to come out being scolded for asking for products from 'yesteryear'. Needless to say I've decided I am not supporting that shop anymore. The guy sells to the ARTF foamie crowd predominantly. The last straw was getting war and peace recited to me while looking through his balsa stocks because nobody uses 'that stuff anymore' and, he says, he will not be restocking.

Anyway, really only coming back to report that my Castor + Byron rc car fuel mix, as described earlier in this thread, works perfectly. The only problem is that I now have far too much fuel on hand. Can there be such a thing? Yes, when you only have a couple of Cox 020's to run, neither of which currently reside in a model. I'm thinking of bottling the stuff up ready mixed into 100 or 250ml HDPE bottles with the safety caps and selling just to cut down my own stocks of the stuff.
Old 08-26-2011, 01:45 AM
nitroairplane

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

i might be interested in buying some but first what are the % of oil and nitro.
at least you can run your engines.
but if you really need some GN 25 i can buy some and you send me some money or paypal and ill send it to you.