Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

CA accelerator problem

Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

CA accelerator problem

Old 06-12-2011, 04:56 AM
tewitt1949

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CA accelerator problem

Hi All. I recently discoved something that was somewhat expensive. I use accelerator for my business and my rc hobby so when I order it, I order several bottles at once to save on shipping. About 1 1/2 years ago I ordered 6- 8 oz bottles. When I received them they only 3/4 full. I weighed them all individually and I was about 8 oz short total. I called customer service and told them about the problem and I was about 8oz short. They said they had another complaint about the same thing. They sent me 6 new bottles, so I had 12 bottles when it was all over. I would have been happy with just 1 bottle. I have the little spray bottle that I fill and use.

Anyways, I was down to my last 6 bottles, and I grabbed one to fill my sprayer and it was about empty. I didn't think much about it as I may have used it before. So I grabbed another bottle and it was about 3/4 empty, EMPTY!!!. I checked the remaining 5 bottles and they were 3/4 empty also. What the heck. All caps were on tight.

So after coming back to my sences, I then realize the plastic bottles must be absorbing the accelerator. To save the remainder of the accelerator I dumped it all in a glass jar.

I was a little ticked but with the extra they orginally sent, I probably came out about even. Just a little FYI.
Old 06-12-2011, 07:06 AM
Miniature Aircraft Factory

Default RE: CA accelerator problem

My main business is as chemist in the manufacture of adhesives at Starloc / Fivestar adhesives (in the UK), i know a lot about this problem!

The activator if not being absorbed into the plastic, it isgoing through the plastic , as it goes through it leaves some active component in the plastic wall but most goes through, the chemicals left in the wall of the container swell the plastic making the gaps bigger again so more can escape, this will not happen if a correct bottle selection has been made and bottle is stored in the reccomended conditions ( if they are listed )

Most activators / accelerators produced can not be stored in standard plastic bottles , you need a speciic formula manufactured for use in a plastic bottle as well as a specific bottle that is produced to handle the formula.

We do a few formulas ( non whitening, super fast , foam safe etc )and all but one formulaare fine in one of two types of our specialy produced plastic bottles ( the other formula requires glass ) , however if you decant them into another similar looking bottle they probably will not store.

A lot of the problems are caused these days by companys buying a large container from a manufacturer ( formulated usualy for glass or aerosol use ) and filling into any bottle they can get, not knowing how test the packaging before using it, if they bought pre packed from a manufacturer it prorbaly would not be as much of a problem
Old 06-14-2011, 06:53 PM
tewitt1949

Default RE: CA accelerator problem

I just got a good surprise. I just received a package from UPS, they delivered 6 more bottles of activator. I was really surprised as they wern't the fault of the problem. They had nothing to do with it. I called customer service and thanked them as they didn't have to do it.
Tower Hobbies you have a good customer service department. Thank You