Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Somebody asked for an .010 plane?

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Somebody asked for an .010 plane?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2003, 11:42 AM
DICKEYBIRD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Somebody asked for an .010 plane?

Here's one that'd keep you outta trouble for a while. I took this pic at the 1999 S.M.A.L.L. in Maumelle. Dan Walton's Spruce Goose powered by 8, count 'em 8 screaming .010's!!

I figured watching him start all the engines would be like one of the old Ed Sullivan shows where the guy would see how many plates he could keep spinning on the top of the poles at once. He'd have to run from 1 to the other as they slowed down and spin them back up. Not Dan, he calmly started each one until they were all singing sweetly and up she went!

He said he built it to a wingspan that would allow him to enter an IMAA event.....with Cox power!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	101877_7026.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	57704  
Old 08-15-2003, 11:43 AM
DICKEYBIRD

Nuther pic:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	101878_7026.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	57705  
Old 08-15-2003, 12:24 PM
Tim Wiltse-RCU

All I can say is WOW! Clearly the amount of drugs someone has to be on to try something like that must be illegal!!! Did you see it fly?

Later,
Tim
Old 08-15-2003, 12:57 PM
DICKEYBIRD

Originally posted by Tim Wiltse
Did you see it fly?
Absolutely! When I got out of the van and looked up at the 1st S.M.A.L.L. fly-in I went to a year or 2 before the pic was taken, this plane was flying around beautifully. I though it was electric it was so quiet. When it landed, I walked over for a closer look and my eyes bugged out like a cartoon character!! EIGHT Cox engines on the same plane? I though I'd died and gone to heaven!

Apparently, all those engines running fairly close together had some kind of noise cancelling effect 'cuz it was eeirily quiet.
Old 08-15-2003, 12:59 PM
DICKEYBIRD

Originally posted by Tim Wiltse
Clearly the amount of drugs someone has to be on to try something like that must be illegal!!!
Nope, Dan was still a Cox-a-holic in those days.....he was just high on Cox-a-hol! (Rim shot) Groan, now how often do I get a chance to use that one!
Old 08-15-2003, 01:18 PM
BuzzBomber
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All I can say is WOW!
:spinnyeye Tim, you took the words right out of my mouth! That is really amazing! I've been trying for a while to work up the nerve to design something using one .020 engine and two channels, and even that seems far out at this point.
Old 08-16-2003, 04:22 PM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Milton:

It's already been said, but "WOW!!!" is the best word for it.

Did he have fuel tanks external to the engines? Bet he started the outboards and worked his way in one on each side, until he got the inners running. So the outboards would quit first, of course.

The way you described the flight he must have had throttle control of some sort, but I don't see anything in the two pictures.

And my final word: WOW!!!

Bill.
Old 08-18-2003, 11:19 AM
DICKEYBIRD

Yes, definitely had external tanks....run time was 4 or 5 min. if memory serves. No throttles fitted, after all he is human!!

Funny, I don't remember what order he started them in but probably was as you suggested. They just started dying in no particular order and the plane just kept flying majestically....after 4 or so quit it was definitely a powered glide from then on with a deadstick landing. Very, very cool!