Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Getting Back Into It - Workshop Ideas

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Getting Back Into It - Workshop Ideas

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 04:06 PM
Bipe Flyer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Getting Back Into It - Workshop Ideas

Since having kids I've found my modelling time and space to be very limited. We re-modeled the basement so the kids could have a place to watch TV and play, so there went my workshop. I'm in the process of getting a permit to build a new 576 square foot (24 X 24) workshop and I could use a few ideas on how to lay it out. It will also be a storage space for many of my planes, fuel and engines etc. Any ideas?
Old 07-05-2011, 03:31 PM
skaliwag
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Getting Back Into It - Workshop Ideas

I'll help ya Bipe... You will need it so you know where everything is.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh14469.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	1631917  
Old 07-06-2011, 06:44 AM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Can you post a plan or at least a sketch of what the floor plan would look like? Much needs to be taken into account for windows and the like.

The good news is that 24x24 is a nice size. But it's still worth planning it well in order to maximise your future usefulness.

A list of what power tools you have or plan on getting in the near future would help as well. And will it be used exclusively for models or will there be some general woodworking tools? For example to set up for proper use of a table saw requires a clear space of roughly 18 x 7 feet to allow sheet products to be handled.
Old 07-09-2011, 01:19 PM
ZAGNUT

i just recently went from around 7,000 square feet of shop space down to 800 so i'm learning the art of shelf building and filling the dumpster with junk. this space used to be the office, lobby, lunch room and bathroom of the larger area so the layout is real wanky to work with, you're better off starting from scratch. get the ceiling as high as you can or at least 10'. regular windows can really screw up your available shelf/wall space so think about using clerestory windows to let in the light. at least one very tall and wide garage style door for when you drag home a big mill or lathe. lots and lots of shelving.
Old 07-10-2011, 08:43 AM
Cross Check

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Bipe Flyer,

Any 'wall' benches eventually attract clutter.
(see skalliwag's great picture for proof !)

Best shops I know keep the central in/out area clear.

A central, moveable (4X8) 'project' bench is priceless !
The rest is just 'crap I need' one day...

Think, where your vice would be most useful?...

Both Buterate and Nitrate dope addicts need ventilation. Think !

You will figure it out !

Oh Yeah,
(This one is awesome, from my 80yr old Dad)

Make an area for your kids to learn creativity, with your balsa scraps ...

Take care,
Have fun,
Dave'crosscheck'Fallowfield
Maac 6437
Unabashed Combat Team
Old 07-10-2011, 09:47 AM
ZAGNUT

ORIGINAL: Cross Check

A central, moveable (4X8) 'project' bench is priceless !
The rest is just 'crap I need' one day...

yep, walls are for shelving or machines. my current work table is a 4'x12', heavy steel frame, junk shelf below and 2" thick MDF top (2 layers). IMO, thick MDF makes the best work surface if you need something solid and flat. i used to have a bunch of similar 4'x8' tables on wheels but this one rarely if ever needs to move so i just use the pallet jack.

another thing i use a lot is a 4'x8' whiteboard (just smooth formica faced ply) hung on a wall.
Old 07-16-2011, 07:24 AM
skaliwag

You need one of these also.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96840.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	1635888  
Old 07-16-2011, 10:35 AM
nitroairplane

skaliwag i think i need on of those
Old 07-16-2011, 05:13 PM
skaliwag

That is because you live in "Blighty"
Old 07-17-2011, 07:47 AM
g-rock

Bipe Flyer,
My shop is 20' x 24' with the second floor for storage. The walls are lined with tools and shelves. Slightly off center of the shop is a 4' x 8' work bench with a white Formica top. It has built in drawers with the center drawers being just over 36" wide on the inside so as to store balsa etc. The free standing work bench is about 42" high so that it is comfortable either for standing or for sitting on a stool. Notice, it is high enough for standard garbage cans to be stored under the drawers. I thought the easiest was to share what I have learned over the years was to take pictures and pace them going counterclockwise in two PDF files. The files also includes a couple of head shots showing some model storage. The current layout has served me well for over twenty years. I am now retired and the layout is still maturing.
Hope this helps with your decisions. Good luck.
Gene
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Gd93980.pdf (508.1 KB, 13 views)
File Type: pdf
Ea84443.pdf (406.4 KB, 12 views)
Old 07-17-2011, 07:10 PM
vertical grimmace

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

One of the things I will want for sure in my "dream" shop is an island bench in the middle of the room. That way I can walk around my model. I guess it depends on how big your projects are as to how much this matters.
The other thing is, I like to have all of my machines set up and have power to them so I can just turn them on. Having to plug in the scroll saw and then unplug it and then plug in the drill press, then to the sander etc. You see, it can be a pain. One of the things I find is I like to try to optimize my time. Wasting it chasing things down etc really cuts into your productivity.
Another benefit of the island is to help with the ability to step back to look at your model when aligning tails and such. It seems I can never get far enough away from my model when gluing on such items. My problem is my models are getting very large and I need a lot more space than I used to.
Good luck. The shop is my favorite place to be. Unfortunately I do not have one now. I am still dreaming of mine.