Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Tell me all about W style .049 glow heads

Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Tell me all about W style .049 glow heads

Old 07-20-2011, 10:07 PM
astronomer1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tell me all about W style .049 glow heads

I have acquired 4 W style element .049 glow heads. I ran one on a TD .051. I misplaced my Tach so I don't have any empirical data. By ear the engine runs essentially the same whether a #325 or a #? W plug is used. The only thing that I notice when hooking my starter battery to each one, off the engine, the W plug glows very brightly. Tell me all that you as my curiosity Is killing my cat.
Old 07-21-2011, 04:33 AM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Tell me all about W style .049 glow heads

It was the basic stock low compression lowest performance Baby Bee plug of the day.  The Tee Dee plugs with the swirl marks on top were the desirable ones with the trumpet shape combustion chamber as opposed to the bowl on  the   " W"     one.  They worked OK  if performance wasn't an issue.  After a while when the battery is disconnected they lose rpm. and they are even lower performance.  They are less critical to the needle setting, oddball size props and throttles.
Old 07-21-2011, 11:17 AM
Jim Thomerson

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They were made by several manufacturers. I think there was a patent lawsuit and they went away.
Old 07-21-2011, 03:40 PM
READYFLY

Does anyone know if any of the electric makers, like Park Zone, are researching the possibility of including the  actual sound of  the airplane? I enjoy flying my T28 but would so like to here the sound of the engine .
Roger
Old 07-21-2011, 04:05 PM
Jim Thomerson

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Several years ago there was a video of an electric Thunderbolt. It sounded good, but was said that the sound was a recording from a Corsair. (Did they have the same engine?) I think I have seen an ad for an engine noisemaker Someone needs to develop a divice which sprays hot castor oil on your airplane as it flies along.
Old 07-21-2011, 05:16 PM
dckrsn

Here's some w element head info.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_46...tm.htm#4727133
Bob

Old 07-22-2011, 08:53 AM
iskandar taib
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: Jim Thomerson

Several years ago there was a video of an electric Thunderbolt. It sounded good, but was said that the sound was a recording from a Corsair. (Did they have the same engine?) I think I have seen an ad for an engine noisemaker Someone needs to develop a divice which sprays hot castor oil on your airplane as it flies along.
Yup.. both used the R-2800 Double Wasp. The difference was that the P-47 had the belly mounted turbocharger, while the Corsair used mechanical supercharging. The P-47 was best at high altitudes, the Corsair at medium altitudes. I imagine they sounded quite different, since the exhausts were vented in different ways.

Iskandar