Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

049 or 051 engine

Old 07-24-2011, 10:13 AM
Miniature Aircraft Factory

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 049 or 051 engine

Going through a box of engineslooking for something that runs well, ive found a bag of 5 identical engines, the engines were collected from customerswhen we sold them between 1992 and 1999 returned as not running i think these were from 1997 ( bit of paper in the bag ) , we just replaced them as i could keep the bits for myself and most were fine, just grass under the reed

The engines have no tank, black backplate, silver crankcase, standard glowhead,no number on the cylnder,twin slotted exhaust, twin ports in the liner one on each side ( very smooth cut once ) and a groove around the bottom of the piston just like the TD051, and they arefitted with the auto engaging snap starter, its hard to see but there may be the slightest of spi ( but nothing like the amount on the TD051 )

Has anyone any ideawhat they are? , they seem to be quite powerfull

i dont remember selling any cox engineswith no tank other than the killer bee, but i can only remember them with yellow tube as the needle valve and a gold crankcase

I have them marked as 049s but they have the piston groove?

Old 07-24-2011, 10:23 AM
icerinkdad

Default RE: 049 or 051 engine

About that time Cox was assembling engines from parts boxes where they really were not very careful with what they used. It sounds like they used some late production run 051 parts in some "product" engines. Enjoy your good fortune and if you decide to part with one or two drop me a line.
Bob
Old 07-24-2011, 02:42 PM
nitroairplane

Yeah what Bob said seems right the later cox engines before they dissolved were a bit mix and match
Old 07-24-2011, 05:10 PM
controlliner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Killer Bee series came in .051 versions for "A" class flying. I believe they had two grooves on the lower piston skirt.