Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

.051 Cloning to .050 Tee Dee RC revisited

Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

.051 Cloning to .050 Tee Dee RC revisited

Old 09-03-2011, 11:27 AM
astronomer1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default .051 Cloning to .050 Tee Dee RC revisited

Yesterday while tweaking/cloning my .051 Tee Dee that now has a .050 RC carb,a funny incident occurred. The engine was running well (Good idle of about 6k and a 17-18K top end). Suddenly, the engine came to a screeching halt in about 1 millisecond. Out of reflex I tried to turn the prop. No turnie of the prop. My next thought was that I must have a broken Rod or Crankshaft. I took the crippled engine to my shop, removed the Cyl. and Muffler and all was well, no broken rod or crank. Thank god or satan except the Crankshaft still wouldn't turn. Ah, maybe the Crankshaft journal is frozen. I removed the Prop Plate. Got out my handy-dandy COX 1530 Universal Wrench with Colet Spanner to remove the Carb body and voila the collet was not contacting and clamping the Carb. Body. This is where I concluded that the Collet had loosened itself and wound up against the Prop Plate thus rapidly stalling the engine.
Moral of the story, periodically tighten the Carb. Body Retainer Nut (collet) so that it stays put. Check out the attached drawing on the
other site (RCgroups.com) for a visual rendering of what happened. I couldn't get it uploaded to this site. Won't take .bmp files. Has anyone else ever had this sort of thing happen on a Tee Dee? Would Blue Locktite on the threads help alleviate this problem?
Old 09-03-2011, 11:37 AM
Mr Cox

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: .051 Cloning to .050 Tee Dee RC revisited

Can't say that I've had that particular problem but most things can come loose due to vibrations. With the 05RC there are also some revs where it vibrates a lot. Mine has something just around 17000rpm, so it needs a smaller prop to get well away from that region. The APC 5.7x3 is a nice load, and the small bladed cox 5x4 also works.
Old 09-03-2011, 12:14 PM
nitroairplane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: .051 Cloning to .050 Tee Dee RC revisited

It happened to my .010 i used red thread lock and it has never happened again.
it did happen when the engine was running at about 30,000 rpm an vibrating loads.