Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

.049 VA split case

Old 09-07-2011, 05:26 PM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default .049 VA split case

My engine guy at the field today showed me one he did up. Spins a APC 1/2 4.5x4 prop at 25,000-25,300 on 5%. It is rear exhaust. It also is only 1.25 ounces. I know they dont make them any more but does any one out there have any new in the box might willing to get rid of or know where to get some?
Old 09-08-2011, 12:19 AM
ffkiwi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: .049 VA split case

These were made over 20 years ago-and are long since out of production. They were superseded about 12 years ago (ca 1999) by a Mk2 version which was even better-but lot more reliable and a bit heavier and of more conventional construction-but these too are long out of production and the Russian manufacturer is no longer involved with model engines in any way shape or form [a great pity]
Only likely place to find them is Ebay, or on the NFFS for sale items-maybe the MECOA wanted/for sale listings. I have four of various pedigree plus the 020 (which was a big disappointment!)

ffkiwi
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60627.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	1659509   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn40172.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	1659510   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc78545.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	1659511   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bv60852.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	1659512  
Old 09-08-2011, 07:04 AM
airraptor

Yes that is the one the mark 1. it is a very small engine. it has a adjustable timing/compression piston. the connecting rod screws into the piston. once you get it to the setting you like you loctite it into place.

Anyway 25,000 on a 4.5x4 out of it. would be perfect on a 10 ounce 100Sq plane.
Old 09-08-2011, 07:16 AM
Mr Cox

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They do show up on ebay every now and then. I have scored two NIB that way during the last few years. The low weight and tune-ability is quite amazing.
Old 09-08-2011, 07:51 AM
DeviousDave

ORIGINAL: ffkiwi

These were made over 20 years ago-and are long since out of production. They were superseded about 12 years ago (ca 1999) by a Mk2 version which was even better-but lot more reliable and a bit heavier and of more conventional construction-but these too are long out of production and the Russian manufacturer is no longer involved with model engines in any way shape or form [a great pity]
Only likely place to find them is Ebay, or on the NFFS for sale items-maybe the MECOA wanted/for sale listings. I have four of various pedigree plus the 020 (which was a big disappointment!)

ffkiwi

Holy Crap! One of my VA's is an .061 apparently!?!

The case, venturi, double retaining screws on the bottom half etc are identical, but mine has a Cox glow head on it. I thought it was an early proof of design/prototype engine because it's a little beefier than the production engines (casting is nicer, better developed) and didn't have an exhaust flange.

This one has a "2" electric penciled on the bottom of the case, and a tiny "2" at the flange on the rear of the case. Dang, this made my day... I'll bet this is one really rare engine.

I'll measure the bore when I get the opportunity (about to go on vacation) to make sure, Dan Rhein was selling off a handful of these engines along with plans/drawings a few years ago. Some were nickle coated on the outside of the cases and were really attractive. He called them .049's, maybe he didn't know or maybe they did both .049's and .061's in the same early case?
Old 09-08-2011, 07:58 AM
DeviousDave

ORIGINAL: Mr Cox

They do show up on ebay every now and then. I have scored two NIB that way during the last few years. The low weight and tune-ability is quite amazing.
The VA is my favorite engine of all time. The purity of the design, the light weight, the adjustable port timing, the interchangeable venturies, the rear exhaust tapped for a tuned pipe etc. makes this a special engine compared to even a Cyclon with it's better power and construction.

One standout of the VA is how quiet the muffler is and how little power it uses up. AndyW has well documented how they throttle with a carb, these are just great little motors. I think I have 7 or 8 now, most are the low serial # engines (under 2,000) that had the hotter port timing for Russian style props. I never pass an opportunity to buy one when the price is reasonable... Speaking of which, there is one on FeEbay right now at a price that is unreasonable to me but might be to someone who doesn't have as many as I do. I'd wait him out a little and make an offer.
Old 09-08-2011, 10:10 AM
airraptor

I would like to have one. Our engine guy has many engines of all kinds but doesnt want to part with them much. He did give me a russian rear exhaust .09 with pipe to build a speed plane for.

I am designing a small plane for him now to fly with that engine.
Old 09-08-2011, 11:18 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Dan Rutherford....originator of the split case version...[425] 481-5760 might be of some help.

Jeff Rein...made upgraded rods...[253] 639-2248 might know some guys sitting on some good specimens. Once the Cyclon came out, these engines became nothing more than "practice" engines for guys who were really into the sport.

Over at Stuka Stunt there is a message board that gets read by dozens of C/L guys who might be holding an old VA or 2.

Mine are all blown up, worn out. They weren't made as bullet proof as a Cyclon or Fora.
Old 09-08-2011, 12:55 PM
airraptor

Cp how much does the Cyclon or fora weigh?
Old 09-08-2011, 01:40 PM
combatpigg

I don't recall..they are possibly a little bit heavier than a Cox .049. Any plane I've had a VA or Cox, or Norvel engine in has taken a Cyclon or Fora swap without too much trouble. The important thing is to have a stout 1/4" ply firewall that is fiberglassed in to the fuselage real good.
The power is so high that there's no point in being anal about weight. Just keep the wing loading to a point where launches and landings are predictable.
The lower limit for wing area with a 11 oz model is about 120 sq inches. It's really important to find light 1/4" thick balsa for the wing plank...but don't buy "punky" wood that is so light it has no grain.
Old 09-08-2011, 04:06 PM
airraptor

Ok good. i wont do the wood plank wing though I have a few extra speed 400 wings. 98sq, 108sq and one around 129-132sq" that i can use.
Old 09-08-2011, 06:25 PM
danilo-2
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dunno Seems silly small area for anything but a speed run ... 1/2A combat wings with a Cyclon Or Fora that see 'contest' duty are a wee bit larger than that and most certainly Not a sheet of Balsa.
Friend won the bladder grabber on a cloned Foamie mitt Cyclon and it certainly seemed a sizable model, befitting the good power that wee Russian rascal put out.
Note that a fresh Latest edition Cyclon will lighten your wallet by approx $300 by the time you get the necessary for Conbat 'extras'
Assuming you can find a reliable supplier :-). Certainly dampened MYCyclon Lust .
Old 09-08-2011, 06:45 PM
combatpigg

ORIGINAL: danilo-2

Dunno Seems silly small area for anything but a speed run ... 1/2A combat wings with a Cyclon Or Fora that see 'contest' duty are a wee bit larger than that and most certainly Not a sheet of Balsa.
Friend won the bladder grabber on a cloned Foamie mitt Cyclon and it certainly seemed a sizable model, befitting the good power that wee Russian rascal put out.
Note that a fresh Latest edition Cyclon will lighten your wallet by approx $300 by the time you get the necessary for Conbat 'extras'
Assuming you can find a reliable supplier :-). Certainly dampened MY Cyclon Lust .
Last time I checked, Doug Galbreathe was a reliable supplier. The problem is he doesn't place an order until he gets a quantity of orders so that he can get a bulk discount from Cyclon.
Depending on where your money comes in during the ebb and flow of his supply of engines you might have a long wait or you might not.
I have a Cyclon .061 powered model that did almost 150 mph on 30% nitro, the wing is about 125 square inches and it's made out of 1/4" balsa sheet.
The wings have to be very thin on a 1/2A speed model.
I would look at the Stuka Stunt and MACA bulletin boards for good used engines, as well as Ebay. There are alot of old timers who got into 1/2A combat as an after thought who have low time engines sitting around collecting dust.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49040.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	1659706   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gd93953.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	1659707  
Old 09-09-2011, 06:53 AM
DeviousDave

Welp, I checked my VA .061, it's an .049. Bore and stroke are the same, oh well.

The difference in porting is substantial though... they are MUCH lower than on the production engine. Rod's longer too.
Old 09-09-2011, 07:31 AM
vertical grimmace

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I have a bunch of VA and AME .049's I am looking to sell. If anyone is interested shoot me a PM. I had them for CL combat use.
Old 09-09-2011, 10:21 AM
vertical grimmace

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

There was a number scratched on the top of the piston and I believe this had to do with the fit with the cylinder. The rumor at the time was you wanted a lower number. I think it went from 1-4. I had 2's and 3's.
I actually have one that was polished and ported from George Aldrich himself. He really like the engine. I still have it. Problem is it got mixed up with the rest of my VA's. I think the rarity is just the fact they are not made anymore. The MK II really was a screamer. Getting close to the Cyclone. I could get mine up to 25,000-27,000 with the 4" props we used in combat for that moment in time.