Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

1/2a control line conversion to RC

Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

1/2a control line conversion to RC

Old 09-23-2011, 04:43 PM
Honker1
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1/2a control line conversion to RC

Hello,

Has anyone tried to convert a 1/2a contol line to RC? I really don't like building from plans since I have to cut out ribs ( I am bad at it)! Anyways I have considered converting Select Hobbies 1/2a Flite Streak or Nobler to rc, what are are of your thoughts? Also a flat sheet wing contol line model, might be fun?

Thanks,

Honker1
Old 09-23-2011, 06:27 PM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: 1/2a control line conversion to RC

I haven't tried it myself but think a bit of dihedral and a very strong brace on the joint / spar webbing would be advisable as the g forces can be higher.  I would be careful of being overpowered on some planes too or at least careful of getting an idle speed low enough to land. The bigger Nobler is an RC version.  Control line is usually more nose heavy than RC too.
Old 09-23-2011, 06:38 PM
danilo-2
My Feedback: (1)

It may not be all that simple. A 1/2A RC model is invariably significantly larger than a CL one.
RC 's don't have to haul around those heavy/draggy lines so consequently need far less HP to fly well.
Also CL models are not renowned as good Gliders per se.
Star t thinkjng / looking for models in the 30" + wingspan range for a decent 1/2a RC adventure.
Cutting ribs is easier with a template.. you can do them all at once in a stack :-)
Old 09-23-2011, 07:54 PM
049flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I once converted a C/L Ringmaster to RC, powered with an OS Max 25FSR. It was a screamer! It also was a snap rolling, spinning wild ride to say the least. It would spin so fast you could not count the turns and took about 5 full turns of full down and opposite rudder to recover from the spin! Version two had a lengthened tail moment and flew much better.

1/2A C/L planes fly best at under 7 oz or so. 1/2A RC planes usually weigh about 12 oz to 16 oz and fly on the very same engines. It would be difficult to find a good flying 1/2A C/L plane with the proper dimensions for RC.

But what the heck give it a try! That's what the hobby is all about.

Be sure to keep us updated so we can try it too!
Old 09-23-2011, 09:47 PM
mylamo
My Feedback: (1)

The large Flite Streak makes an excellent RC
with a .25.
Ralph
Old 09-24-2011, 05:50 AM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have an Ohio Models Products RC Profile that I want to change to a control line stunt plane, but that is going the other way around from what you are doing.  Maybe a .15 size plane with an .049 would be OK if the weight is kept down.  The problem would be going too fast I think, unless you are a very good flyer, which means it could never be too fast!!!
Old 09-24-2011, 02:43 PM
ChicaWolverina

TOP-FLIGHT - NOBLER. Started as CL then RC, but there's also the SMOOTHIE etc.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=198489

But they needed more power than RC simply because they had to have high enough velocity to keep the lines taught etc.

I had some stick time over a few months on a friends Smoothie, it was straightforward really, but although I never did crash it, it was tense when it would flick 90 deg on the base leg, so you had to be sharp at low speed.