Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

NVEngines

Old 10-11-2011, 05:58 AM
pcjohnson_ohio

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NVEngines

Has anybody ordered from http://www.nvengines.com/ ?
I just found this website
Thanks
Pete Johnson
Toledo, Ohio
Old 10-11-2011, 06:25 AM
Mr Cox

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: NVEngines

They have been up for some time now. I have had very quick deliveries from them but it seems that they are offering old stock (and some very old stock) rather then new things, and the standard is a little lower than what it used to be when it was run by Norvel. The last glow plugs I got from them was of the older cold types (pre-freedom plug) and the engines are not delivered with any O-rings in the backplate etc. Considering the competition they are not bad engines, but it is not what Norvel used to be, in my opinion.
Old 10-11-2011, 10:14 AM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Mr Cox

<snip> ............ and the engines are not delivered with any O-rings in the backplate etc. Considering the competition they are not bad engines, but it is not what Norvel used to be, in my opinion.
Mr Cox

I checked 8 or 9 of my engines, all the later Revlite models, and only one had a backplate O-ring. These were from the original NORVEL production runs. So, it seems that they were shipping without the backplate seals even then. I did notice that NV lists O-rings on their site, but if they are old stock, they may have hardened or deteriorated by now.

andrew
Old 10-11-2011, 10:32 AM
Mr Cox

Well, I don't have any dates on my engines or their boxes, perhaps Norvel skipped the o-ring near the end then.
Out of the 10 or so engines that I have opened up (both revlites and pre-revlites), I have only seen one without an o-ring (plus damaged threads) and it comes from the latest NV order. It don't intend or want to be bashing the company, but to me the quality is not what it used to be.

I have also complained about the latest cox products, so perhaps I'm just turning into a grumpy old man...
Old 10-11-2011, 10:42 AM
Andrew

ORIGINAL: Mr Cox

I don't intend or want to be bashing the company, but to me the quality is not what it used to be.

I have also complained about the latest cox products, so perhaps I'm just turning into a grumpy old man...
From your comments and those of others, I suspect that NV is just selling off old stock, out-of-date models and culls. Initially, I had high hopes that they would continue the NORVEL line, but they don't seem to have any new production going on at this time.

I've been a grumpy old man for a long time.
Old 10-11-2011, 02:17 PM
erik58
My Feedback: (4)

I emailed them for a couple piston and liner sets for a.25 and got no responce[&o]
Old 10-11-2011, 04:51 PM
rcguy59
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ordered parts from NV Engines on 3 or 4 separate occasions in the last 6 months or so. Each order was complete and arrived quickly. Having to order parts by email is a P.I.T.A., but I got very prompt replies, so it really wasn't all that bad. The shipping charges are rock-bottom. I also have the impression (somehow) that the parts and engines on offer are N.O.S. Be that as it may, I had 3 "parts-motors" that are now runners, thanks to NV Engines. I will happily deal with them again and I'm grateful to have a source of parts for my beloved Norvels.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78411.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	248.5 KB
ID:	1673018  
Old 10-11-2011, 05:13 PM
skaliwag
My Feedback: (1)

You have a Baby Birdie. Or is it a Birdie Ten?
Old 10-11-2011, 06:19 PM
rcguy59

I honestly don't know. I got it at one of our club's swap meets a couple of years ago for 10 bucks, ready for engine and radio. It flies well, but whoever built it must have been low on sandpaper, because it's a bit heavy. Here's another angle.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz79112.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	255.4 KB
ID:	1673169  
Old 10-11-2011, 06:41 PM
skaliwag

The Baby has a W/span of 37". The Ten has around 42 I believe. There is also a Birdie 40. They are great designs. Descendants of Mr. Bridi's pattern ships. I have virgin kits of all three under the bench.
Old 10-11-2011, 06:59 PM
rcguy59

36 3/8". It must be the Baby. Thanks for clearing that up, as it's always a bit embarrassing not to know when someone asks. I have a Sterling .049-.09 F-4U corsair kit N.I.B. that I take out and look at once in awhile. One of these days...
Old 10-11-2011, 07:39 PM
skaliwag

Just so I don't get blamed for taking the thread into the Ozone... The models in the pictures have Norvels.
Old 10-12-2011, 03:46 PM
rcguy59

EVERY plane in the photo I posted is powered by a Norvel .074, and 3 of them contain parts recently ordered from NV Engines. Thanks again, Dima.
Old 10-12-2011, 07:05 PM
danilo-2

i have a couple of the Original AME engines as well as a few prerevilte engines All with Plated screw in backplates and None have o rings.
Infact I think an o ring would place the backplate too far away from the crankpin to make it effective in keeping the rod where it's supposed to be.. And the plating is Necessary as a wear surface.
So NO whining about O rings... as those along with No plating was a retrograde/cheap ass shortcut imo.
Old 10-12-2011, 09:30 PM
Mr Cox

The backplate has a groove for the o-ring, so the o-ring does not affect the position of the backplate at all. The o-ring ensures a tight seal without having to over-tighten the backplate. To not fit an o-ring when there is a groove in the backplate will just leave a silly useless, and possibly detrimental, air-pocket there.
Old 10-12-2011, 11:01 PM
DeviousDave

ORIGINAL: skaliwag

The Baby has a W/span of 37''. The Ten has around 42 I believe. There is also a Birdie 40. They are great designs. Descendants of Mr. Bridi's pattern ships. I have virgin kits of all three under the bench.
NIB kits for both just sold on FeeBay for pretty reasonable prices. I'd have bought the Baby Birdy but forgot about it while I was on vacation out of state...
Old 10-13-2011, 10:45 PM
Big Al-RCU

Fellows it could be that every one is correct. I just happened to have three Norvel .061 instruction sheets within arm’s reach and they are all three different in regard to the cover plate seal.

One is an AME .061. The parts breakdown does NOT show ANY cover plate seal. The inspection date for this engine is 12.05.9? Looks like 97 but it’s hard to tell. (I thought this was the older engine of the three, but maybe not.) It’s either a one or a seven, when did these engines first come out?

Another one is a Big Mig .061R/C. This one shows a FLAT gasket, ‘Coverplate Gasket P/N 100129’. The inspection date is 22.12.96. These are both pre-freedom plug engines with the glued in carbs.

The third is a Big Mig .061 R/C Revlite. Instruction sheet dated 20.01.04. It shows a cover plate O-Ring as ‘Venturi O-Ring P/N 300209’, (although the Part Name is misleading this engine has the removable carb and the parts breakdown also shows the actual Venturi O-Ring as ‘Venturi O-Ring P/N 100209-05’.)

Hey, as I always say ‘Why be half safe, put a Venturi O-Ring on both ends!’

No wonder there might be some confusion.
Al

P.S. I don’t know if any of this would apply to the .074.
al

Old 10-14-2011, 04:17 AM
Andrew

Guys

I checked a Big Mig instruction sheet with date of 2000 - it wasn't with any of the engines, but shows a pre-Revlite on the cover page and Revlite cylinder on the parts diagram. This one has an O-ring correctly listed as a backplate seal. I also pulled one of my .074s - the sheet had a 2003 date and the .074 had a backplate O-ring.

I may be the one adding to the confusion. On some of my engines, the O-ring is visible at the edge of the backplate. On others, the plate appeared to seat flat. I incorrectly assumed that the O-ring was not present. I pulled one of those backplates and it did indeed have a seal. So on the engines I reported as missing a ring, all may have O-rings; they're just completely flattened and can't been seen.

My apologies for the confusion.

andrew
Old 10-14-2011, 05:39 AM
Mr Cox

The O-ring is not completely flattened it simply sits in its groove in the backplate.
Yes, you do have to undo the backplate to see if there is an O-ring installed or not.
Old 10-14-2011, 07:19 AM
Andrew

Mr. C -

On the one where the seal was visible, the threads were relieved just ahead of the backplate flange, but the flange itself was completely flat. On yours, is the backplate flange grooved or are you referring the to thread relief?

andrew
Old 10-14-2011, 07:29 AM
Mr Cox

The thread relief in the backplate should give enough room for the o-ring. I think it runs a little deeper than just the threads. It would have been good with a thread relief in the crankcase too though.
Old 10-14-2011, 12:32 PM
Sport_Pilot

Bought one labor day.  Son wants to do the BNF electric, but I don't like electric.   So I thought I would give 1/2 a a try.  Thinking of buying a hummer.  I also have a Cox TD, and a Cox Black Widow.  I have an old Goldburgh 1/2 A blazer kit but am almost afraid of building it, I think I woule like to keep the kit as a collectors item.  Know anybody that can cut a kit?  Not sure if I want to part with the plans.
Old 10-14-2011, 01:16 PM
Mr Cox

If the drawings are complete than you can quite easily cut all the parts your self, that's one of the advantages with 1/2A. There isn't that much to and cut and older designs usually don't have any elaborate shapes in hard materials as they were not meant to be laser cut in the first place.
Old 10-14-2011, 02:23 PM
Andrew

ORIGINAL: Sport_Pilot

Thinking of buying a hummer. <snip> ..... I have an old Goldburgh 1/2 A blazer kit but am almost afraid of building it, I think I woule like to keep the kit as a collectors item. Know anybody that can cut a kit? Not sure if I want to part with the plans.
I have the Hummer plans in PDF if you're interested. They will have to be taped together.

As far as plans for the Blazer, your local copier business (Kinkos, Copy Express) should be able to make a large format copy. If not, local architects usually have a large format copier as does the county and/or city government (for copying plats of subdivisions and developments).

Agree with Mr COX - most 1/2A plans contain enough information to build completely from scratch. For any parts you're not sure about, check the kit pieces.
Old 10-14-2011, 07:10 PM
flyinrog

ORIGINAL: Sport_Pilot

Bought one labor day. Son wants to do the BNF electric, but I don't like electric. So I thought I would give 1/2 a a try. Thinking of buying a hummer. I also have a Cox TD, and a Cox Black Widow. I have an old Goldburgh 1/2 A blazer kit but am almost afraid of building it, I think I woule like to keep the kit as a collectors item. Know anybody that can cut a kit? Not sure if I want to part with the plans.
You probably dont want a hummer unless your a real builder, as I recall its a box of balsa you sand into a plane...PM Skaliwag he has a similar kit, easier to build, I was about finished with mine when one of my dogs turned it into a chew toy in seconds...Rog

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.