Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Herr J-3 First kit w/ pic

Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Herr J-3 First kit w/ pic

Old 10-12-2011, 03:02 PM
skypiratescotty
My Feedback: (32)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Herr J-3 First kit w/ pic

Hello
Just thought I would show what I've been up to. This is Herr Engineering Piper J-3 Cub w/ 48" ws. It is my first kit built plane and while I was nervous getting started, the more I progressed, the more I wanted to keep going. I think I was just afraid I would use the wrong wood somewhere so I really took my time and measured everything to identify the parts. I'm also afraid that I my be addicted to kit building now. Oh well, probably not a bad addiction to have.

So I still have finishing to do ( control horns, linkages, windows, struts ) but should be done tomorrow. Here are the specs:

OS .15 LA
GWS R6N11 rx
Hextronic 9g servos X 5
600 mah NiMH rx batt
4 oz tank

I have a digital scale due in the morning to get exact weight. The box says 21oz but I'm sure I'm gonna be closer to 32oz. Even at 2lbs I still calculate 14oz/insq wingloading so should fly kinda scale and have good vertical.

For those interested, I tried to somewhat match Kyle Franklins Cub in his comedy routine. Check it out on YouTube.

Oh yeah, as you can see in the pic, I added ailerons to help with mild aerobatics.

Scotty
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk27234.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	12.6 KB
ID:	1673534  
Old 10-12-2011, 05:15 PM
flyingagin

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Default RE: Herr J-3 First kit w/ pic

Keep us posted with the flying
Old 10-12-2011, 06:23 PM
skypiratescotty

forecast is for 20 knot winds next five days so it may be a while but i will gladly post a flight report. that coastal low that soaked Florida has moved north and we're not getting rain here but alot of wind!!
Old 10-13-2011, 08:52 AM
skypiratescotty

just received digital scale and almost finished with build. i just tossed rx and switch in fuse and got 2lbs 4oz with dry 4oz fuel tank. Looks like wing loading will be just under 16oz/ sg in at take-off. was hoping for a little less but we almost always have 10 knot winds here at the beach so I guess a little heavy is OK. any ideas on how this thing is gonna fly at this weight with OS 15LA just so I know what to expect?

thanks
Scotty
Old 10-13-2011, 09:19 AM
flyingagin

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

That is a fair amount more thatn the box say, BUT YOU CAN'T TRUST WHAT THE BOX SAYS. It may be an unrealistic wight they printed on the box to begin with (a sales aid). Do some good testing early in flight, explore the stall chactoristics at altitude, power on, power off (idle). Look for sudden wing drops and tendencie to want to enter spin at hard stall. Keep the first few landings a bit hot. Dosn't matter the size, this is my normal testing routine of all new airplanes. Until I prove otherwise I just assume the plane may have some nasties.
Don't fret it, relax and enjoy the test flight, but do be alert and on quard. It should do fine then
Old 10-13-2011, 10:58 AM
dgliderguy

Scotty,

I have this kit NIB, waiting its turn on the building boards, and I gotta agree with Flyingagin. What the box says (21oz) is what you would need to come in at in order to fly this Cub with the particular engine this kit was designed for, which was the Thunder Tiger GP07. I have one of those engines, and a powerhouse it is not. They run great, idle great, good transition, excellent service life, but they don't pull very hard, so a lightweight airframe is important. Whether anyone has ever built one to 21oz is a good question, though.

When I build my Herr Cub, I will be powering it with one of my OS10FP engines. I'm hoping to come in at around 30oz or so, I will be happy, and will expect to have a small Cub that I can fly at the local ball field with no problems. As a point of reference for you, my Pilot 1 Piper PA-12, at 52 inches, weighs 40oz, and my TT GP15 hauls it around just fine.