Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

WWI Rogallo Fighter Maiden Flight video.

Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

WWI Rogallo Fighter Maiden Flight video.

Old 11-01-2011, 05:42 AM
ZoomZoom-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WWI Rogallo Fighter Maiden Flight video.

Well, she is sporting an old OSLA.25, so I guess it qualifies for 1/2-A. She is certainly not scale, and a design I simply invented that incorporates some elements of a WWI DR1 fuselage, married to a Rogallo wing. Man does she fly though! Tons of fun. I'm hoping to have plans drawn up before too long if anyone is interested. Perhaps I can hand one or two out for free if someone does a test build. Anyway..for now...enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPiw3...ature=youtu.be

ZZ.

Old 11-01-2011, 10:48 AM
Tee Bee

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: WWI Rogallo Fighter Maiden Flight video.

Very nice. Looks neat. Seemed very stable once up to speed. What material is the wing made of? I'd be interested in a set of plans.
Old 11-02-2011, 04:22 AM
ZoomZoom-RCU

Thanks TeeBee,

The wing is very simple, made of wood dowels (1/4 inch I think off the top off my head or a bit smaller) and around 4 mil heavy lawn bag material. Once you have the wing frame laid out properly, it's as simple as gluing the plastic sheet to the frame. The nose guard keeps all of the bits in order so that when you remove the central cross member, the wing folds together along the fuselage for easy transport.

The wobbly take off was due to my suprise and gunning of the engine at stall speed, and also the aircraft being out of trim. Once it's set up properly it lifts off smooth and steady just like any decent plane.

Also thanks for the interest. I'm trying to determine the best way to do the plans at the moment, but once I have some time I will choose one method or another and get started. If you are interested in being one of the first folks to try a "plans test build", I would provide them for free to you and perhaps a few others. Then hopefully that group could give me feedback on improvements, if any, that need to be made in the planform.

Anyway, my debate right now is whether to do the model entirely in google sketchup, and then tile the plans so folks can download and reassemble the pages into a large sheet. Or just draw the plans on a large sheet by hand and then "cut it up into 8.5x11 sheets and scan them in. I'm leaning to the latter as I am more of an artist than a Sketchup person, though I am capable in both.

Decisions...decisions.

ZZ.

PS. Annnnd I've never done this before......so I'm learning as I go. Ah well, part of the fun. By the way, here is a link to the part of my website that details the building and development of the design. http://cartoonplanes.wordpress.com/c...gallo-fighter/ Just scroll down and you will get some of the earlier aspects of it's construction.
Old 11-02-2011, 05:51 AM
Mr Cox

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think an actual 1/2a size would be better suited to this forum.
Old 11-02-2011, 06:28 AM
ZoomZoom-RCU

Then you'd prefer the prototype:

This utilized a Surestart and proved the concept.

ZZ.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ur52456.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	22.7 KB
ID:	1681580