Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

COX VENOM .049/WHAT DID I BUY?

Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

COX VENOM .049/WHAT DID I BUY?

Old 11-06-2011, 03:58 PM
airbusdrvr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default COX VENOM .049/WHAT DID I BUY?

At a local swap meet yesterday I bought several motors from a guy getting out of glow and into electric planes. One of the motors is a Cox Venom .049 that is NIB. I found this link for the motor, http://www.mh-aerotools.de/airfoils/cox_venom.htm . This article mentions there were only a thousand of these motors produced. In looking at this motor, it is obvious that it has never been removed from the cardboard holder in the box(see picture of twist tie). Also, it has the Cox stickers, Venom instruction manual and wrench. Is this just another run-of-the-mill .049 or is it a bit more unique? I only took the motor because it was back in the '50s and '60s, as a kid, that I had a couple of .049 planes. I was thinking I might put in on a CG U-control like we used to fly.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81253.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	1683037   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb89218.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	1683038   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ch97325.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	1683039   Click image for larger version

Name:	Un33594.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	1683040   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wh58322.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	1683041  
Old 11-06-2011, 04:21 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: COX VENOM .049/WHAT DID I BUY?

I think you need to send it to me for a true evaluation for authenticity. Good find
Old 11-06-2011, 04:28 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Only a real wuss [[&:]] could own one of those engines all these years without ever running it in a speed plane.....

...I'll bet it was owned by Richard Simmons...?
Old 11-06-2011, 04:55 PM
Cox International

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good find!

Only 1,000 made and regularly go for $400+ on eBay.

Bernie
www.coxinternational.ca

Old 11-06-2011, 06:29 PM
Silvaire
My Feedback: (50)

Congrats on a great find!

Now a nit picky question about the Venom to those who frequent this forum:

Where did the number of "only 1000 made" come from regarding the Venom? Frankly, I think that someone made a guess, or pulled it out of their whatever, or was selling one and wanted to hype its rarity. There are some collector sites out there who repeat this "only 1000 made", but none cite a reliable or documentable source for this number. When something is repeated often enough, it is eventually regarded as fact. I have also seen quotes of "only 1000 made" bandied about in regards to the Cox 05 R/C, Cox 09 R/C, and the early and late versions of the RR-1. The ONLY number that I find credible for a low production Cox engine is for the Cox Medallion .051 Special FF (with a reported total of 258 made) and these engines were a sequentially numbered, single batch of engines custom made for the National Free Flight Society. From the number of Venom engines that I have personally seen - and knowing how widely Cox engines were retailed - I find it hard to believe that there were only a mere 1000 of them built.
Old 11-07-2011, 06:26 AM
rrragmanliam
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Silvaire
I find it hard to believe that there were only a mere 1000 of them built.
Airbusdrver, Silvaire may be right but the point is these engines are rare. The value in these Venom engines is that collectors will fall all over themselves to find a new in box example like the one you have. My advice is leave it in the box, DO NOT RUN IT. If you do run it you will distroy it's value to a collector. With the right parts and set up you can build a reed valve engine that will outrun a Venom anyway.

Rrragman
Old 11-07-2011, 08:29 AM
Silvaire
My Feedback: (50)

The value in these Venom engines is that collectors will fall all over themselves to find a new in box example like the one you have. My advice is leave it in the box, DO NOT RUN IT. If you do run it you will distroy it's value to a collector.

Rrragman
Absolutely!

A new-in-box never run Venom is in the $300+ range.
(feebay# 150682356148)

A pristine looking "bench run only" Venom in the box as originally packed recently brought $136.50
(feebay# 250870580248)

I DON'T question whether a Venom is a rare and collectable engine - only the number of them that were likely made.

Old 11-07-2011, 11:06 AM
airbusdrvr

Guys, thanks for the replies. As I mentioned in my opening post, I was at a local club's swap meet Saturday. A fellow was there who was getting out of glow planes and had about a dozen motors for sale, some new, with very good prices. I bought three Rossi's, an OS and this Cox Venom for $80. So I'm quiet certain there was no effort to pawn off this motor as a "clone." In fact, the price for the motor was less than $20 and I had never heard of a Cox Venom. In fact, I hardly looked at the little motor and just added it to my stack. I initially started a Google search for one of the Rossi's when I put Cox Venom in a Google search and began to understand what the little motor really was. In a close examination of the package, I can see that the plastic covered metal wire tie wrap had never been untwisted and the motor never removed from the package. Most of us when we get a new motor will at least take it out of the package and twist the crank shaft. Anyway, my only reason for putting it in the stack of motors I bought was just for nostalgic reason. Back in the fifties my brother and I used to fly Carl Golberg U-Control models with Cox .049s. I will probably make this one available at some point to a real Cox collector and buy a run-of-the-mill .049 for my use. This has been one of those interesting finds that sometimes occur at garage sales or swap meets.
Old 11-07-2011, 05:54 PM
combatpigg

Sounds like you could easily sell it, turn around and buy a nice engine for a CG control line plane and pocket enough change to spend a weekend at a nearby spa.
Old 11-07-2011, 06:06 PM
vicman

Tell ya what. I'll give you your $20 back and throw in a nostalgic Cox .049 like you and your brother flew back in the 50s.
How does that sound?
Old 11-07-2011, 06:45 PM
Max_Power

Fly it!! , or at least put it on a test stand and run it or sit on the couch and flip it while you daydream!. What if you and your brother would have kept those models in the package in the 50's just because you could have made some profit by saving them till now? Its been said before, but A good memory will far outlast a few $ Hell, post a video of it running and I'll mail you a surestart for free! lol My opinion anyway Todd
Old 11-07-2011, 06:47 PM
airbusdrvr

ORIGINAL: vicman

Tell ya what. I'll give you your $20 back and throw in a nostalgic Cox .049 like you and your brother flew back in the 50s.
How does that sound?
Let me think about that for a bit;-)
Old 11-07-2011, 06:51 PM
skaliwag

Can you let us all know by lunch time .. There are others in the wings.
Old 11-07-2011, 10:02 PM
DeviousDave

My Venom turns a 5-3 Cox Grey 50rpm short of what a TD will do if that is of any value to you.

I won't tell you not to run it, but it's probably fair to say that it should go to someone who will truly want it for what it is rather than what it does. I'd throw it up on Feebay and buy myself whatever engine I wanted with the proceeds.
Old 11-08-2011, 04:58 AM
Clean

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

This collector crap has to stop.  I say it's only 20 to you, take the engine, put it in a vice and cramp it flat.  Then post video and pictures on youtube and tell all those full grown men with their action figures(dolls) and collectable things(toys) to grow up and stop inflating the value of worthless stuff.

Heck, if you don't have a vice strong enough send it to me and I'll stick it in the press here at work.  Will Go Terminator on the thing.  Now, my camera isn't so good but I'm sure you'll be able to tell that it's your engine getting crushed.  Tell ya what, I'll just stick it and the hole box in the press and smush it flat.  That'll show em.  Occupy Youtube.  Fight the 1%ers.  Come on, I could use the 400errrr, come on and fight the oppressive manchildren!
Old 11-08-2011, 10:12 AM
DeviousDave

ORIGINAL: Clean

This collector crap has to stop. I say it's only 20 to you, take the engine, put it in a vice and cramp it flat. Then post video and pictures on youtube and tell all those full grown men with their action figures(dolls) and collectable things(toys) to grow up and stop inflating the value of worthless stuff.

Heck, if you don't have a vice strong enough send it to me and I'll stick it in the press here at work. Will Go Terminator on the thing. Now, my camera isn't so good but I'm sure you'll be able to tell that it's your engine getting crushed. Tell ya what, I'll just stick it and the hole box in the press and smush it flat. That'll show em. Occupy Youtube. Fight the 1%ers. Come on, I could use the 400errrr, come on and fight the oppressive manchildren!

The problem with the Venom is that it's just not that special of an engine. It's not as fast as a TD, and definitely not as fast as a Norvel. It's just a faster reed valve motor that has limited application unless you are running some kind of CL event. I flew mine before I knew how rare they were, it was just another engine...... It makes sense to sell it on and get what he wants instead-that way you have two happy people.

Isn't that what it's all about, happy people? When your hobby has to ticked off to the point you want to start crushing things, it's time to reevaluate things.
Old 11-08-2011, 11:19 AM
vertical grimmace

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

The Venom was designed to run specifically in the mouse I CL event. They performed very well for that class. Cox took suggestions from mouse racers and made certain mods. Mine I bought for $20. I sold it after having been raced and run quite a bit on Fleabay, with no box or anything for around $110. Things are worth what people are willing to pay. That makes up for some real losses I have taken on that site.
Old 11-08-2011, 03:25 PM
Max_Power

Well, I surely don't want to be associated with anyone who's using the "occupy anything" , "oppressive 1 percenters" or any crazy ideas like that...But DD , although it would never be a runnable model engine, "Crushing Things" can be a real enjoyable pastime for me "MMMMMKKKKKK, Thats what model airplanes are all about...." Not usually "ticked off" when I'm doing fun stuff like that tho...I guess selling it to a collector to get a differnt engine would be OK....But EVERYONE INVOLVED needs to go run a 1/2a engine with WAAAY too much nitro to bless the transaction[8D] .Todd
Old 11-08-2011, 05:46 PM
vicman

Sell it and get a Jett for the Speed Rally next year
Old 11-11-2011, 05:57 PM
rrragmanliam

ORIGINAL: Clean

This collector crap has to stop. I say it's only 20 to you, take the engine, put it in a vice and cramp it flat. Then post video and pictures on youtube and tell all those full grown men with their action figures(dolls) and collectable things(toys) to grow up and stop inflating the value of worthless stuff.

Heck, if you don't have a vice strong enough send it to me and I'll stick it in the press here at work. Will Go Terminator on the thing. Now, my camera isn't so good but I'm sure you'll be able to tell that it's your engine getting crushed. Tell ya what, I'll just stick it and the hole box in the press and smush it flat. That'll show em. Occupy Youtube. Fight the 1%ers. Come on, I could use the 400errrr, come on and fight the oppressive manchildren!
W T F ? Really? It's a free country, Go buy yourself a Venom crush the F out of it!
I'll wach for the video.

Rrragman
Old 11-11-2011, 06:02 PM
combatpigg

I understand what Clean has to say. When you are lying on your death bed, do you want to look back on how much money your Venom is worth, or would you rather be able to reflect on the good times that little hunk of metal gave you...?
Old 11-11-2011, 06:23 PM
rrragmanliam

ORIGINAL: combatpigg

I understand what Clean has to say. When you are lying on your death bed, do you want to look back on how much money your Venom is worth, or would you rather be able to reflect on the good times that little hunk of metal gave you...?
I probably won't be thinking about any of this stuff when I'm on my death bed. But your right CP It's all about what your view of an items "value" is. It dosen't have to be and often times isn't about the dollar value.

rrrag
Old 11-11-2011, 07:38 PM
combatpigg

I can see your point too, ragmann. $400 is a lot of money and you can't change that fact with idealistic values about how some toy engine should get used.
I would personally parlay that engine into cash.
As a matter of fact, as the US dollar continues to lose value on the world market, all collectibles will become just as worthless as the paper that stands behind them. So, if you can't get an equal amount of enjoyment out of these trinkets than what they are worth right now, I wouldn't want to have too much of my net worth wrapped up in this stuff.
Old 11-11-2011, 09:14 PM
DeviousDave

ORIGINAL: combatpigg

I can see your point too, ragmann. $400 is a lot of money and you can't change that fact with idealistic values about how some toy engine should get used.
I would personally parlay that engine into cash.
As a matter of fact, as the US dollar continues to lose value on the world market, all collectibles will become just as worthless as the paper that stands behind them. So, if you can't get an equal amount of enjoyment out of these trinkets than what they are worth right now, I wouldn't want to have too much of my net worth wrapped up in this stuff.

That's why I have been stockpiling the heck out of consumables and parts like plugs, fuel tanks, spinners, hardware etc. for the last few years. I can see the writing on the wall too, fiat currency is losing it's status in the world.
Old 12-06-2011, 01:37 AM
engine_ed2

Mine is up for auction on eBay. Brand new, in the box - wrench, + manual + never run. I wouldn't like to see it go for the current 50$! Would you!? Bid it at 100$ already!

VENOM

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.