Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Profi .049-.061s...????

Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Profi .049-.061s...????

Old 11-07-2011, 05:46 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Profi .049-.061s...????

They've been out for SEVERAL years by now and I know of several individuals who have purchased some...and you know who you are....
In all this time, there hasn't been any discussion or any threads about how they have done in 1/2A RC applications....NADAthing.

No Radar based speed claims.....
No doppler based claims, no clockings, no onboard data systems reports, just DFSilence.

What's the deal..?

Old 11-07-2011, 05:52 PM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: Profi .049-.061s...????

It is a shame they are so hard to aquire
Old 11-07-2011, 06:05 PM
combatpigg

They were an easy grab not that long ago from Jim Booker.

Old 11-07-2011, 07:36 PM
RocketRob

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

guilty as charged
Old 11-07-2011, 08:12 PM
combatpigg

Rob....at least you turned yourself in...so you should get reduced charges.

Failure to engage in a 1/2A speed project...first degree.

Old 11-07-2011, 08:16 PM
forsakenrider

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will get myself one for christmas I think. so expect something in the spring (winter is toooo darn cold up here for nitro)
Old 11-07-2011, 09:09 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

ORIGINAL: vertical grimmace

It is a shame they are so hard to aquire
I have (2) Profi .061 engines I would sell. In very good, almost new condition and they run great! Mine don't run quite as well as a Cyclon, but darn close. I have the Nelson and Turbo heads ..... could never make the Turbo head run well at all. Nelson head works great. I tried to get a 1/2A pylon class going here using these engines when the Norvel supply dried up some time back. No interest then everybody went electric. All my Profi and Norvel stuff just sits in a nice plastic box now .... unused. Progress?

Edit: Engines are now sold.
Old 11-07-2011, 09:59 PM
DeviousDave

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The problems for me twofold:

1) I don't have a place to fly such an airplane anymore. I about all the flying I can handle on weekends with John at the schoolyard so I don't maintain a club membership anymore-this makes it really hard to fly 140-150mph airplanes without the police showing up. There just isn't much "unused" open ground in the Detroit area...

2) The airframe I intend to use for this has been suffering severe flutter problems at these speeds and I can't nail it down to ailerons or the V-tail. Until the last year or so, speeds as an electric were limited to 120-130mph on 2 cells because the packs would only be good to 30A. Now you can pull 40-50 and I lost one airplane and have had close calls with two others. I suppose I could glass the wings and go to a conventional tail but I would prefer to get a handle on the problem
Old 11-08-2011, 12:36 AM
combatpigg

Next time you have flutter with no way to shut it down, just do consecutive loops till it shuts off. I set my linkage up for both the ailerons and elevator so that the push rod connects to the control horn at least 7/8" above the top surface of the control surface and the servo end is usually the inner hole on the arm. 2-56 push rods, either with a guide or with fiberglass tubing slid over the 2-56 wire if it's a long, unsupported run. Slop free aileron torque rods are done by greasing the rods and inbedding them in puddles of thickened epoxy.
Sealed gaps are nice, but not absolute musts. I've got some pretty "looney" planes setup with big elevons, stabilators, V Tail [like you laid out how to do] and flutter almost has never happened here, but the Bat Outta Hell flying wing had a slight case of it and I can't remember what cured it. Might have been a servo with backlash that got changed out...?
If it wasn't for a real nice hay farmer I wouldn't have a flying field just down the hill from my house. Part of my reasoning for moving out to an agricultural zone 20 years ago had to do with not just this hobby, but being able to use the local roads to test my hot rod Chevy.
Ironically, the new Sheriffs office is built on one of the streets that I had 1320 foot marks painted on it. 20 years ago there were very few cops, now this place is crawlin' with The Fuzz.
Old 11-08-2011, 06:34 AM
forsakenrider

My buddy here was having flutter issues he thought were coming from the ailerons. Turns out it wasnt that at all and actually the tail feathers. he made a new stiffer set of tails and used kevlar live hinges instead of tape and he had no more issues. If your wing is foam core you can also melt the LE of the aileron with a soldering iron and put in a nice bead of epoxy to stiffen it up.
Old 11-08-2011, 08:01 AM
Max_Power

I did notice while following links from Toad's new site that "hobbyclub.com" does seem to have these, the new Fora, and a few other hot ones in stock at semi-reasonable prices. Anyone ever ordered from these guys?

I'm probably one of the guilty "no-speed flight yet-ers" As I still havent flown my last winters build "AceHeaven" SWR with the 1CC FORA. But I think you know how that mill runs though CP I have cranked it up in the garage a few times to hear the scream and get used to the bladder engineer position, And the wife and I took it across the road to the park for some test glides(I figured if it had enough up-elevator to keep it in a slightly nose down glide when tossed that would be just right for flight) With the late snow-melt off and flooding(and overloading myself on other projects this last year it was just too hard to find a place big enough to try er at the right time. (excuses,excuses)
I'm thinking about bolting on a AME 1cc or a TD for a test flight so I can build up confidence to toss it with the screamer. Yes, I feel lame[] But don't worry too much! , I do, to my neighbor's delight run all of these engines regularly in my smoky garage! It would probably be "hoarding" if I ordered a Profi before I fly this one , right? Todd
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43996.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	1683673  
Old 11-08-2011, 09:22 AM
combatpigg

Your model look great Todd.......but in the wing's scale position I think the plane has too much side area forward of the CG.
If you recall, I ended up performing surgery on my Corsair to move the wing way forward.
It would only flat spin on launches before I changed it.
The other option would have been to increase the size of the fin / rudder.....but I figured that would have made the plane less recognizable.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl28456.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	1683689   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61091.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	1683690  
Old 11-08-2011, 10:07 AM
DeviousDave

There are some things I can do to stiffen the airframe up:

The Ailerons are driven too close to the root which makes the tip more free to vibrate-this is a 5/8" thick bagged foam wing with 1/32" balsa skins and glass for the hinge-there's not a lot of rigidity because they are just so thin. I'll also consider not cutting out the slit for the tip and just letting the aileron flex when moved by the servo. will also consider carbon mat under the skins, but I have had warpage with it in the past over time.

Tail: They are going to have to get spars and glass. I strongly suspect it is the tail that is causing the problem. The last crash totalled the airframe, but there didn't seem to be any damage to the ailerons. I heard a quick buzz and lost control-I was only 70-80 feet off the ground so it was over about the time the throttle hit the bottom stop.
Old 11-08-2011, 11:22 AM
vertical grimmace

Well, if anyone has a Cyclon, Fora, or Profi, .049 only, that they are will to sell, I would be very interested. I need the .049 only for CL combat flying.
Old 11-08-2011, 12:53 PM
Mr Cox

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The elevator surfaces have an odd shape to me, by going larger at the tip you may invite flutter there?
On my QM planes the moving surfaces are shaped in the opposite way, i.e. tapering off so that there is less area near the tip compared to the base where you have better support. Great looking stuff otherwise. I'm gathering building material, and courage, for a SWR build this winter...

Edit; It seems I have confused images and who had flutter problems here. Any pictures of yours DD?
Old 11-08-2011, 02:17 PM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think I saw the Fora .06 somewhere recently for about $170.They had the Profi for $150.I was tempted.HobbyClub. I think they are available. I would rather get one of them than 2 Norvels. I never dealt with them before so I can't recommend them. They seem somewhat more expensivefor some other motors, but it is only money. I figure 10% who cares, any more then it is serious.
Old 11-08-2011, 03:27 PM
combatpigg

I think the only way to get the straight scoop about the Profis will be to ask at the MACA, NASS and Stuka Stunt message boards.

I can personally vouch for the Foras, I've never seen a dud.
Old 11-09-2011, 09:20 AM
combatpigg

ORIGINAL: Truckracer

I have (2) Profi .061 engines I would sell. In very good, almost new condition and they run great! Mine don't run quite as well as a Cyclon, but darn close. I have the Nelson and Turbo heads ..... could never make the Turbo head run well at all. Nelson head works great. I tried to get a 1/2A pylon class going here using these engines....
"I think the only way to get the straight scoop about the Profis will be to ask at the MACA, NASS and Stuka Stunt message boards".

Oooops.........I didn't see your earlier post truckracer. You would be the first that I've heard who got some use out of the Profis. How did you run your's..?

[and don't say "clockwise", that's an old, corny joke.......]
Old 11-09-2011, 11:01 AM
aspeed

I saw a couple of Profis (I think) at Muncie, I was told they were unobtainable but the Fora maybe was..  They sounded wayyyy better than the Tee Dees. They were running really small props like the combat tradition. They were in the 1/2 A combat planes so I am supposing .049.  When they hit the ground the motor mounts on the plane always seemed to break off probably because they hit harder.  The planes were fairly big, almost as large as the F2D.  I think one was a Yuvenko and it looked like my F2D, but was a bit smaller.  They were almost as fast too.  Don't know about longevity or any details, but they sure sounded high pitched, maybe over 35,000 rpm. I want to get one for 1/2A speed but was told the piped CS was better.(I don't think so myself)
Old 11-09-2011, 11:29 AM
vertical grimmace

Hobby club does have the Profi .049 in stock for 149. CP, you have seen heard bad things about them? Or did I mis-understand?
Old 11-09-2011, 12:07 PM
gkamysz
My Feedback: (19)

I also have a Profi 0.8 sitting around. I haven't even bench run it. I have an electric pylon racer I was going to put it in, but realized I can't fly the thing at the club field because it's not muffled. There are no "outlaw" fields that I know of, so it just sits until I can move to the sticks. One of these days I'll put it on the bench and irritate the neighbors.
Old 11-09-2011, 12:37 PM
combatpigg

ORIGINAL: vertical grimmace

Hobby club does have the Profi .049 in stock for 149. CP, you have seen heard bad things about them? Or did I mis-understand?

VG, I've haven't heard anything locally about the Profi....but that shows how long I've been away from the local control line scene.
Years ago there was a thread at the MACA message board about how 1 guy's engine wouldn't hold a needle setting and that's the sum total of the Profi related message traffic...[besides all the proud announcements of RCU guys who own one but never run / flown it].

$149 is a great price, that's what I paid for a .049 Fora almost 10 years ago. The Fora was fantastic, never even had the head or backplate off of it and got literally hundreds of runs on it.
Old 11-09-2011, 12:42 PM
combatpigg

Aspeed......The backplate mounts broke..?
I would mount the engine to the center rib with a single 2-56 threaded rod and nylocks so that the engine is free to swing to one side at impact. The single bolt has plenty of clamping force to keep the engine straight. This is how I do my 1/2A RC flying wings
Old 11-09-2011, 03:01 PM
aspeed

CP The couple I saw break were the foamy planes. I noticed that because I have one at home that ....I never got around to finishing and flying, like everyone else. I was just going to use a Norvel but the Profi caught my attention with the intake turnedup and the power it got.I mostly bothered the guys at the speed circles and stopped by the combat area when I could. I saw an article from the 1960's that had a plane called the Bamboozle that had a sheet alum bracketthat thebackplate screwed onto that pivoted up on elastics for hard hits. It had a cardboard wing and a bamboo stick for a fuselage. It had a combat plane and a trainer variation. Kind of a SPAD before its time. I made a similar combat with a Tee Dee with the coroplast in the early 1980's based on that. It still works good and is in one piece. The nylon control horn is the only thing that ever broke, and that was mostly due to old age brittleness. (and a crash) The 2-56 screw sounds good too for the Russian ARFs. Maybe I'll use two nylon 4-40 bolts or something on my foamy. I should finish that over the winter. The other forum guy that had the problem with holding a setting could maybe try the Little Red Cap bladder. It is kind of a squirrel sized condom made for capping caulking tubes so they don't dry out. They have way less pressure than the tubing.I got a pack of 20 for $5. They are maybe a bit thicker than a balloon. I think the reason no one uses the Profi for rc is because there is no throttle, My rc club calls for a means to shut off the motor, and a muffler. I flew my combat control line there though. I think that is ok.
Old 11-09-2011, 05:50 PM
combatpigg

You can dedicate a servo to pinch the fuel line off.
A muffler of any sort can be made out of silver soldered tin and slip fit over the exhaust stub.
If there's a will.....there's a way.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.