Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Cox PRSU

Old 11-11-2011, 01:23 PM
Honker1
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cox PRSU

Hello all,

Been thinking of making a park flyer using a .049. Has anyone anyone ever come up with a Prop Speed Reduction Unit with off the shelf parts? Plenty of power in a .049 to swing a 8 or 9 inch prop slowly so I could fly a Park Flyer in the street in front of my house. Just trolling for ideas that have already been tried before I go it alone and figure out how to do this.

Thanks,

Pat
Old 11-11-2011, 01:37 PM
Silvaire
My Feedback: (50)

Default RE: Cox PRSU

Kress made one for the Pee Wee .020. It was about a 4:1 reduction and swung (I think) a 7-4 prop. I have one somewhere but have never used it.

I have seen one for a TD .049 too. With this one the engine was mounted backwards and with the gears toward the rear of the unit.
Old 11-11-2011, 04:06 PM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I thought about it too. I have an old old tether car frame that had gears very similar to the 1/10 th scale buggy gears.  Some kind of gearbox with a slot for gear adjustment could be made.  Different ratios are available too.  Watch out for direction of rotation unless a reed valve motor is used.
Old 11-12-2011, 08:20 AM
Max_Power

A setup with dual reduction (4 gears 3 shafts) would be best as it gets rotation back to what it should be. Common RC car gears in between two aluminum plates is what I had in mind. I think the toughest part will be starting from the prop without over stressing the gears? When I was dreaming about it I was thinking a pull start pulley on the crank. Todd
Old 11-12-2011, 10:45 AM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I wouldn't get too fancy.  You could face the motor backwards and achieve the same thing with one shaft.  If using a baby bee it wouldn't matter which way it runs with the reed valve. The car that I have seems to turn the motor over pretty easy.  It would not work as easy if it is flooded maybe but seems strong enough.  Left handed props are available too.