Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Aileron linkage

Old 11-15-2011, 07:19 PM
Beeza
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aileron linkage

I have a linkage/construction question. I'm building a delta wing, 36" span, 254 sq in wing area. Looking at the plane from the front, it has dihedral, then the wing tips angle out flat, level with the ground. These wingtips are 6" long each.

Here's the question: how can I get elevon linkage out on the wing tips from the center of the 'fuselage'?

Because of weight, I didn't want to have to use wire pushrods 15 or 16" long. Plus, the wingtips are angled again, so there'd be binding in a wire pushrod. Are there small cables that might work here? Does anyone have an idea that would help?

Thanks!
Beeza
Old 11-15-2011, 08:30 PM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Aileron linkage

Beeza

I've used cables a lot of times, especially where there were angles involved. Sullivan Products makes flexible cable push/pull assemblies in .032, .056 and .063 cable diameters. For a small plane, the .032 should work satisfactorily. If you use a nice large radius, they are almost friction free.

Search Tower Hobbies for part number LXFU94.

I think this link will take you to the correct selections; if not, use the part number above.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...P?&C=QFA&V=SUL
Old 11-15-2011, 10:34 PM
Mr Cox

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The smallest sullivan (for throttle linkage) works well if you secure it so it can't flex. I've used it to get a single centered servo in the front part of the wing:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt56327.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	1687251  
Old 11-15-2011, 11:58 PM
Boomerang1

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

There's some mighty small, mighty cheap servos available now.

Mount one on each wing & enjoy how easy it is to run a servo lead through the wing!

Another bonus, more room in the fuselage. - John.
Old 11-16-2011, 01:21 AM
Tee Bee

Thanks for that pic, Mr. Cox. I'll probably try that method on a future project.
Old 11-16-2011, 05:23 AM
Andrew

Notice in the pic that Mr COX posted the large radius running from the spar to the TE this will help keep the movement friction free.

One requirement of running a cable in a sheath is to ensure that both ends of the sheath are fully secured. When using small diameter cable such as .032 (1/32"), I also tin the cable from the point where it exits the covering to where it attaches to the servo or control horn. If not, it's small enough to flex - tinning makes it feel like solid wire.
Old 11-16-2011, 07:56 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I vote for having a servo in each wing panel like Boomerang suggested.
The extra room in the fuselage is definitely a bonus, too.
A pair of HS65s or equivalent would do the job.
Mount the servos laid flat under little plywood hatch covers.
Old 11-16-2011, 10:43 AM
Mr Cox

Well, there are certainly more ways than one to skin a cat, and it would help to have a picture of the plane in question in order to give good advice.

Personally I don't like to have two servos to do the job of one servo in a 26" wing. Below are two more pictures of the plane above to illustrate the solution. The plane is really old (built about 30 years ago) and it used to be rudder and elevator only. The space where the regular aileron linkage would be is therefore very limited and I wanted to try something else when I made a second wing with ailerons. With the central servo there are servo extension cables, the space needed at the position of the fuselage is minimal and the wing is really smooth, only good things in my book...

(And yes, I have tinned both ends of the wire to keep it from unwinding and it can also be shape in a Z for the control horn)

Name:	Ec87174.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	1687407   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt61224.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	1687408   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91106.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	1687409  
Old 11-16-2011, 06:11 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Since it's a delta...and most of the deltas I have been exposed to aren't of the slo-flyer type, I'm thinking little bitty servos and small diameter cable linkages are not the best solutions. That is if you want the plane to last a while.
Old 11-16-2011, 07:23 PM
combatpigg

It sounds more to me like the 6" long outboard panels will have the ailerons and the inboard panels on the other side of the dihedral break will be for either elevon or just elevator action.
I've run HS-65s and HS-81s in quite a few 120-150 mph planes of this general size with very few failures.
Old 11-26-2011, 05:31 PM
Beeza

I've decided to go with elevator and aileron separate controls. Here's the progress so far. Thanks to all of you for your input.

Name:	Db86124.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	132.7 KB
ID:	1691740   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql33186.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	126.8 KB
ID:	1691741  
Old 11-26-2011, 06:42 PM
Beeza

I forgot to add that weight currently, using rock hard LE, TE and spars is 3 1/2 oz.
Old 11-26-2011, 06:47 PM
combatpigg

Wow....that's going to be a pretty plane..!

It looks like you have room to lay tiny servos down flat in the wing tips. Sheet some 1/32" plywood across the ribs and use Shoe Goop to glue the servos in.
I etch the plastic servo case with lacquer thinner or acetone before gluing.
Old 11-26-2011, 07:22 PM
danilo-2

A sorta short Goss wing? :-)
I've had No darn luck with those wee sullivan snake/cables.. ever. They always added so much drag that the servo was struggling or the control was just plain sloppy, usually both happened.
 A  5 gram servo next to the aileron surfaces could be good? certainly  be no issues with creaky /sloppy linkages :-).
Old 11-27-2011, 05:55 AM
Mr Cox

ORIGINAL: danilo-2

I've had No darn luck with those wee sullivan snake/cables.. ever. They always added so much drag that the servo was struggling or the control was just plain sloppy, usually both happened.
Sounds like something else might not have been moving smoothly causing excessive pressure on the wire, too stiff CA hinges possibly?

I've tried CA hinges but don't like them, they are either too stiff or simply fall out, I just can't get them right. In the wing shown above I've used the covering as the hinge and there is barely any resistance at all, a single 6g servo in the center is enough.
Old 11-27-2011, 05:11 PM
Beeza

Thanks guys. I also believe in hinges made out of covering material in these small planes. My next 2 concerns are whether or not to add a small, maybe 1/8" sq spar closer to the LE to support the covering better, to maintain the airfoil shape better.

2nd concern is trying to find the CG. I've been to the sites that show how to calculate it, so I think I'm pretty close.

Any comments you have are welcome!
Old 11-28-2011, 04:30 PM
nemoskull

for the CG, might try a foam cutout, then just toss till it glides right. did that for a flying wing once, then just measure on the RC model. the advantage is with no external weight, just the wing, makes it eaiser to get right.
Old 11-29-2011, 03:01 PM
Beeza

What an excellent idea! I WILL do that! Thanks

Don
Old 12-01-2011, 12:42 PM
Beeza

Building up the plane out of foam to find the CG worked great! AND, the CG was in the range I'd figured from the online information.
For a $1.20 piece of foam board, I may have spared the new plane from craching.

Thanks again!