Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

1/2a control line combat plans

Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

1/2a control line combat plans

Old 12-02-2011, 01:30 AM
Phantom805

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1/2a control line combat plans

Hi,

Ihave scratch built and flown a number of 1/2a models over the last 2 years. Iwas looking through youtube and found a really good combat performer. Here is thelinkhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBwbR...eature=related. Iwas wondering ifanyone had plans fora similar style model?The suggested wingspan of36" seems pretty big compared to my 19" lil satan.Ihave a spare Kustom Kraftmanship Tee Dee 051withthe backplate valve and fine needle thread. Iassume thatif Iwanted to use this with a regular wedgetank that Iwould block one of the breathers and place the backplate hose to the other?

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Thanks
Old 12-02-2011, 07:50 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: 1/2a control line combat plans

The bigger 1/2A designs are for the World Class FAI engines that cost from $150- $250
A Cox TD should still fly them OK, but it might not have enough power to keep the lines tight on the 42 foot lines that 1/2A combat flyers switched to. With a TD, 35 foot lines needed a screaming run to keep tight during tight overhead maneuvers.

To get max power from the TD, you drill out the venturi and run the engine on bladder pressure or crankcase pressure off the backplate. The pressure nipple on the plastic front end part is useless, especially for combat.
Old 12-02-2011, 09:34 AM
Tee Bee

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That nipple makes a good anchor for Bernie's throttle spring, though.
Old 12-10-2011, 04:38 AM
Larry Driskill

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.modelaircraft.org/plans/plans88.aspx

AMA still has plans for my HalfLite design from an article in 1988. The photo you get from this link is for a long nose / long boom version and is not the "real" HalfLite. Later I built the LiteHawk, but it is for lighter more powerful engines. The HalfLite is a better choice for TeeDees.

Here's a better address: http://www.thunderbirds.org.au/image...s/Halflite.pdf
Old 12-11-2011, 11:07 AM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

The Lil' Satan is optimized for the lower power reed valve engines and shorter lines. There's really no comparison to the stuff in that video or the models that CP is describing. The only thing the two have in common is that the engines are both technically 1/2A.
Old 12-11-2011, 12:24 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

The Halflite is what got me and a buddy going in 1/2A combat and it won some trophies for both of us.
Matches back then were about survival and air time more than swapping streamer cuts. The plane that pulled the hardest would generally be the one that survived line entanglements because the weaker pulling planes' lines would wrap around the stronger pulled lines [that were still straight] and get locked up.

Even though it was fun, 1/2A never lived up to what I thought would have been even more fun and easier for most modelers to do and that would have been a class for cheap .15s