Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

1/2A Servos Revisited

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

1/2A Servos Revisited

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 12:00 PM
Mr Cox

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 1/2A Servos Revisited

There is one more servo that I have had good results from, the Scanner RC 9306BB (about 6grams and ballbearing) is good value for the money. The ballbearing also makes it well suited for pull-pull systems.
Old 12-15-2011, 08:13 PM
danilo-2
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have (still ) 81's, they work OK, noisy though.  Have a lot of HK hxt900 and 500s :-) these have proven flawless and at ~ $2@ each absolutely disposable. Yet, in 5 years I've had to throw None (0) out. Surprised me too.
 Currently bought some Orange alegedly 'digital' HK variants.
 Dunno what these are like but I couldn't resist the Digital label, besides they were $3 :-)
Old 12-15-2011, 10:59 PM
Jaspur_x

ORIGINAL: danilo-2

Have (still ) 81's, they work OK, noisy though. Have a lot of HK hxt900 and 500s :-) these have proven flawless and at ~ $2@ each absolutely disposable. Yet, in 5 years I've had to throw None (0) out. Surprised me too.
Currently bought some Orange alegedly 'digital' HK variants.
Dunno what these are like but I couldn't resist the Digital label, besides they were $3 :-)
You should give us a full report on those $3 servos when you get the oportunity,(if you would plz)sounds interesting and def. the right price range

I`m looking for servos that will run in the lightweight (I hope) little COX010 poweredplanes
Old 12-16-2011, 12:52 PM
Max_Power

I have not had any personally, But I had a friend who used the Dymond 4.7 in discus launch gliders and raved about them. I remember him showing me once that you could basically fit 2 of them side by side in the space of a HS-55! I imagine the reliability is good because I have heard these are popular in these high dollar gliders. Only 8MM (5/16)! wide. Todd
Old 12-16-2011, 01:01 PM
AndyW

I've used HK servos for years and had few problems. I used metal gear servos in larger planes a few times and found that the vibration would eat the gears.

Not a problem in 1/2A ???

Old 12-16-2011, 02:29 PM
buzzard bait

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That's good to hear about the Dymond 4.7s. I'd only heard about the 200s, which are larger (but still smaller than the HS-81).
Old 12-17-2011, 04:20 PM
DustBen
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: Mr Cox

ORIGINAL: eroc144
Has anyone tried the GWS Naro Super series digital servos? The specs look really good.
I haven't tried those but I have tried other digital servos, and the power draw seemed higher. I only got about half the flight time when I use two digital aileron servos (from Power HD).

Considering how important the servos are I don't like to save money on them. Tried HX servo from HK once and will never go there again.
HS 65HB, and HS 45HB are fine. HS 81 for larger planes (around .15). Dymond was meantion earlier and the Dymond 47 is very good, comes with dual mounts (regular of flat).
Dymonds are HX's
Old 12-18-2011, 12:02 AM
Mr Cox

Well, I guess it is like trying to buy a car from a specific brand that has unique parts, it just isn't possible anymore.

The "economy" series of the Dymond servos may well be the same as the HXT and Tower etc. Their "competition" servos are a lot better though, like the D47-power and D60-precision.

To clarify, this is the D47 I'm talking about;

Old 01-04-2012, 12:44 PM
Tee Bee

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is there another source for the Corona 939mg? I ordered 4 of them from Hobby King but they are refusing to ship them to me. I used a Visa prepaid gift card that was given to me on my birthday. Hobby King was paid by Visa but are refusing to send my servos until I can send them a picture of my credit card with my name clearly on it. Guess their system flagged it as a possible credit card theft situation. I tried to explain that it was a gift card with no name on it but now they won't reply to my customer service emails or even answer the phone! I'm ready to install the servos in my Scalpel project but guess I've been ripped off by Hobby King.

Beware Hobby King, folks. Their customer service STINKS!
Old 01-05-2012, 01:04 PM
Max_Power

I'm with ya Tee Bee...I'm having Hobby King problems right now too. I ordered a bunch of small lipos and v-regulators based on a previous order, which I was actually really impressed with. Quality of product and fast service. This time my order still hasn't been shipped in ten times what the other one took, even after twice being promised it would ship that day (6 days ago). The only way to get to talk to them is via the online chat it seems...And honestly those people are doing nothing but killing time and cut and pasting the same responses!

I've always had a hard time understanding why these places that have a cheap product, PO half the people with bad service ,etc and drive them away. Would seem to me like they could add a bit of service and do 3x the already large volume and make a killing!! People always say "You get what you pay for" , But I hate that saying...I should expect to get what WAS PROMISED..irrelevant of the price..The seller sets that for themselves.

Have you considered writing your name on the CC with a paint marker and sending them a pic? I don't see how it could be fraud to write your name on your own gift card and I bet the nitwits on the other end wouldn't care or catch it? 50/50 chance anyway? Hope you get it settled, Todd
Old 01-05-2012, 01:15 PM
Tee Bee

Got another response from them today basically saying the same thing. They evidently are unable to read very well or just don't care. I just sent them a pic of the card covering all but the last 4 digits. It clearly says "gift" on it. The pic also shows the Visa gift card envelope issued by the credit union which says, "a gift for you". If that doesn't do it, I guess I'll have to travel to Hong Kong to resolve it.[:@] Their system is set up to flag this card as a potential problem but has no problem taking the money anyway.

We live in a mixed up world, don't we?
Old 01-05-2012, 05:14 PM
Jaspur_x

ORIGINAL: Tee Bee

Got another response from them today basically saying the same thing. They evidently are unable to read very well or just don't care. I just sent them a pic of the card covering all but the last 4 digits. It clearly says "gift" on it. The pic also shows the Visa gift card envelope issued by the credit union which says, "a gift for you". If that doesn't do it, I guess I'll have to travel to Hong Kong to resolve it.[:@] Their system is set up to flag this card as a potential problem but has no problem taking the money anyway.

We live in a mixed up world, don't we?
= we absolutely do!!!
Old 01-05-2012, 05:28 PM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

These maybe be heavier then some of the ones posted all ready. I have just hit the 24 mark of these servos. They weigh in at 9 grams but work very well. I have them in helicopters, up to 15 sized electric planes with a problem. They are going in a scratch built Mach None real soon

http://www.hobbypartz.com/9gexidimeges.html

Buzz.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:30 PM
Tee Bee

Thanks. It's great to see some good options showing up here. This niche of the RC hobby has peculiar needs. My honeymoon with HS55s is definitely over.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:48 PM
Jaspur_x

OK, so what`s a good , light servo for a COX010, post a link and I will go guineau pig on them for all to hear about. Light is a factor, and it will bea 3servo, littlest plane that could courtessy of Clancy aviation plans as soon as I get the servos.
Old 01-05-2012, 10:49 PM
Mr Cox

ORIGINAL: Jaspur_x

OK, so what`s a good , light servo for a COX010, post a link and I will go guineau pig on them for all to hear about. Light is a factor, and it will be a 3 servo, littlest plane that could courtessy of Clancy aviation plans as soon as I get the servos.
I have tried cheap 3.7g servos for the smallest ones but they are inaccurate and not reliable (sudden death). The best I have used so far is the servo shown above, Dymond D47, it is 4.7g and has all the accesories one can think of, and then some. The cable has a recess in the side of the servo to make it completely flat, you get parts for a side mount option too. No guineau pig needed...
Attached Images  
Old 01-05-2012, 10:53 PM
Tee Bee

My .010 planes are still equipped with HS55s. I haven't experienced any failures in that application, just with "full size" 1/2A models. I will probably try Futaba S3111s in my next one.
Old 01-06-2012, 04:26 AM
Rubbernecker
My Feedback: (22)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, since we are talking about these small servo's, how does everyone hook pushrods up to them given their small horns. 4-40 clevises are way too big and just bending the ends with keepers does not allow for adjustment (I cannot ever get that just right). I need one end adjustable.

John

My bad, 2-56 is correct!
Old 01-06-2012, 05:37 AM
buzzard bait

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You mean 2-56 ends, I assume.

It's a good question. My Herr Little Extra has the keepers on a bent wire and you adjust the kink in the wire with two needle-nose pliers. I was extremely skeptical, but has worked so far. But only a few flights on it so far.

Jim
Old 01-06-2012, 06:07 AM
Trisquire

......To clarify, this is the D47 I'm talking about.
Those are popular with the indoor F3P crowd, at least on rudder and elevator. Ailerons usually require something a little bigger. They typically operate both ailerons with one servo.
Old 01-06-2012, 07:26 PM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Now, for a very lite weight servo that has worked well in electric 3D planes up to about 8 ounces. I have used these

http://www.hobbypartz.com/kahaoubrmo11.html

I ordered some form deal extreme, 3.7 gram, but they were very iffy. The ones that DID work, worked well, but the rest were maybe, maybe not?

I use .047 wire and carbon tubes for push rods. I use the kwik connectors on one end and an EZ connector on the other.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXJGT8&P=7

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXAZC2&P=7

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXAHE6&P=ML

I also use Z bends on one side and the link on the other.

Buzz.
Old 01-06-2012, 07:38 PM
Rubbernecker
My Feedback: (22)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gee, don't know why I didn't think of the quick connectors. Guess since I don't use them on control surfaces on big models, it didn't dawn on me. [X(]

John
Old 01-06-2012, 09:07 PM
longdan

ORIGINAL: DustBen

I've been using these:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...sec_18_8g.html

I bought 2 to try and now buy 'em 6 at a time.
I'm using them on my 72mHz Airtronics system and have no complaints.
I'm a fan of these servos too - I have them in a [link=http://www.greatplanes.com/airplanes/gpma1470.html]combat corsair[/link] and they run like a Swiss watch. Probably a bit heavy for 1/2A though.

I have a few HS-55s (some over 10 years old) and they all work fine. Never had a failure.

I've also had good success with HXT900 servos. Stripped a few in crashes, and had one with the jitters straight out of the box, but otherwise they work fine.

Old 01-06-2012, 10:07 PM
Tee Bee

Rubbernecker, for .010 size birds I usually use the Dubro micro pushrods with included connectors. For the .049 stuff I usually drill the servo horn holes for 2-56 size hardware.
Old 01-07-2012, 01:30 PM
Tee Bee

Hobby King just sent the following to me after many emails back and forth trying to resolve the issue of getting my servos with a prepaid Visa gift card:

Please be advised that we have received your card image; however, the card holder's name does not seems to show on the image. Could you kindly provide us a copy of your statement which the card holder's name and the last 4 digits of the card number clearly showing?

I sent this in response:

I understand that my name does not show on the card image I sent. THAT'S BECAUSE IT IS NOT ON THE CARD!!!!! As I've already said over and over, IT IS A VISA GIFT CARD!!!! They are often issued as a gift item in the United States for people to spend the prepaid Visa money as they wish. Evidently I can't receive the items that I purchased from Hobby King, though. Hobby King had no ethical problems accepting the money since the Visa website already shows it as paid in full. Hobby King has my money and will not send my servos now. That makes Hobby King a thief!!!! Send me my servos or refund my money so that I may spend it with a business who will actually provide a product as advertised! I'm tired of telling your "customer support" people the same thing only to be given the same stupid response! Give me my money back or send me my servos! It's that simple. Once again, Visa gift cards are not issued with a name on them and their is no "statement" to take an image of. Remember that you've got my money and are not providing any service except for redundant email responses! Why do I have no control here? Please resolve this matter quickly! This is my last attempt to resolve this with you. I will turn to Visa for help next.

I've had it with these MORONS!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.