Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Cyclon / Fora / Profi .049 Speed Trainer

So I did finally get a chance yesterday to fly this thing again. I put a few wraps of plumber's solder around the head like CP said, And it almost completely eliminated the issue....I only saw it try to "DIP" when I was on a high speed downline. After I landed it I added anonther wind of solder...each wind requiring a bit of elevator up trim. The 2nd and 3rd flights were great! Its a really nice, fun, cheap, little model I just need to add a fin on the bottom so I can hand launch it alone, and turn a spinner out of 12l14 or bronze that weighs about what the solder does. . I plan on flying it around the way it is (AP.061 on a 5.5x.4.5 MA) for a while...It seems to get about 5 minites from a 1oz bladder of %25 nitro 20%castor. After that I am going to slap a Fora on and see how she goes! Who knows I may even just glue another pile of sticks together for the Fora tester as easy as it was to build....and having a idea on the cg,etc now. Sorry there is a fair bit of talking in the background But I think I'd rather glue some balsa together than edit video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPPctCAQR7o

Enjoy!! Todd
    \"A guy told me the other day I must be very smart,......I told him \"No!, I\'\'m REALLY dumb, But learning from my mistakes!!\"\"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yeah, that talking would be me.... Sorry, I'll observe proper camera etiquette next time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

This is great news Todd..! Getting the CG far enough forward should make the plane rock steady. If it takes a ridiculous amount of lead, then I'll make spacers out of plywood to move the engine forward.
    The Fora should outweigh the AP.061 enough to save on the dead weight issue.
    Hope to see more Fora based projects from you as time marches on.
    WHO GUNNA FEED MAW KEEEIDS..???

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks! I'm looking forward to getting a few more flights on it this week. I'm sure a bit less prop (had a 5.5x4.5 on) will pull it a bit better so I'm planning on taking it out and trying a 5x4. I have a revlite AME I've been wanting to put some fuel through as well. I traded the solder weight for a surprisingly light screen door pull that will make it a bit easier to launch myself as there is really no fuselage to grab. Kinda a bit of a skid too.

You might remember I have a wing and tail left from my previous SWR for Fora attempt and I am contemplating simple ideas to put it all back together. I think as long as this plane doesnt exhibit any bad tendencies with a bit more speed I'm ready to swap on the Fora...should be easy now that I know where my balance works as it was about 3/4 inch from where I plotted it. Man won't that be a upgrade...From AP Wasp to Fora .061 in 1 "Baby Step" [8D] Todd
    \"A guy told me the other day I must be very smart,......I told him \"No!, I\'\'m REALLY dumb, But learning from my mistakes!!\"\"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Besides getting the CG correct it really helps to use TALL control horns on fast models. The nylon control horns that are 1 1/4" tall [or so] will help give the plane the best feel and will give the servos the best leverage. These small deltas usually need less then 1/8" of bank control either side of neutral and about 3/16" for pitch control. The small throws mean you have to build the model perfectly straight and check for warps before leaving the house to go flying.
    Once you have your's all dialed in with the AP061, you'll really be as prepared as you could ever be for the Fora. It won't seem like such a big step compared to trying to fly that engine in an unproven model. My Fora .049 turned a Master Airscrew 6x4 cut down to 4.2x4 really well and that's the prop I used for this size delta that you're flying now. APC also has a 4.5x4 that your engine might handle OK on this plane if you think the 4.2x4 APC lacks some energy in the climbs.
    WHO GUNNA FEED MAW KEEEIDS..???

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123