Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Golden Bee 2

Old 12-27-2011, 01:23 PM
controlliner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Golden Bee 2

Bernie's done it. He has completed the Golden Bee 2

http://coxengines.ca/product.php?pro...&cat=38&page=1

WEEEEEEEE!
Old 12-27-2011, 01:46 PM
Mr Cox

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Golden Bee 2

It is certainly nice to see their efforts, but it is after all just a surestart in a golden "suite", as I see it. And the surestarts will never have the qualities that once made the true Cox engines famous.
Old 12-27-2011, 04:33 PM
nitroairplane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mr.cox I really know what you mean but it certainly has more character than a sure start.
Old 12-27-2011, 04:53 PM
controlliner

I don't believe there is any difference. I have tried a surestart piston and cylinder on my TD 051 and the RPM was 18,500 vice 18, 300 with the #5 piston and cylinder. Using a grey 6X3.
Old 12-27-2011, 05:21 PM
Rubbernecker
My Feedback: (22)

ORIGINAL: controlliner

I don't believe there is any difference. I have tried a surestart piston and cylinder on my TD 051 and the RPM was 18,500 vice 18, 300 with the #5 piston and cylinder. Using a grey 6X3.
I tend to agree. I have taken a brand new surestart and hooked it up to a golden bee tank that has been drilled out and was getting steady 15,500 and it sure the heck pulled a control line combat with no problem at all. I think taking the time to set them up right is what really counts. Make sure there are NOOOOOOO leaks. I have enjoyed my surestarts. BTW, have never just run them straight out of the box either.

John
Old 12-27-2011, 06:10 PM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think the surestart parts will work fine on the golden bee.  They are all pretty much the same with the exception of twin bypass ports being the best option.  I even had one with the slits for exhaust ports that went way better than I thought it would.  For the money  I would get two AP .09 Hornets with a throttle, ABC, ball bearings and muffler, unless nostalgia is your thing.
Old 12-27-2011, 10:42 PM
Mr Cox

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The quality of the piston and cylinder just doesn't feel the same if you compare it to a stock TD, to me. Are you matching pistons and cylinders from several different engines?
Old 12-28-2011, 05:49 AM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have only had one surestart and it was a swap meet find so I don't know the history.  I would think after break in they should be fit fairly good.  I always swapped out the Baby Bee piston/cyl. for the Tee Dee one, or at least a double bypass one of some sort.  I never had a tach. back then, and don't bother with the reedies any more.  I have about 14 of them around though just in case.  I do like the Tee Dees, even with the single port cyl. depending on the power needed.  We need mufflers for the rc club so they don't get used much.