Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Reciever Battery Help

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Reciever Battery Help

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 11:56 AM
zbuck00

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reciever Battery Help

Alright, I am new to the comunity and have a question. I am used to flying big arcraft and built a House of balsa AT-6 Texan. I am planning on using HS 55 for the servo's and need some help with a reciever and battery set-up. I will be running the big mig Norvel and a RD 6000 FM 72Hztransmitter. My thought is to use a GWS 6 channel Naro reciever (not purchased yet, alternate sugestions appreciated). The question is to save weight what battery set-up is typically used in small gas powered aircraft. Is the standard 4 AA battery set-up ok?
Old 12-28-2011, 12:12 PM
Mr Cox

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Reciever Battery Help

4 AA is too big, 4 AAA should be enough, and you can even go below that if you are careful.
Old 12-28-2011, 03:01 PM
Tee Bee

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My 1/2A planes with 72mhz radios are usually equipped with Castle Creations Berg4L receivers(4grams). Tower carries them.

As for battery packs, I've had good luck with these found at RadicalRC: http://www.radicalrc.com/category/Re...-NiMH-Packs-19 I usually use the 400mah flat packs in my .049 planes. They always have good service and ship quickly.
Old 12-28-2011, 06:28 PM
Andrew

The GWS Naro is a parkflyer RX and has a claimed range of ~300 meters. My inclination would be to use a full range RX - price and weight are about the same as the Naro. I also have Bergs, but you might also check out the Corona RS410 II from [link=http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the-1180/CoronaRS410-Full/Detail]HeadsUp RC[/link]. Price is $11.50 plus a $2.50 crystal. Heads Up has a flat rate shipping of $2.00.

400 mAh batteries are sufficient for 1/2A. The thing you have to pay close attention to in these planes is weight - every gram counts. I've used Radical RC and also have several packs from Cheapbatterypacks. CBP can customize packs with regard to cell numbers, cell type, shape and connectors. A one ounce 400 mAh NiMH is $9.00 .

The HS-55 is a common servo, but has a tiny nylon geartrain. Check out the Corona 929 MG - it's .1 oz heavier, but has a metal gear train and top ball bearing.

andrew
Old 12-28-2011, 06:46 PM
Rendegade

I've been testing the use of a 450mah 1 cell lipo, with a voltage expander, with good success. Works well for a 2 channel .020 cannonshot. I suspect I can go smaller again on the capacity of the cell, but it gives me a sense of insurance that I have about 2 hours use, and flights are only 2 minutes of hilarity at best.
Old 12-28-2011, 08:09 PM
Jaspur_x
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: Andrew

The GWS Naro is a parkflyer RX and has a claimed range of ~300 meters. My inclination would be to use a full range RX - price and weight are about the same as the Naro. I also have Bergs, but you might also check out the Corona RS410 II from [link=http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the-1180/CoronaRS410-Full/Detail]HeadsUp RC[/link]. Price is $11.50 plus a $2.50 crystal. Heads Up has a flat rate shipping of $2.00.

400 mAh batteries are sufficient for 1/2A. The thing you have to pay close attention to in these planes is weight - every gram counts. I've used Radical RC and also have several packs from Cheapbatterypacks. CBP can customize packs with regard to cell numbers, cell type, shape and connectors. A one ounce 400 mAh NiMH is $9.00 .

The HS-55 is a common servo, but has a tiny nylon geartrain. Check out the Corona 929 MG - it's .1 oz heavier, but has a metal gear train and top ball bearing.

andrew

I will have to hit these guys up for some decent rx packs for my 010 and 020planes, thanks for the advice!!

Onmy 049 planes I use the COX 7.2v220mah nimh packs from cox int., decent weight savings from a 4AAA set-up, and nice price. I have 1 in my radical r/c micro stick but it feels heavy,havn`t maidened it yet due to this. And am hoping I can find someone with experience to help making the cox icox 3ch esc work to actuate a throttle servo,so maiden may be a while.
Old 12-29-2011, 01:14 AM
Mr Cox

From Corona you also have the RP4S1 receiver, full range and no crystals needed.
Old 12-29-2011, 06:33 AM
Andrew

ORIGINAL: Mr Cox

From Corona you also have the RP4S1 receiver, full range and no crystals needed.
Mr C -

My flying buddy and I bought a couple of these; I could get mine to work, but he was never able to get his to talk, so we went back to the crystal style. All of my FM Tx are on the same channel, so I never had a problem with swaping out crystals.

andrew
Old 12-29-2011, 06:58 AM
Mr Cox

I haven't had any problems with them, even after crashing. It is nice to not have to worry about crystals and vibrations etc.
There is also a slightly larger one (6 channels) which is dual conversion and still very lightweight.
Old 12-29-2011, 01:05 PM
juanjulian
My Feedback: (9)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have had good experience with 4.8AAA 600 mah nickel methal, and berg 4 l and 7 channell recievers.

Cheers,

Juan
Old 12-29-2011, 01:21 PM
tubebass

Quoting Jaspur x:
And am hoping I can find someone with experience to help making the cox icox 3ch esc work to actuate a throttle servo,so maiden may be a while.

I'd like to do this too, but I'm waiting till I toast an ESC to do so! Should be possible, it's just that those circuit traces are tiny and my eyes ain't what they once were! I'll post here if I get ambitious and figure it out.
Old 12-30-2011, 12:57 AM
Jaspur_x

ORIGINAL: tubebass

Quoting Jaspur x:
And am hoping I can find someone with experience to help making the cox icox 3ch esc work to actuate a throttle servo,so maiden may be a while.

I'd like to do this too, but I'm waiting till I toast an ESC to do so! Should be possible, it's just that those circuit traces are tiny and my eyes ain't what they once were! I'll post here if I get ambitious and figure it out.
I`m nt trying to hijack the thread here, but the big problem is that the icon3 has the esc buit into thr rx,and just 2 wire leads to the motor itself;obviously hot and ground. Some guy actually said plug a servo in and try it, unthinkingly I nearly did this...........until I saw the 2 wires and wondered what to do about the servo`s 3rd (signal) wire. That would have burnt up the new servo fast, and I doubt the esc has a reverse function either.
I was going to make a few phone calls & emails soon (week or 2) to some companies to see what they can come up with for us. Radical r/c was among my list to call/email.

I was going to ask them about lightweight servos and batteries as well.
Reading the sites doesn`t do me much good,can`t keep the tech talk straight in my head lol
And then this thread popped up and helped me along.
Old 12-30-2011, 01:21 AM
Mr Cox

Why use the icon3 when a Corona RP4S1 is less than half the weight and has 4 servo channels?
Old 12-30-2011, 02:04 AM
Jaspur_x

Why use the icon3 when a Corona RP4S1 is less than half the weight and has 4 servo channels?
Because it was a very cheap purchase I like $20 shipped) for a 3ch(which is all I need 3ch) ,I just didn`t read the fine print.
Old 12-30-2011, 02:22 AM
Mr Cox

Ok, try selling to someone who uses those odd electric fans and you can get a Corona for about $18 (plus shipping)...
Old 12-30-2011, 06:57 AM
Andrew

Nice selection of RXs [link=http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the-RECEIVERS/Categories]here.[/link]

[link=http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/StoreFront]HeadsUp RC[/link] has a good selection of small components, very reasonable prices and a $2.00 flat rate shipping charge, regardless of how much is purchased. They also have decent explanations on their web site.
Old 12-31-2011, 05:55 AM
tubebass

Just to see if it can be done, really. I have a bunch of the icon rx and they werevery, verycheap.

Old 12-31-2011, 06:56 AM
Mr Cox

Cheap doesn't help much when you're only getting two channels and an ESC.
The corona gives you twice the number of channels at half the weight, and only cost about $18...
Old 12-31-2011, 10:41 AM
coriolan

The corona gives you twice the number of channels at half the weight, and only cost about $18...
The Corona 4 channels can be bought for less than that:
http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id...1&pid=A3067642
+ $2.50 for crystal:
http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id=A3067655
Or $19.95 for the Synthetized model:
http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id...5&pid=C0365463
Old 01-04-2012, 05:56 PM
Wagon1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Okay, so I'd like to try ...

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXPYL6&P=0

...on my next project. The only charger I have is the one that came with my Futaba radio (NiCd). Would I need to buy a new charger just to charger these NiMHs?

I guess I would need to stick with the NiCds and deal with the extra 1 1/2 ounces rather than spend $50+ for a charger.

Ideas?
Old 01-05-2012, 08:13 AM
alcarafa

I've been using lipo batteries for Rx over three years now without problems, saving lots of weight issues and much cheaper , they sell very affordable chargers as well.

Take a look at this one only 17 grm (0.6 oz), fly time last much longer than nicad's:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...y_Battery.html

another option :

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Lipo_Pack.html
Old 01-05-2012, 08:21 AM
skaliwag

But read the small print... How do they get 7.4v from one cell

B-Grade Lithium Polymer packs are great for those not-so-important models or testing. They have a high internal resistance (thats bad), normally wont last past 60 full high-discharge cycles and may become puffy over time.

B-Grade packs are structurally sound, but lack the performance of our A-Grade packs such as Flightmax, Rhino and TURNIGY.

hexTronik usually sells B-grade batteries to smaller vendors who in turn sell online at a discount. However were now offering them to you at discounted prices, for those not-so-serious applications.

Spec.
Minimum Capacity: 400mAh
Configuration: 1S1P /7.4v/ 1Cell
Constant Discharge: 20C
Pack Weight: 17g
Pack Size: 66 x 37 x 4mm
Charge Plug: JST-XH
Discharge Plug: JST

B-grade packs are sold as is and no warranty is implied or given
Old 01-05-2012, 08:30 AM
alcarafa

Skaliwag i've been using 2 cell lipos , spektrum Rx's handle up to 9v without problems, dont know if futaba,hitec or else, but they work ok for me.
Old 01-05-2012, 03:41 PM
tubebass

I do have a couple of the Coronas, and a couple of Hitec micro rx too. The main reason I bought the Cox receivers is to use them for their intended purpose, the micro warbirds. I'd just like to bring out the throttle channel on a pigtail to see if it can be done. It's the electronics nerd coming out in me!

Old 01-06-2012, 02:59 PM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This is the one i use in all my 15 size planes and smaller. I fly it 2-4 flights then recharge it. fly it 2 times then recharge to see how much you put back in to it. this will tell you what you use per flight. you can goto to around 150 Mah taken out then have to recharge. Why carry around a large battery so you can fly all day on it in these little planes.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXYXA6&P=0