Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Magnum XLS vs Thunder Tiger .15

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Magnum XLS vs Thunder Tiger .15

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 09:08 AM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Magnum XLS vs Thunder Tiger .15

Ihave a Pilot Hydeaway .15 that Ibuilt with a Thunder Tiger GP15. It's performance is somewhat anemic. I'm wondering if a Magnum XLS .15 would have more power. Thoughts?
Old 01-02-2012, 09:54 AM
Mr Cox

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Magnum XLS vs Thunder Tiger .15

What revs are you getting now?

The SC/APS/Magnum .15XLS should give you around 15000rpm on an APC 8x4 prop (and 10% Nitro).

Edit; Included the nitro level in the fuel.
Old 01-02-2012, 10:14 AM
icegs

I can't say much for the Thunder Tiger, but I have a Magnum that I love. I would not hesitate to buy another one. You can compare this to your Thunder Tiger.

I'm turning an APC 8x4 at about 14,500rpm on the ground on 15% fuel. I have it in a Sterling Real Sporty quarter midget racer (there's a picture in my gallery). The plane is way overweight, but it moves along pretty well. I don't know exactly how fast it is, but it will pass a mildly upgraded Stryker straight and level. I've tried a couple other props, but this seems to be the sweet spot on this particular plane. A friend has an OS 15LA, and it doesn't come anywhere close to the Magnum.
Old 01-02-2012, 10:25 AM
Max_Power

The Magnum is a great runner!!! I have on on a Lil Sumthin Extra and it turns a 8x3 MA 17,500 no problem on 20-ish nitro. Pretty loud though..kinda has a chain-saw sound. For this plane its the perfect setup, doing small consecutive loops you can hear the engine load and unload as it goes round and round. It replaced a .10LA and made it a totally different model! Todd
Old 01-02-2012, 10:47 AM
Mr Cox

The weak point is in the quality control, I got one with a leaking crank-case (leaked between the liner and case), and a second that is a good runner.
The stock mufflers do not have any baffle, so they are a bit loud, by you can put most other .15 muffler on there instead (like the OS or MDS superquiet one).
Old 01-02-2012, 06:13 PM
alcarafa

Magnum XLS is a much better engine, have three one gives 21,700 rpm with APC 7/4 prop and MAC's tuned pipe, the others spin around 18000 more or less, I use 15% nitro for all of them.

I fly at sea level and performance vary on the height above sea level at wich you fly.
Old 01-03-2012, 05:56 AM
mtntopgeo

edited out double post ............... George K
Old 01-03-2012, 05:59 AM
mtntopgeo

Don't have a Thunder Tiger .15 for comparison, but I've had a Mag XLS on a Lil' Extra for a couple of flying seasons. Like others here have reported, "what a sweet engine". !!! So much so, that I purchased a couple more, (slated for use in old NIB, Twin Star that has been waiting a couple of years now, for a pair of power plants.) For the Extra, I prefer to prop the XLS with the old MAS generation 2, 8x4 prop. These are nearly non-existent now. (even on the auction site). Presently using the MAS S2 8x4 (about 16,700 RPMs). The 7x5 prop gives the Extra a tad more speed, at the expense of hgh perf. verticle. ........... If you decide to purchase the XLS, Hobby People usually have the best price, &, if you don't mind waiting for one of their sales, the price is even better. ($44.95 during Christmas sale). Whatever you decide, good luck with your project. ......... George K.
Old 01-03-2012, 07:15 AM
skaliwag
My Feedback: (1)

They have them on sale as we type

http://www.hobbypeople.net/index.php...rc-engine.html
Old 01-03-2012, 04:30 PM
piper_chuck

Thanks for the feedback. The price drop was part of why Iwas asking. I've been watching the ads for a while now. It was 46.99 on Jan 1 and then dropped to 44.99 yesterday. Unfortunately, it's gone back up to 59.99 today...

Iguess I'll have to settle for the one Iordered yesterday.
Old 01-03-2012, 04:44 PM
piper_chuck

ORIGINAL: mtntopgeo

Don't have a Thunder Tiger .15 for comparison, but I've had a Mag XLS on a Lil' Extra for a couple of flying seasons. Like others here have reported, "what a sweet engine". !!! So much so, that I purchased a couple more, (slated for use in old NIB, Twin Star that has been waiting a couple of years now, for a pair of power plants.) For the Extra, I prefer to prop the XLS with the old MAS generation 2, 8x4 prop. These are nearly non-existent now. (even on the auction site). Presently using the MAS S2 8x4 (about 16,700 RPMs). The 7x5 prop gives the Extra a tad more speed, at the expense of hgh perf. verticle. ........... If you decide to purchase the XLS, Hobby People usually have the best price, &, if you don't mind waiting for one of their sales, the price is even better. ($44.95 during Christmas sale). Whatever you decide, good luck with your project. ......... George K.
Thanks for the info. Itook a peek in my prop box and found 2 unused old style 8x4 MAS props. There may be a third on the plane, but Ididn't want to get it down and remove the prop. Ifound a few more props in adjacent sizes, including a couple of the teal colored 8x3s. I'll keep them in mind when I install the engine in the plane.

Old 01-03-2012, 04:47 PM
piper_chuck

Do you know which pipe you're using?Ihave a couple .15 size MACS pipes. If one of the headers I've got fit the engine Imay add a pipe. When Ibuilt the plane Iinstalled plywood on the appropriate spot to hold the pipe mount, so it'd be an easy addition.
Old 01-03-2012, 04:48 PM
piper_chuck

ORIGINAL: Mr Cox

The weak point is in the quality control, I got one with a leaking crank-case (leaked between the liner and case), and a second that is a good runner.
The stock mufflers do not have any baffle, so they are a bit loud, by you can put most other .15 muffler on there instead (like the OS or MDS superquiet one).
I hope Idon't regret buying just one.

Old 01-03-2012, 04:52 PM
piper_chuck

ORIGINAL: Mr Cox

What revs are you getting now?

The SC/APS/Magnum .15XLS should give you around 15000rpm on an APC 8x4 prop (and 10% Nitro).

Edit; Included the nitro level in the fuel.
Not sure what I'm getting for RPMS, it's been a few years since I've run it. Imight fire it up for a bit before Iinstall the Magnum. Now if Icould figure out whch box has the test stand...

Old 01-03-2012, 04:54 PM
piper_chuck

ORIGINAL: icegs

I can't say much for the Thunder Tiger, but I have a Magnum that I love. I would not hesitate to buy another one. You can compare this to your Thunder Tiger.

I'm turning an APC 8x4 at about 14,500rpm on the ground on 15% fuel. I have it in a Sterling Real Sporty quarter midget racer (there's a picture in my gallery). The plane is way overweight, but it moves along pretty well. I don't know exactly how fast it is, but it will pass a mildly upgraded Stryker straight and level. I've tried a couple other props, but this seems to be the sweet spot on this particular plane. A friend has an OS 15LA, and it doesn't come anywhere close to the Magnum.
Thanks. Ithink I've got some APC props in this range too. I'll give them a try while testing.

Edit: Took a look at your gallery, nice midget!

Old 01-03-2012, 07:35 PM
alcarafa

It's the one they sell at towerhobbies, lenght is 10" after tuning it ended at 9.75 inches long.
Make sure you use two gaskets otherwise you'll loose many glows due to high compresion.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXZ557&P=7
Old 01-04-2012, 03:14 AM
piper_chuck

ORIGINAL: alcarafa

It's the one they sell at towerhobbies, lenght is 10" after tuning it ended at 9.75 inches long.
Make sure you use two gaskets otherwise you'll loose many glows due to high compresion.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXZ557&P=7
Checked my pipe collection. I've got one of those and a header that I think will work. Iknow what you mean about plugs and compressions ratio, went through plenty of plugs while racing boats. In addition to compression, Ifound it helped to err on the the long side with pipe tuning, avoid lean runs, and to make sure to use a plug that's in the right temp range for the nitro content in the fuel.