Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

INSTANT CURE TO WINTER BLUES! ONLY $235!!

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

INSTANT CURE TO WINTER BLUES! ONLY $235!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 04:51 AM
Japanman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default INSTANT CURE TO WINTER BLUES! ONLY $235!!

Go Fire up a cyclon.
If you have not experienced the scream of one of these devils, you haven't lived yet.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn35902.jpeg
Views:	31
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	1711262  
Old 01-08-2012, 05:12 AM
Rendegade

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: INSTANT CURE TO WINTER BLUES! ONLY $235!!

Winter Blues? It's january? Oh I forget, you guys live on the wrong side ofthe planet! I spent most of today getting horribly sunburnt, flicking the hell out of an .020 and giggling like a school girl.

I s'pose that a cyclon would be kinda fun tho.
Old 01-08-2012, 07:06 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

WOW..!

When you see the size of that fan next to the engine...it makes the engine look pretty small.
That's a pretty intimidating photo...!
Old 01-08-2012, 09:41 AM
Toad

wow! now I have an idea on what I can use mine for! thnx !
Old 01-08-2012, 09:57 AM
Mr Cox

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Would be nice to see a video of that running. What kind of thrust do you get?
What's the extension for, a fuel tank?
Old 01-08-2012, 03:52 PM
Japanman

When you see the size of that fan next to the engine...it makes the engine look pretty small.
It is just the angle of the photo. This fan diameter is a bit smaller than the one I was using in the past, but the whole unit is very rugged by comparison- I cant recommend it until I put it in a plane and fly it about for a while, but it may be the unit of choice for 1/2a.
It does look mean tho, don't it?

Would be nice to see a video of that running. What kind of thrust do you get?
What's the extension for, a fuel tank?
I didn't run it wot for long enough to measure the thrust other than by hand, but it felt like it would fly a plane... quickly.
The extension serves two purposes; so I can mount it in a fan without cutting the fan unit, and also to get the engine behind the stators so it does not create a dam like effect.

With the VA running the fan, I tried putting my finger close to the back of the stators and you could hear the fan start to make noise and the engine load up- so I think its worth the effort.
Old 01-08-2012, 07:05 PM
forsakenrider

Whats the fan diameter? I would love to build a 1/2a DF! that is way cool.
Old 01-08-2012, 09:29 PM
Japanman

the fan is 70mm. Give it a go- DF flys different to prop planes- in a good way!
Old 01-08-2012, 09:39 PM
combatpigg

I'd have to shave off those mounting lugs on the fan unit and trim down that big rounded lip on the fan shroud. The unit itself is big enough already without making it any wider.
The thing I wonder about is if the airframe flexes, is there a chance of putting the engine in a bind...?
Old 01-23-2012, 06:54 PM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

How many rpm do you get with that set up with the Cyclone? I have several of that size fan, and the electrics get them easily over 40,000. That just looks like too much load to me for an IC engine of that size. Maybe a .15? I would like to see and hear that thing spin!
Old 01-23-2012, 10:40 PM
DeviousDave

In case anyone is interested, there are a bunch of Cyclon's listed on Feebay right now, $179.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:33 AM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

CP you need that lip on it unless you will run full inlet ducting to the fan.

DF are very sesnitive to air flow. if you do not have ducting then you need the round lip.

For a 1/2A Df you will need max efficiency or wasting time. On the electric df you can just add another cell to the battery and make up for your losses.

I have a 70mm DF in electric that spins around 54,000 and requires around 1950-2000 watts to do it. It also make around 4.2 lbs of thrust.

To spin the fan at 30,000 requires around 800 watts

Japan I think you have the best engine for a 1/2A glow DF. You have a great engine mount set up so that you can swap between fans easily. i do think there are better fans out than the one you have there. Look on the other site for great info on 65-73 mm fans.
Old 01-24-2012, 01:36 PM
airraptor

I have been wanting to get one of these engines where is the best place to get one?

Never mind i saw Daves post.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:52 PM
DeviousDave

I remember the first time I fired up a Cyclon back in 1997 or so.. It was quite an experience.

Prior to running the Cyclon, the hottest 1/2A I had ever run was a VA MK. 1. I had mostly been running them with the stock timing as they were early (pre 2000 serial numbers were ported for smaller Russian toothpick props) was already wild and thought that 24,000 out of a 1/2A was good. Then I got a friend and I a Cyclon Top3 via a a group buy organized via a free-frighter. I didn't have a project lined up for it, but he had to run his right away. We mounted the engine to a block of wood with 2-56 screws and put it in a vice. We bubba'd up a bladder and grabbed an APC 5.5-2, the lit the fuse..... Holy Hell.

It started out at a fast 2-4 break turning 25k, then slowly climbed thru a few adjustments of the needle. Then the ground started to tremble, the sun disappeared under a darkening sky, and women grabbed their children and ran. Then it woke up pissed off like Satan's spawn being delivered. The tach buried itself at 32k and we just kind of marveled, afraid to touch the needle anymore. Thankfully it gulped down the bladder quickly-it broke three of the four bolts it was mounted with.

Sheer evil in a 1cc package.
Old 01-29-2012, 10:25 PM
Jaspur_x

ORIGINAL: DeviousDave

I remember the first time I fired up a Cyclon back in 1997 or so.. It was quite an experience.

Prior to running the Cyclon, the hottest 1/2A I had ever run was a VA MK. 1. I had mostly been running them with the stock timing as they were early (pre 2000 serial numbers were ported for smaller Russian toothpick props) was already wild and thought that 24,000 out of a 1/2A was good. Then I got a friend and I a Cyclon Top3 via a a group buy organized via a free-frighter. I didn't have a project lined up for it, but he had to run his right away. We mounted the engine to a block of wood with 2-56 screws and put it in a vice. We bubba'd up a bladder and grabbed an APC 5.5-2, the lit the fuse..... Holy Hell.

It started out at a fast 2-4 break turning 25k, then slowly climbed thru a few adjustments of the needle. Then the ground started to tremble, the sun disappeared under a darkening sky, and women grabbed their children and ran. Then it woke up pissed off like Satan's spawn being delivered. The tach buried itself at 32k and we just kind of marveled, afraid to touch the needle anymore. Thankfully it gulped down the bladder quickly-it broke three of the four bolts it was mounted with.

Sheer evil in a 1cc package.
C`mon now guys,STOPPITT!!!! Now you have me looking for a Cyclon!!!

You see,I have this Harbor Freight p51-D mustang that just does not want to fly with the lecky combo they put in it.........begging for a screamer like this on its nose!!!
Old 01-30-2012, 07:31 AM
Japanman

Sorry Jaspur, but this is well put.

Then the ground started to tremble, the sun disappeared under a darkening sky, and women grabbed their children and ran. Then it woke up pissed off like Satan's spawn being delivered. The tach buried itself at 32k and we just kind of marveled, afraid to touch the needle anymore. Thankfully it gulped down the bladder quickly-it broke three of the four bolts it was mounted with.

Sheer evil in a 1cc package
Likewise I can remember firing mine up the first time.
When you are 20ft away from an engine and it still hurts your ears, you have found the mother load of loud.

S
Old 01-30-2012, 02:03 PM
airraptor

Japanman can you post a pic of how you added the extension to the shaft to mount the fan?
Old 01-30-2012, 11:24 PM
Jaspur_x

OK,that tears it,now I`m on the hunt for one too!!!!
None to be found on ebay though.
Not that I need more speed than my ace littlest stick with the teedee051r/c on the nose......but,yes I do want it lol
Old 02-01-2012, 12:00 AM
DeviousDave

I just checked those auctions I mentioned, they all ran their course-I'd recommend just dealing direct with Alexander in Russia, but you may find them cheaper on Feebay if you watch the auctions for a while.

Just a thought,.... a Profi .061 is pretty close to being equal to a Cyclon and they run $140-160. Might be lighter too, and definitely smaller. Finish isn't as nice as a Cyclon but the engines are 'right' where it counts and they make really good power.
Old 02-05-2012, 08:50 PM
Jaspur_x

Thanks DD,none of those profi engines on ebay either , that figures
Old 02-05-2012, 10:12 PM
combatpigg

Doug Galbreath was selling Cyclons for less than Aleksandr last time I was deciding who to buy from..
The problem is, I don't think he sits on any inventory unless you catch him at a lucky time. He makes "group buys" so to speak, so your wait for delivery could take a few months.
Old 02-06-2012, 10:31 AM
DeviousDave

ORIGINAL: Jaspur_x

Thanks DD,none of those profi engines on ebay either , that figures

Google is your friend:

http://technohobby.com.ua/online-shop/en/engines/profi
http://www.flycontrolline.com/Profi%20049%20.8cc.htm

The same search pulled up forsakenrider's Profi video where he runs no nitro: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOWO1ypPeDg
Old 02-06-2012, 10:39 AM
vasek
My Feedback: (4)

That thing is screaming! a nice little jet to build around it ... nice project!
Old 02-07-2012, 04:32 AM
Japanman

can you post a pic of how you added the extension to the shaft to mount the fan?
Sorry, thats top secret. Err, naw, actually its late at night and cold plus the engine is in the workshop.
I machined a stub- it has a taper which matches the taper collet on the cyclon shaft on one end, and is locked on by screwing in the shaft extension from the prop end- the shaft is hollow and threaded. The shaft also screws right inside the stub to get it close to central, and is locked by grubscrews.

I am not sure I am happy with the system, but it seems pretty true and has not spun off yet.

J.M
Old 02-07-2012, 05:33 AM
Max_Power

JaspurX , HobbyClub has the Fora.061 and Profi.049 in stock for good prices. My wife got me a Fora for x-mas (2012 models in stock) and it looked like it only took about 5 days to the mailbox with the standard 9.99 shipping(even at xmas time). Todd

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.