Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: INSTANT CURE TO WINTER BLUES! ONLY $235!!

Sweet, over 31-34k rpm is a nice set of numbers,I may have to look into one of those;there is a jet project I have in mind that will require such numbers ,thanks guys.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Japanman

Sorry Jaspur, but this is well put.

Then the ground started to tremble, the sun disappeared under a darkening sky, and women grabbed their children and ran. Then it woke up pissed off like Satan's spawn being delivered. The tach buried itself at 32k and we just kind of marveled, afraid to touch the needle anymore. Thankfully it gulped down the bladder quickly-it broke three of the four bolts it was mounted with.

Sheer evil in a 1cc package
    Likewise I can remember firing mine up the first time.
    When you are 20ft away from an engine and it still hurts your ears, you have found the mother load of loud.

S
    Take care guys. I'd been running small engines with no mufflers for 40 plus years. Today, the sharp clatter of metal garbage cans hurts my ears. I wear ear plugs when I go to the movies.
    Andy Woitowicz
    On YouTube as hopeso
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=af4dQNa60_w

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'm guessing that the Profi and Cyclon weigh more than a Norvel .074. I'm also speculating that the .074 will scream on an APC 5.5 X 2. The question is, what the nitro and oil content of the fuel should be.

Yes, it'll be open exhaust and I'll be wearing ear plugs AND "ear muffs"

There's room to install an .09 piston and cylinder. My first try was a bust but I think I know what was wrong.

So if it's not cubes as the benchmark, but power to weight, who would win?

Never mind power to $.

But I must say, quality of construction in the Profi and Cyclon would be a real treat to see. I'd probably never run it,,, unless I had two or three. Too bad the Picco had a fragile crank. Can't recall if I tried a 5.5 X 2 on it.
    Andy Woitowicz
    On YouTube as hopeso

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Mmmmm - I too need ear plugs at movies. Decades of industrial machines and model engines? Take care guys!
    I've lost some high-frequency hearing, but can still enjoy diesels and my '60's Triumph 650 twin on methanol and megaphones.
    Peter

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: vertical grimmace

How many rpm do you get with that set up with the Cyclone? I have several of that size fan, and the electrics get them easily over 40,000. That just looks like too much load to me for an IC engine of that size. Maybe a .15? I would like to see and hear that thing spin!
    Absolutely agreed!
    I have $12 !! hobby king motors that hit 40,000 rpms on a wemotec 70mm fan, which incidentally, is of 'higher' spec than the one that pore lil Cyclon is lumbered with.
    You are running it for the Sound of a wee 2 stroke burning itself out. Not for the performance derived.
    Horses for Courses Kids.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hmmm. I'm thinking of getting one just to run on the bench. Is there an R/C carb available?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: danilo-2

ORIGINAL: vertical grimmace

How many rpm do you get with that set up with the Cyclone? I have several of that size fan, and the electrics get them easily over 40,000. That just looks like too much load to me for an IC engine of that size. Maybe a .15? I would like to see and hear that thing spin!
    Β*
    Absolutely agreed!
    I have $12 !!Β* hobby king motors that hit 40,000 rpms on a wemotec 70mm fan,Β* which incidentally, is of 'higher' spec than the one that pore lil Cyclon is lumbered with.
    You are running it for the Sound of a wee 2 stroke burning itself out. Not for the performance derived.
    Β*Horses for CoursesΒ*Β* Kids.

Of COURSE it's for the sound. And a Cyclon won't burn out, it's a Cyclon. For the last few years, my time in the shop has been restricted so I dabbled in electrics. Got a nice F16. Absolutely gorgeous and yes, they got it all together, just right. The thrust is spectacular, a gentle underhanded toss and that thing just explodes. Makes Kyosho's T38 look like a Piper Cub firing on two cylinders.

But the sound, it's,,, not,,,, there,,,, at just a short distance away. Something is very missing.

Worse is the small Spit I got. VERY well made, BIG diameter outrunner driving a SCALE sized, three blader. Amazing. They got it just right too. Flies very scale like, a lot of fun for the first two minutes till you feel the power sag. WORSE is the lack of engine sound. I was at Oshkosh one year and the Spit and Mustangs were doing high speed passes over the runway. The roar was exhilarating with every piston resonating in your chest.

I got very bored with the Spit after only a few sessions. It'll be getting a Norvel .074 on diesel.

I also have a B17 from HobbyKing. I've seen the really big ones fly on electric. God, what a contradiction. Big, lumbering beast, totally silent at even a short distance. High passes over the runway? WHIIIIIIIR. Yuk.

Mine will be getting four Brodak MK2s with normal and reverse, Cox cranks installed.

I have a few of these Lekkies from HK, all with the intent of installing ENGINES that add that dimension that all airplanes have.

YES, it's the sound and the magic of reciprocating parts making a prop, (or impeller) go round and round.

And it's also an issue of invention and innovation. Buy and fly is fine if that turns your crank. Wait, no cranks in sight. Never mind.

Andy Woitowicz
    On YouTube as hopeso

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Japan
    Very nice setup for the egine, if the engine is as good as all the desciptions you have a cool glow df

The most eficient 70 mm fan out there is the wemotec fan and is made for the originals brushed 400 electric motors which to today standards are weak motors. Today as mentioned early this fan is run with 1000-2000 watts at your own risk. The good part is that this fan runs very well at 300-650 watts which was the power of electric motors in 2005.

You can still get airframes for this low watts setups. Check hetrc.com. The planes f-20 and f-18 were probaly the first arf in the edf market.

If 70mm fan loads to much the motor you can get the 60mm fan wich wemotec also has as a modiefied rotor of the 70 mm fan. The mounting dimensions are the same 28-29 mm diamater. This was made to fit all the epp toy jets out there.

Hope you fly thisngloe df setup.

Cheers

Juan

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Juan,
    Thanks for the input on the fans.
    I have not tried a smaller fan, but I suspect that the there is a point where the relative drag of the cylinder head in the fan tube starts to off set any advantages.

Seeing as the thrust is coming from the volume of air chucked out the back per second, if you decrease the diameter of the fan the speed of the air going through it must speed up to maintain the same volume/ set level of thrust.
    And as the speed goes up, the drag from the cylinder head goes up, and also its percentage of the duct area goes up. And these things matter, because the drag goes up dramatically (to the square of the speed I think) this must make a definite sweet spot somewhere for each engine.

The other thing is that the pitch of may ducted fans is very steep- which is why this fairly low pitched, cheapy hobbyking one seems so promising.

Stefan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12