Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

What are used Norvels worth?

Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

What are used Norvels worth?

Old 02-05-2012, 07:51 AM
Duane-RCU
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What are used Norvels worth?

Thinking about getting rid of them, .061 w/throttle, .061 no throttle. I bought them with a "chrome" Simple P51, and I really have a hard time seeing it in the air. I need brighter colors, or bigger planes!
Old 02-05-2012, 09:55 AM
DeviousDave

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: What are used Norvels worth?

Depends a lot on condition. New ones are worth a solid $45 (Big Mig .049 CL) to $60 (AME .061 R/C) and it drops off fast. A clean used one will run about $30. Non-R/C motors will bring a little less.
Old 02-05-2012, 12:34 PM
mikegordon10

I guess I never tried to sell one, but I've got a 3 lb coffee can full of em.
Old 02-06-2012, 10:31 AM
Silvaire
My Feedback: (50)

Used engine are always a risk, but to a considerably greater degree with Norvels.

Proper break-in is critical with them. It is very easy to damage them or shorten their life if it is not done properly.

Since new ones are currently available for a very reasonable price I wouldn't risk buying used unless:
(A) I had a need for the exterior Norvel parts, or (B) the price was dirt cheap.
Old 02-06-2012, 02:59 PM
Duane-RCU
My Feedback: (5)

I guess if they aren't really worth $25.00 each, I might as well keep them....for something....Maybe control line? I can still see 30 feet away!
Old 02-06-2012, 08:53 PM
coriolan

ORIGINAL: Duane-RCU

I guess if they aren't really worth $25.00 each, I might as well keep them....for something....Maybe control line? I can still see 30 feet away!
30 feets would be ok for good old Cox reedy .049, even a tired Norvel would be very zippy on such short lines
Old 02-06-2012, 09:23 PM
DeviousDave

Depends on condition-you would likely get $35 easily if they were clean. Some people don't bother to spend a few minutes and clean up an engine before they take pics and post the ad-a few ounces of alcohol can make all the difference. A clean engine is one that was taken care of when it was run. I've never heard that Norvels were easy to damage during break-in save for the odd bent rod due to the piston/jug fit.
Old 02-07-2012, 12:20 PM
Silvaire
My Feedback: (50)

ORIGINAL: DeviousDave

I've never heard that Norvels were easy to damage during break-in save for the odd bent rod due to the piston/jug fit.
Yeah, other than beginning by hand flipping them a few hundred times with the right oil first, and using a heat gun to warm the cylinder before the first start, breaking them in is a piece of cake.

I'm a bit of a sucker for a bargain, and I have a few "bargain" used Norvels I've bought that I'd be happy to sell you.[:@]
Old 02-07-2012, 01:01 PM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Put some bright coloured trim on the wings and fuse or something so you can use them. It doesn't need to look scale.  I would otherwise say a used motor in good running condition is worth about half the price of a new one, just like pretty much anything else, garage sale stuff, furniture, ....Control line stuff is always fun too.
Old 02-07-2012, 11:02 PM
DeviousDave

ORIGINAL: Silvaire

I've never heard that Norvels were easy to damage during break-in save for the odd bent rod due to the piston/jug fit.
Yeah, other than beginning by hand flipping them a few hundred times with the right oil first, and using a heat gun to warm the cylinder before the first start, breaking them in is a piece of cake.

I'm a bit of a sucker for a bargain, and I have a few ''bargain'' used Norvels I've bought that I'd be happy to sell you.[:@]
I'd take them off your hands, but I have well over 30 of the .049's and .061's alone....
Old 02-08-2012, 04:55 PM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: coriolan

30 feets would be ok for good old Cox reedy .049, even a tired Norvel would be very zippy on such short lines
Considering that 35' lines were the rule for 1/2 a combat, 30' is not too far out of line. With the hot Cyclone now, the length has been increased to 42'.
Old 02-18-2012, 02:02 PM
danilo-2
My Feedback: (1)

Depends a lot on condition. New ones are worth a solid $45 (Big Mig .049 CL) to $60 (AME .061 R/C) and it drops off fast. A clean used one will run about $30. Non-R/C motors will bring a little less.
Paid $30 for 2 nib 061's in Dec.. rc and big mig... one sourced here at rcu's 'for sale' section even. Some think these are worth large... many don't ;-)