Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Flex Point Hinges & 1/2A Planes

Are these hinges intended to be used on 1/2A planes? The ones I am referring to are Klett Plastics, Polypropylene Flex Point Hinges, RK-4, Small as shown in the attached sketch. Are they superior to CA hinges of similar size? By the looks of the instructions, installing them is essentially the same as CA hinges. The only difference that I see concerning installation is the use of epoxy as the adhesive instead of CA glue.

Iā€™m trying to decide whether to use CA hinges or Flex Point hinges. I have both types on hand. Which hinges are the best?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Flex Point Hinges & 1/2A Planes

I don't see how they can be as good as the fuzzy sheet plastic hinges.
    I suppose the Klett hinges work OK, but it's been so long since I used them I can't remember why I don't use them......besides just an instinctive aversion to things that look like they could fail.
    WHO GUNNA FEED MAW KEEEIDS..???

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I've used them, but I wasn't overly enamoured with them, as you not only have to drill a hole for the fin, you still have to carve a slot too, and sometimes they're noton the same axis, which can be a real headache.

IMO CA hinges are better as it's a simple knife slot andthe hinges are thin so you won't distort thin tail surfaces. Also they're easy to pin if you're really worried about them jumping off your plane.
    Go knife edge your cub!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

http://www.iroquois.free-online.co.uk/knot.htm

Take a look here. Scroll down to close sewn hinges. This is what I use, made of dental floss. One surface needs to be notched in the thickness of the floss so the surfaces will be close together at the hinge line. These hinges are very flexible, and I have never had one fail, even on 40 size CL airplanes.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I remember trying to use those in my early years! I may have better luck now, but back then I made a mess everytime I used them. CA hinges for me.