Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Rookie COG Question

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Rookie COG Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 07:40 PM
D.J.
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Rookie COG Question

I often see plans with the COG symbol off in the middle of nowhere, either an inch or so above the wing or as in this case ,in the middle of the window . Is this because of poor planning on the drafting table in not leaving room in the desired location orareyousupposed to set up an apparatus for measuring the GOG in the middle of nowhere?.... D.J.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47416.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	1761114  
Old 05-09-2012, 07:54 PM
soarrich
My Feedback: (98)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Rookie COG Question

I think you'll find they put it there for clarity. It's really the BP, balance point, just go up to the bottom of the wing and that's where it should balance.

On real planes, at least on fighters, they used to hang them in the air to really find the CG.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:12 PM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: soarrich

I think you'll find they put it there for clarity. It's really the BP, balance point, just go up to the bottom of the wing and that's where it should balance.
Agreed.

On the plane in question, setting the COG symbol inside the rib may have masked portions of the upper or lower spar. On many plans, the side view of the fuselage with rib may be the only rib pattern in the plan set.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:22 PM
combatpigg

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I've never paid much attention to it, but some drawings might put the marker where the fore-aft and vertical Cgs intersect.
Old 05-10-2012, 02:32 AM
Trisquire

Yeah, the drafter just found a convenient open spot that wouldn't obstruct anything. I would have put it in the window too.
Old 05-10-2012, 12:13 PM
tangerine-jack

It gets really fun when you are building a canard airplane, the CG is not necesarily where the plane balances, nor is the "neutral point" the actual CG. For those planes you use a kind of "center of flight" value somewhere between the CG and NP. Ask my how I know. I built a canard 1911 Voisin biplane pusher (not 1/2A so don't even go there!- hey, I was young, in college and needed the money) and had all kinds of hurt when it came to the test flights. Not only was it a challenge to get the plane ballanced, but the Voisin used not only stabilator, but the rudder was also up front which caused a lot of super sensitive controls and personal stress on the first few flights unitl I got the aileron/rudder mixed together in turns and mangaged to tame the beast. Once the final balance point was determined, and the control throws worked out with rudder mixing to help turn the whale, it was a fine airplane and looked really good in the air. Forget aerobatics, this was a 1911 design and it was just good enough to stay flying then and that was all you could reasonable expect from the model now.

The moral of the story is don't build a canard pusher, certainly not an early vintage flight design, unless you really, really hate yourself...a lot....
Old 05-10-2012, 12:58 PM
D.J.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Since it's hard to ballance a Canard it must be nearly impossible to balance a Mallard .
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf97633.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	1761299  
Old 05-10-2012, 01:04 PM
skaliwag
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good one...
Old 05-10-2012, 01:37 PM
tangerine-jack

ORIGINAL: D.J.

Since it's hard to ballance a Canard it must be nearly impossible to balance a Mallard . [img][/img]

Oooh! Me like!!!
Old 05-11-2012, 03:04 AM
Trisquire

Since it's hard to ballance a Canard it must be nearly impossible to balance a Mallard . [img][/img]
Thanks. I wasn't expecting an interesting indoor rubber powered design in this forum.
Old 05-12-2012, 08:05 PM
combatpigg

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

What makes a duck or a goose a canard....?
I've never seen one with tail feathers in front of their wings.
Old 05-12-2012, 08:27 PM
soarrich
My Feedback: (98)

ORIGINAL: combatpigg

What makes a duck or a goose a canard....?
I've never seen one with tail feathers in front of their wings.
I think it's French for duck.
Old 05-13-2012, 03:02 AM
tangerine-jack

Yes, it is French for "duck". And Voisin was a French engineer, if you look at the 1911 you can see the general layout of a duck with the wings near the back and a long neck out front. I'm sure somewhere down the line of aviation history alcohol was involved in naming certain designs....
Old 05-13-2012, 04:08 AM
Crosscheck

I'm with soarrich,

Canard is french for 'duck'.

Not for the bird.

But, what you have to be prepared to do, when test flying one ! ! !

Take care,
Have fun,
Dave'crosscheck'Fallowfield
Maac 6437
Unabashed Combat Team
Old 05-13-2012, 04:17 AM
Yuu

Thirty years ago there was a movie with a prehistoric 'pterodactyl' with about a ten foot wing span. As I remember, it was a 'glider' ....which flew in the movie by flapping its wings... but the direction was controlled by turning its head 25 degrees left or right. AND there was a design published in one of the Model mags for the bird.... err, "flying reptile'... from the Lower Jurassic nearly to the close of the Mesozoic; with a 'leather-like' and featherless skin membrane which covered the wing and extended to the body, much like today's bats. Perhaps someone remembers that mag and the design. The C G for the pterodactyl had to be just as difficult to locate as the C G for the goose drawing above.
Old 05-13-2012, 08:15 AM
tangerine-jack

Yes to all of the above

My singular venture in to front control/ rear engine airplanes taught me that everything else is easy. Finding the sweet spot between the balance point and neutral point require some engineering voodoo that can only be sorted out in actual test flight. Because control can be random at first, do not try this if your are not in good health, free from heart, neck and back problems, motion sickness or other conditions that could be aggravated by this adventure. Expectant mothers should not try this at all.