Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Scalpel Flight Video

Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Scalpel Flight Video

Old 06-06-2012, 04:44 PM
Tee Bee

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Scalpel Flight Video

Here's a flight of the Scalpel at SMALL 2012. The rear rotary induction engine refuses to hand start. It must spin pretty fast to fire up, so I've been resorting to using my Hornet starter on it to get it going with crossed fingers each time. As luck would have it, I bent the conrod with the starter attempting to crank it on Friday morning. I replaced the lightened SPI piston that came with the engine with a stock Surestart unit I had in my spares box. This got the engine running but at much lower rpms than before. The SMALL flights were considerably slower than previous ones at home. The airplane still flew well and I enjoy it's manners. This plane would be a good candidate for a any TD or speedie reedie .049.

This is one of skaliwag's projects that he was kind enough to let me tinker with. There is a full build thread on it a few months back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1Z8Evb5TsM&feature=plcp
Old 06-06-2012, 09:16 PM
exocet-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Scalpel Flight Video

Looks like a great flying plane, Tee Bee.
Old 06-06-2012, 09:48 PM
Tee Bee

Yep! Tracks real nicely. It simply goes where it's pointed.
Old 07-02-2012, 06:15 PM
danilo-2

Interesting model.
 But frankly the constant use of telephoto   and zoom. Really messes up my ability to deduce/perceive the true speed of the thing.
 Based on the video alone she seems a bit sloow. Hopefully that's just the videoing problem?
Old 07-02-2012, 08:05 PM
skaliwag

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's meant to fly slow not like a F-15 ... Even the Sure start has twice the power it should have. Originally designed for a PAW 55.
Old 07-02-2012, 08:42 PM
hfenn

I have a PAW .033 doing nothing. Send me a kit to beta test. I'll give you a brew when I see you.
Old 07-02-2012, 08:56 PM
skaliwag

Mr Staples has a Masterpiece with a PAW55 on the front.

Mr Fenn .. Please send your order/request through the Select Hobbies web site. Mention this RCU Post. BTW.. I like Fosters in the Green Oil Can
Old 07-03-2012, 04:25 AM
Tee Bee

Danilo-2, as mentioned in the 1st post, the speed was hampered by having to substitute a standard Surestart piston in an engine designed for a lighter one. The plane flies much faster when the engine is spinning properly. This flight was recorded at a fly-in far from home so the substitution was made in order to get the engine running. I posted another vid a while back of one of the 1st test flights with the hotter setup and it was considerably faster there. A TD .049 would make it zippy enough for sport flying.
Old 07-03-2012, 02:20 PM
fit90

Looked pretty fast to me. I hope you can get the piston lightened again. It also looked like the engine was really starting to loosen up. All in all, it looks like a great flying plane. I will probably get one when I see them up on the select hobbies website. If I do I will be sure to include a note saying I saw it here but I am sure this post will suffice as that note.
Old 07-04-2012, 08:13 AM
skaliwag

Boy do I have some egg on the face.. I thought we were talking about the Scoundrel which is for a PAW55. The Scalpel is for a much more powerful piece of machinery.
Old 07-04-2012, 11:59 AM
Tee Bee

All those S-planes. Gets so confusing at times! Yes, the Scalpel, like the Skydrill, flies best "on the step" and the Scoundrel looks better puttering around.

The Scalpel is a great match for a TD .049.