Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

JR Hobbies kits

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 10:49 PM
rcjake

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JR Hobbies kits

Many years ago, a friend and I had a company in Illinois called JR Hobbies (for Jerry & Roger Hobbies) Among other 40 to 60 size sport and scale planes, I designed a few 1/2a kits that we produced and marketed. One of them was a scaled down version of my .40 size airplane called the Whoot. The 1/2a version I named the Half A Whoot (1/2a Whoot) Another was a scaled down version of the 40 size Fokker D-8 that I named the B-4. (1/2a D-8) These kits were of balsa/ply construction and used the Ace foam wings. Very durable and fun to fly with a .049-.051! We even ran the Cox .051 RC with muffler on one of the Half A Whoots. The Muffler didn't work well (it was leaky and loud) but the rc carb worked...kinda...

I still have some Ace foam wings and have been thinking that I may need to build a few of our old kits and electrify them. Nostalgia, you know...

We had a lot of fun with the business and even had a booth on the main floor at the Toledo Expo for 4 years.

Does anyone remember JR Hobbies?

Jerry
(AKA Jake)

Old 07-02-2012, 03:33 PM
Max_Power

Default RE: JR Hobbies kits

Hey, Do you have any pictures or info for those of us that don't remember or didn't see em? I googled it but all I see are this thread and a similar one on RCG.....And a forum full of people modding e-cigarettes [X(] which is kinda scarylol. I'd like to see some pictures of the models. Todd
Old 07-03-2012, 02:24 PM
TampaRC

Ace wings are still in production...maybe you should put some kits together for us 1/2a people to purchase
Old 07-03-2012, 05:29 PM
rcjake

I will look around and find some photos of our old 1.2a planes to post here, Todd. Just give me a few days...

Who is selling the Ace wings, TampaRC?

Jake