Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Norvel muffler mods?

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Norvel muffler mods?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2003, 03:14 PM
Dukester
My Feedback: (31)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Norvel muffler mods?

This is primarily for 049 or 061 Norvels. Over the course of the past months I have seen a number of people mention mods to the Norvels to change the stock muffler mount from the spring clip to other methods. Actual details have been lacking. So I wanted to start this thread in the hopes we could get some details posted about mods to improve the muffler mounting.

I have personally tried to make a silicone gasket and found that significantly cut down on the leakage, but everytime I take the damn thing off to clean up around the motor its a pain in the ***** to get back on right

So maybe some detailed info, pics, are you willing to make/modify/advise others?

Thanks,
Duke
Old 09-05-2003, 06:34 PM
Dukester

Default Norvel muffler mods?

Ok, we spend 50% of our time on here discussing norvel (and the other 65% is on Cox ). I can't believe no one has any helpful info on this?
Old 09-08-2003, 01:01 PM
ZB50

Default RE: Norvel muffler mods?

OK I'll bite,

I think AJ up in Canada is using a .074 muffler with a strap. I have also seen photos of pipe headers and pipes.

ZB
Old 09-08-2003, 02:26 PM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Dukester:

I just make sure there is a flat on the matching face of the muffler, and put a small bead of RTV around the lip on the engine block. Then If I take it off again, a new bead of RTV.

Bill.
Old 09-08-2003, 02:36 PM
Dukester

ZB,

If I remember right (I don't have an 074, but I think the new ones come with a bolt on muffler right out of the box.

Bill,

Yes, I'm actually using RTV also, but I was hoping to dredge up some of the guys who have mentioned in their posts that they have have physically made headers, muffler brackets, etc for hard mounting the muffler. I have a few ideas, but no access to the equipment necessary to do the tight tolerance drilling and machining.

Thanks,
Duke
Old 09-08-2003, 04:43 PM
Msaint
My Feedback: (5)

I am working on machining a Bolt on header for mine. If it works like Im thinking its going to I will also machine up some bolt on mufflers. Ill keep yas posted.
I dont like the stock mufflers either as im always blowing the back part of the muffler out and then the whole thing falls off
Old 09-08-2003, 04:46 PM
Msaint
My Feedback: (5)

Oh by the way my design requires no modification of the engine. It'll be a bolt on kit.
Ill post pictures within the next few weeks depending on how much time I can get on some of the machining centers at work
Old 09-08-2003, 08:45 PM
Dukester

Msaint,

Thanks and keep us posted.

Duke
Old 09-12-2003, 10:06 PM
AndyW
My Feedback: (1)

I've been away from the computer for a week. Attended Canada's premier scale fun fly in Kitchener Ontario. Hosted by the Kitchener/Waterloo Flying Dutchmen, it was a blast. As usual, the KW guys did a great job. If you live withing 500 miles, do plan to attend next year. You won't be sorry. Flew my StevensAero Cap 232 and my scale model of the .40 sized Tsunami. Scaled down to .074 size, of course. There were a few small planes notably an electric Wright flyer and a Spit along with the combat guys.

What's any of this have to do with bolt on mufflers? Well, I brought along with me nearly two dozen engine projects of various sorts, none over .09 size. A great many questions were asked, including the bolt on muffler arrangement that I always use on Norvels. I'm afraid that I don't have a digicam but the engine that I sent to our new Norvel convert, Dickeybird, has arrived safe and sound in his hands. He has promised to post a few pics of the engine and hopefully they will illustrate how I do it.

Yes, I do use the Norvel .074 muffler. I like it a lot, even the rotatable rear cone. Mine never fall off, you just have to tighten the screw enough to snug it up securely. The .074 muffler, installed on to an .06 will allow it to breath a little more, run a bit cooler and perhaps add a few hundred RPM.

The crankcase, where the cylinder base sits, where the four screws hold the cylinder down, this is milled flat on four sides. A header is made that has a square hole to match. This is simply JB welded to the crankcase. So far, it works perfectly as I've never had a failure. The exhaust port is milled ahead of time along with the screw holes for the muffler and the spacing works out perfectly. The muffler needs to be milled flat, where the gasket sits. I also relocate the pressure nipple to a neater location. All should be clear when Milton posts some pics of the engine.
Old 09-13-2003, 08:15 PM
Wyld Weasel

Dukester:

Take a look at matchlessaero's posts on the need for speed.He indicates that he's in the process of making a tuned header for his norvel.I look at it this way if he (Matchlessaero) can be that talented others should be able to do it as well.

Wyld Weasel