"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Norvel 061

Old 08-08-2012, 09:03 PM
mnrcaerobat
My Feedback: (197)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Norvel 061

What prop and fuel should I run on my norvel 061? Im assuming the 6x3 like the 049? I think we always ran 30% in the 049 also. Do I need that much nitro?
Old 08-08-2012, 10:29 PM
Mr Cox

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Norvel 061

6x3 is a little big, they come alive at +20000rpm.

A cox 5x4 (low blade area), 10% Nitro and 20% all castor is what I use.
Old 08-09-2012, 04:19 AM
eroc144
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

So much of it depends on what you want to do and what your plane wants to do. Large bulky airframe vs sleek, 3D vs racer, etc.

My logs show max thrust on a 6x2 APC, and max speed on a 4.75x4 APC, with lots of interesting choices in between: 5x3, 5.5x2.5, 5x4, 5.7x3, 6x3, etc. 5.7x3 and 6x3 are typical choices.

I use 25% nitro / 20% oil in my Norvels, with the oil @ 25% - 50% castor. I found they idled better and were less sensitive to minute needle valve adjustments with the higher nitro, but if you're always running flat out then that's less of an issue.

If yours is a new Norvel, be aware that many of them exhibit 2 break-in phases. Meaning that you'll do an initial break-in where the engine will start to exhibit good performance over the throttle range, and then, after multiple quarts of fuel, the engine will suddenly become the snarling, nasty screamer you'd hoped for when you bought it.

EG
Old 08-09-2012, 05:13 AM
Andrew

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I run 22.5%N, 21.25%O with a 20/80 syn/cas ratio. You could run a lower oil content in the NORVEL, but I also use this same fuel in COX engines, hence the higher castor level.

30% nitro is not really needed unless you're going for all out speed. By and large, the eastern European engines tend to run well on lower nitro levels and the original NORVEL fuel recommendations stated that 35% N would step the engines up, but with increased wear and lower lifespan.

I think the 6x3 gets used a lot because it's one of the few 1/2A props that the LHS's will stock and most folks are not interested in cutting it down. That being said, I also think it's a little large for best performance and maybe has its place only on a large, draggy airframe. EG's comments on plane type are important when choosing props.

I like the 5x3 Rubber Ducky, the 5x3 COX gray, the MA 6x3 cut back to about 5.25" and the APC 5.7x3 (take care with the APC since it will slice you like a salami).

Old 08-09-2012, 01:01 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have been told that higher nitro improves the idle. I don't know if this is true, it has been years since I messed with an engine that idled.
A good Big Mig .061 turns a 6x3 impressively.
Old 08-09-2012, 09:05 PM
mnrcaerobat
My Feedback: (197)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I found a Cox thimble drone 5.5x4 in a lot of props that I have. I am going to start with that and see where it goes.

Will tank size and position affect my 061? Im thinking I have access to a 1 oz tank. Not sure about a 2. I am going to use small line. The engine will be mounted upright. I have good memories with a sig hummer and the novel 049.
Old 08-10-2012, 04:44 AM
longdan

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I've cut down a 6x3 to 5.5 inches. Its easy to do and males a noticeable difference. Also, IMHO, high nitro is not necessary. I feed mine mine on 15% and it runs just fine.
The talk of 'idle speed' is very subjective. For me, I don't try to tune it so that it idles at a low speed. As long as the throttle can reduce the speed enough so that the plane doesn't develop lift, then that is good enough for me. I use the throttle trim to shut it off from there.