Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Would appreciate advice for give-away plane

Hi all

A couple of weeks ago I was having a chat with a former member of our club, when he suddenly asks me that since he has quit flying, would I want to have a couple of engines he doesn't use anymore? I gracefully accepted and the day before yesterday I got four engines from him. They are a bit gummed up, and miss a few spares, but otherwise they seems to be in good condition. It was an Enya 35, a Veco 61, a OS Max-H 60 and a Webra 91. To my inexperienced eye they represent a substantial value once they are cleaned up and the few missing spares refitted.

The old gentleman wouldn't accept money for them. He just said he had no use for them because he can't fly now that he don't have a car anymore, and that he prefered to give them away instead of throwing them away. I am very happy to get such an unexpected and valuable gift, so I want to give something back. Therefor I'm thinking of building him a plane that's suitable to get him back into this wonderful hobby, but I need your advice to choose a good one to build. So far I have been thinking like this:
    1. A small and slow one, so he can fly it in any nearby football (soccer) field without the need to go to the club for flying. I think 1/2A-size is just about right.
    2. Electric, for the reasons above.
    3. Detachable wing to ease storing.
    4. He rides a scooter, so I think a wing that can be split in two halves would make it possible to stuff it in a backpack and take a ride to the club-field when he wants to meet other flyers.
    5. Rugged enough to survive being stuffed in a backpack.
    6. I know all of his former planes were balsa, so I think this one should be too. Besides, I prefer building in balsa.
    7. I've just got unemployed, so my hobby-budget is a little bit tight at the moment. Scratchbuilding from a free plan is what suits the budget best.
    So, what do say about those specifications?Do you think they would define a suitable plane to offer that gentleman? And if so, can you give example of a suitable plan to build from?

I have not been very active in this forum, but I have read it with great interest for the last couple of years and I have come to respect all of you and value your advices and opinions very much, so I would be very pleased to hear any advice, opinion or suggestion in this matter.
    /Stefan

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Would appreciate advice for give-away plane

Hmmm, an interesting challenge.
    There used to be a time when you could walk to the park with the plane in one hand, transmitter in the other, fuel can in the back pocket and battery with alligator clips in the other. A car wasn't necessary.
    But in this case, it has to fit on a scooter. Is it a mobility scooter or a Vespa?

For durability, I'd recommend a foam wing, but when you say you want to scratch build, I guess you mean a rib and spar balsa wing.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ask him *nicely* about his vision, if he's having problems, a 1/2a model will be hard to see. They can get real small real fast!

If he's got good vision, forget what I said!
    Go knife edge your cub!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Many of the park flyers would fit your requirements. You might also consider a small foamie as there is not much too them. They are light and a profile foamie could be repaired quickly. That does not fit you balsa frame and maybe wing requirement but would get him in the air in the park quickly.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I think something in the line of a scaled down Kadet would be just right. Could be easily flown with glo or electric & everything from single channel to four channel. See thru covering looks vintage & nostalgic. Easy & inexpensive to build & even easier to fly. I'd be happy if someone gave me something along those lines.....Gene

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

What Renegade said. And a "ditto" on wondering if this is a mobility scooter or a two wheeler.

If it turns out that he's gotten out of the hobby due to old age and/or vision issues then I'd suggest that the best thing you can do is bring him along with you occasionally to the field so he can simply enjoy the breeze and watch some flying a few more times. At some point our bodies simply can't be pushed to do the job anymore. But it sure doesn't mean that we can't enjoy watching and listening to others doing what we love. And just being out at a flying field is an enjoyable way to spend a day.
    Witty saying to be plagarized shortly.....

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

If it is a budget, then the blue fanfold foamies are good for leckies, and Coroplast for bigger ones, maybe a bit bigger than 1/2A.  Maybe he likes balsa better, just thinking out loud kind of.
    Glow Head Hood # 7

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I think Bmatthews has a few good points. I've been in a lot of situations like this when the issue the person said was stopping them from enjoying the hobby wasn't really the issue. I think the best way you could repay him IMHO might be to pick him up and drag him along for a day at the field, Or if you have something that would fly at the soccer park maybe plan a trip out to fly your plane and give him a chance to fly it if he wants, or just watch...etc and see what his interest level is. Sometimes building someone a plane can be frustrating for both parties if the recipient isn't really all that interested in flying models anymore. How much did he fly when he was a club member? Was he a fly all day type modeler, or someone who just liked to hang out at the field and go to club meetings,etc?

I know I have set my Dad up with a plane..., and he has local places withing a stone's throw he could fly but he has never flown them unless I had it in the air and almost MADE him take the controls. He was a modeler all of my youth and had RC planes when I was young , But I guess some folks just lose the drive (Although a hobby is DEFINITELY good for older folks health). My input would be to try to include your buddy in some flying/modeling activities first and then go from there based on his interest and at that point it will be easier to tell what model might suit him best?

If you do decide to get him set up with a plane I know that my parkzone ultra micro T-28 is a insane amount of fun and a great, docile, scale looking flyer that comes in its own box that would fit in a scooter basket nicely and one can have a ton of fun flying in a area the size of a half a football field or smaller.

Tell us how that Enya runs I've always wanted one! Todd
    \"A guy told me the other day I must be very smart,......I told him \"No!, I\'\'m REALLY dumb, But learning from my mistakes!!\"\"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Or just give him a case of beer.
    Glow Head Hood # 7

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thank you all for your advice

Maybe I got a little carried away. I will listen to you and invite him to the field for coffee, chat and flying a couple of times before dropping a new plane in his lap. But if he - as I hope - would accept a leckie as a gift, what would be a good one?

Gene6029 recommended a scaled down Kadet. I've been looking at the build threads for the Kadetito (this is a smal Kadet, isn't it?). It's fuse is build up from balsa sticks instead of sheets - does that affect the sturdiness?

I have had the LST-trainer on my want-to-build-list for a long time. What is your opinion of her for this mission? Is she slow enough? Would the wing suffer from being built in two halves and joined like a glider wing?

Any other recommendations or link to nice planes?

Oh, I almost forgot:The scooter he rides is of the Vespa-kind, not the mobility scooter. (I am not familiar with this expression, but I guess it is a slow vehicle with three or four wheels for those with balance or mobility issues. Right?)

/Stefan

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

SBS PILOT, Yes the Kadetito is a scaled down Kadet. It is a VERY sturdy airframe as built with sticks. I have had children as young as 5 yrs old wiggle the sticks on a Kadet for an afternoon of fun & flying. Maybe another approach would be to ask him if he would be "available" to help you build one, and then take it from there. Anyway, hope what ever way you go works out for you....Gene

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Stefan,

Is your club CL or RC? You seem to be getting suggestions for both.

Chances are that your friend would not fly by himself so the suggestion of taking him to the club field is probably a good one.

I would suggest making a plane for yourself powered by one of those engines and offering to let him fly it (stick time or handle time).

Of those engines I can vouch for the Enya .35 (Enyas live forever) and the MAX-H .60. My Enya .35 is a CL version. The MAX-H .60 was available in front intake and rear intake versions. I have the front intake which was dubbed "Golden Pride" for the gold anodized head. Both versions were excellent runners.

George

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Stefan,

I 'echo', previous posts.[8D]

I am currently having a great time with my 80 yr old Dad.

Same guy, who taught me how to 'build light' with balsa/tissue, FF/CL/R/C.[8D]

He got 're-interested' in model airplanes when 'mini lipo- electrics' came along.

He loves building 'stuff', always has. (I've learned allot ![8D])

Not much interested in flying though??? (I thought that, was the carrot before the horse !)

Perhaps, your friend is like my Dad, Stefan?

Ask him if he would like a 'kit' to build...

Nice Engines ! He knows Quality !

Take care,
    Have fun,
    Dave'crosscheck'Fallowfield
    Maac 6437
    Unabashed Combat Team

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Since the "scooter" is one of the two wheel fun types rather than what is basically a powered wheelchair there may be hope. If he's still blitzing the streets on two wheels then clearly his vision and reflexes are at least capable of flying a model.

A small 'lecie that breaks down into a transport box along with room for a Tx and two or three extra battery packs would be the sort of thing that would easily strap onto the back of his scooter for a trip to the local park. Going along with the "ease into it" sort of tone of the other guys if you made up such a setup ostensibly as a "travel airplane and packing box" for yourself and show the get up to him it may spark a re-newed intrest in flying in this different style. If so "lend" the set up to him to try out. If it turns out he likes it simply let him know that it seems like you won't be able to travel with the model and he may as well keep it as a thanks for the engines...... or something of the sort....

If it turns out that he's simply no longer interested for whatever reason you get the model back and you have yourself a nice little easy trasport knock about model for some impromptu flying wherever the mood may strike.
    Witty saying to be plagarized shortly.....