Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: 1/2A Biplanes.*** LIMIT***. .010 to .049? *** MAXX LIMIT .15 ***-

People often talk about things like "ballooning" or "instability" without specifying what the actual problem is. In this case, was it actually longitudinally unstable? Then the CG was too far back. Or, more likely, did it just climb too much under full power? In that case, today we would just use down trim. The better solution would be to trim up the leading edge of the stab. If that was not possible, you could make the wing incidence more negative, but then you lose some of the downthrust that you need. The early designs usually had the stab set quite negative to the wing, which was the usual free flight practice. If you add much power and you can't control the elevator it swoops up.

LOTS of successful biplanes have flat bottom airfoils. Up until the late 1920s or so most even had undercamber. You can build perfectly good models of them using the scale undercamber.

Jim

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Lots of good info, folks, thanks for making me aware of these things. When I build an RC bipe, will have an idea when it comes to making flight adjustments.
    George Hostler
    Clovis MADS AMA Club, Vintage R/C Society (VRCS)
    And we know love by this, that He laid down His life for us, and we ought to lay down our lives for the brethren. 1 John 3:16

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yes i will have to let this imfo sink in i was never a biplane person till now and i have one and getting ready to build a couple more in foam and a balsa one. Thanks for the great imfo .joe

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Our club is hosting a biplane get-together this fall. It will be in the AMA calendar. Small bipes (and triplanes, etc.) will be WELCOME! (Along with all other sizes, and electric too) I'm working on a couple of bipes right now, one will be powered by a PAW .06 diesel. I'm glad if anything I posted was useful.

Jim

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: buzzard bait

Our club is hosting a biplane get-together this fall. It will be in the AMA calendar. Small bipes (and triplanes, etc.) will be WELCOME! (Along with all other sizes, and electric too) I'm working on a couple of bipes right now, one will be powered by a PAW .06 diesel. I'm glad if anything I posted was useful.

Jim
    Ha Ha your a wealth of imfo buzzard bait ,iam close to 60 but still learning good stuff every day. My spring and summers are filled with ama water funflys or i would take you up on that bibe meet offer. I have been flying 95 percent off of water now for 15 years and have made many friends who attend them with me. joe
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Us53166.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	28.1 KB 
ID:	1849642  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey Joe, that is a great looking airplane! I've been wanting to fly off water here but even though lots of lakes, haven't found a place for glow engines. I'll go to a float fly around here next season and give it a try. I'm over 60 myself and still learning too. Grew up in Iowa and still drive out there a few times each year.

Jim

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: buzzard bait

Hey Joe, that is a great looking airplane! I've been wanting to fly off water here but even though lots of lakes, haven't found a place for glow engines. I'll go to a float fly around here next season and give it a try. I'm over 60 myself and still learning too. Grew up in Iowa and still drive out there a few times each year.

Jim
    Ha Ha if you say you farmed like me when you were young we might be long lost brothers. I started driving a john deer A at the ripe old age of 10 . My dad said i could not keep the corn rows straight till then. joe

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345