Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Did you ever want a fantastic, powerful .061 diesel?

Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Did you ever want a fantastic, powerful .061 diesel?

Old 01-16-2013, 11:04 PM
DeviousDave

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Did you ever want a fantastic, powerful .061 diesel?

Well, if you ever did, you better get ahold of one of the few remaining second run MP JET .061 BB/RC's left. MP JET has stopped making them again, which is a real shame. These are very powerful motors and offer more prop size choice than a glow motor of the same size could ever dream of. Build quality is very high and they handle well.

When these motors came out they showed how truly good a small diesel could be once someone who wasn't lost in the 1950's made a small diesel.

This is one of those engines you guys really, really want to experience. At $125 or so they aren't a whole lot more expensive than a night out. Just bite the bullet and do it, you won't regret it. After the last run dried up I was paying upwards of $200 for these and have amassed 5 of them-they are that good.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:23 AM
Mr Cox

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Did you ever want a fantastic, powerful .061 diesel?

I only had two of these from before, so I've done my hoarding and got two more from the latest run...

Don't forget about all the nice accessories that MP Jet makes, there are aluminium propnuts and spinners that are dedicated for these engine too.
Old 01-17-2013, 04:04 AM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Who's got em?
Old 01-17-2013, 12:02 PM
fritzke
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Carlson lists the MP Jet, but no info on the site..

http://carlsonengineimports.net/

I bought my 061 glow R/C from them many years ago.

Dave
Old 01-17-2013, 03:01 PM
Mr Cox

I've bought from a local dealer and also from topmodel.fr, but I think the shipping from them to the US is expensive.

Here is the engine with the dedicated propnut on it;

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81158.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	1841550  
Old 01-17-2013, 05:51 PM
AMB

I CARE RC Quebec Canada has a new batch 125$ US rc carb , c/l carb a few bucks less have one just ordered 2 more today
available from Australia also David owen martin
Old 01-18-2013, 12:02 AM
DeviousDave

ORIGINAL: vicman

Who's got em?
I strongly prefer to buy diesels from David Owen in Australia (he gives excellent service, goes out if his way etc.), he deals with MP JET. I Was able to source any parts I needed thru him even back when these motors were out of production, I did several group buys for guys here in the states, everything from muffler extensions to 30mm CNC'd aluminum spinners to piston/sleeve assemblies.

ICARE R/C in Canada also sells them, I'm much less favorably impressed with their service. Since orders from David take 10 days, there's really no reason not to just go with the better dealer.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:04 AM
DeviousDave

ORIGINAL: Mr Cox

I've bought from a local dealer and also from topmodel.fr, but I think the shipping from them to the US is expensive.

Here is the engine with the dedicated propnut on it;

Topmodel's shipping is OUTRAGEOUS!!!! I once tried to order a 30mm MP JET spinner from them and the shipping was $35!
Old 01-18-2013, 12:29 AM
DeviousDave

http://s29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...Caudron_01.mp4
http://s29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...Picture101.mp4

Would you believe these are both powered by the same engine? The fast airplane is RocketRob's JMGlaskraft Caudron, spinning a 5.5-5.5 in the 20-21k range doing a little over 100mph on doppler. The Taylorcraft was Steve Staples' at SMALL turning an 8-4 prop. He hadn't started the engine in some time so it took a bit to get it runnning.

Most of the time I am starting mine up they respond to a prime and flip just like a glow motor does-the compression for starting is really close to the running compression, I just leave it where it likes to run and treat it like a glow motor. The way one of these motors spins a Cox 6-4 makes a Norvel .074 tuck tail and run!
Old 01-18-2013, 12:43 AM
DeviousDave

Just watched a break-in video on youtube with one of these turning a 7-3 at 15,300 with the compression setting light enough to still be be mis-firing. I don't think an OS10FP will do that, will it?
Old 01-18-2013, 02:12 AM
Mr Cox

An OS 10FP will do about that on a 7x4 prop. The MP Jets are good but there are limits...
Apparently the Norvel .061 on diesel, is comparable to the MP Jet.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:44 AM
DeviousDave

An OS 10FP will do about that on a 7x4 prop. The MP Jets are good but there are limits...
Apparently the Norvel .061 on diesel, is comparable to the MP Jet.
It's been a looooong time since I ran one of my .10FPs, you may be right-13.5k for a 7-4 sticks in my mind. I have a Norvel diesel head on one of my Big Migs, the Mp Jet is significantly faster on a 6-4. My example will only turn a Cox prop at 17,300, which is Norvel .074 territory.

http://s29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...cture004-1.mp4
Old 01-18-2013, 07:46 PM
xanaphyst
My Feedback: (17)

Hi group. I'm getting back into 1/2a and have a question about these diesel engines. Does everyone make there own fuel or perhaps ya'll are purchasing it somewhere. the only place I see to purchase fuel
is the "Diesel Doctor"...

thanks,

Xanaphyst
Old 01-19-2013, 09:09 AM
fritzke

Always made my own for my PAW 055, 1/3 Kero, 1/3 Sig castor and 1/3 John Deere starter fluid.
Bigger engines (and just about all are bigger than the 055) may run better on other ratios.
The smell of ether permeates everything.
Dave
Old 01-19-2013, 07:35 PM
DeviousDave

ORIGINAL: xanaphyst

Hi group. I'm getting back into 1/2a and have a question about these diesel engines. Does everyone make there own fuel or perhaps ya'll are purchasing it somewhere. the only place I see to purchase fuel
is the ''Diesel Doctor''...

thanks,

Xanaphyst
I can't speak for anyone on the forum but I buy my fuel from Eric Clutton/Dr. Diesel. I am fortunate to live 45 minutes away from the Toledo show where he brings fuel and usually pick up 4 cans of fuel every year. That said, a very good friend of mine is probably the most knowlegeable engine guy on the site and specializes in Diesels. He makes his own fuel, experiments with etherless fuels and various elixers to make his engines go. Mixing fuel is very easy, you just mix fuel in thirds by volume, nothing is critical unless you are running tiny diesels and are a little light on the ether. Easy to fix if you botch a batch.

ETA: The most important thing I have found with fuel is to have a way to store it that won't leak your ether out. You have to have a DARN good seal on your fuel container to keep it from going bad, the ether just finds a way out no matter what. Factory sealed containers even smell like ether and they use pip tape to help seal the caps. Again, if the fuel goes south it just takes adding a little ether to make it fresh again... It doesn't harm the engines one bit to have low ether, it just makes them hard to start. The engines don't even need ether to run-you can start an engine on ether fuel and switch to straight kero and oil mix once it's warm. The compression and needle settings will be slightly different, but the engines run great once warm. You can also add 1 or 2% DII (diesel ignition improver) to help things along, a lifetime supply is $15 or so.
Old 01-19-2013, 08:31 PM
xanaphyst
My Feedback: (17)

Sounds easy enough. Thanks for the info. I've emailed both Carlson and Icare to see if I can get my hands on one along with a rebuild kit.
Old 01-21-2013, 01:36 AM
steve111

As regards performance, my 061BB diesel turns an APC 7x3 at 17600, which puts it well into Norvel 074 territory. (The dieselised Norvel 061 does about 17000 with the same prop.) I prefer either my glow or diesel MP Jet 061s to my Norvel 061s.

Where has the info come from that MP Jet are no longer making them? Dave Owen hadn't heard anything to that effect yet.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:14 AM
Mr Cox

I'm not sure where the info originally comes from, other than a rumour, that is.

Topmodel used to have these listen as in-stock, together with spare parts and accessories, but now they only have it on-order. It is the same for other local sources here.
Old 01-21-2013, 05:45 PM
flyinrog

I helped one guy, start one diesel engine, one time, got sprayed with the exhaust, not for me man....thanks but no thanks....Rog
Old 01-21-2013, 10:31 PM
Mr Cox

You can often route the exhaust away from the plane with out loosing too much power. But I know what you mean, at the field in not much of a problem though so the key is to not get the exhaust residue on your clothes and to clean the plane well and the field (and leaving the paper towels there).

An engine with muffler on a plane that can ROG is often enough, just stay away from hand launching cox engines that run on diesel....
Old 01-22-2013, 12:27 AM
DeviousDave

I'm not sure where the info originally comes from, other than a rumour, that is.

Topmodel used to have these listen as in-stock, together with spare parts and accessories, but now they only have it on-order. It is the same for other local sources here.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11262196/tm.htm
Old 01-22-2013, 12:32 AM
DeviousDave

ORIGINAL: steve111

As regards performance, my 061BB diesel turns an APC 7x3 at 17600, which puts it well into Norvel 074 territory. (The dieselised Norvel 061 does about 17000 with the same prop.) I prefer either my glow or diesel MP Jet 061s to my Norvel 061s.

Where has the info come from that MP Jet are no longer making them? Dave Owen hadn't heard anything to that effect yet.
The Norvels are going to beat the MP JET out on weight pretty badly, but the opposite side of that is that they were never built to be run as diesels. I remember having a deposit on a Norvel diesel back in 1993 or so and ended up refunded from the US importers because the factory dropped the idea. I'm guessing rod failures.... I'll find out soon enough, the diesel head Norvel is making these days is really nice. My clapped out Big Big .061 turns a 6-4 Cox at 17,400. I think I'll need a bigger prop to break a rod.

The MP Jets is just sooo much nicer an engine than a Norvel, and I don't say that lightly-Norvels are very, very good.

As for the rumor, the post I put in my last reply has the information. Sounds like David Owen might know about it now, who knows.
Old 01-23-2013, 06:14 PM
AMB

I have 2 MPJet diesels 061s on the way with exhaust spacers on the way from I Care RC Quebec Canada, expect them by end of the week martin
Old 01-30-2013, 02:33 PM
AMB

Got them Monday (2) my hoard now a total of 3 all st martin