Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

NV engines?

Old 01-17-2013, 12:43 PM
grant-RCU
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NV engines?

Has anyone bought one of the new Norvel 074s that NV engines is making? www.nvengines.com Are they as good as the old ones? These used to be the best engines in this size. Are there any other engines that compete in performance?

Thanks,

Grant
Old 01-17-2013, 05:17 PM
rcguy59
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: NV engines?

I have purchased parts from NV engines, but no complete engines. Service was excellent and very quick. As was suspected when NV first appeared, everything they have seems to be original N.O.S. Norvel parts and engines, rather than new production. I've seen no evidence as yet to the contrary. That's fine though, since the original stuff was/is great. If they have what you want, grab it. It will not be there forever.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:51 AM
DeviousDave

These are good engines, particularly the .074. There isn't really anything to compare it to on the glow market, especially when you take into account how few engines in it's size range are still on the market. Think of it as a 1/2A motor that will swing a real prop fast more than a light weight .10. The prop you want for sport flying will probably be the APC 6.3-4, which spins in the 16,500 range on a motor with low time. These engines are said to improve considerably with run time, I have yet to see it, the liners wear like a cast iron anvil.... I've got a ton of flight time on my JMGlaskraft Penetrator, several hours at least and no signs of it 'waking' up like they do when they get good and loose. Still, it's plenty fast and has unlimited vertical-or at least the plane was vertical until some repairs were needed from a bad launch. It's darn heavy now and still hangs on the prop.

I really like how the .074 runs, the idle is rock solid and it draws fuel really well. It's like they consulted OS on how to make a good running motor...
Old 01-18-2013, 09:08 AM
hllywdb

I have 2 of the new production .074 motors. They have the new style glow heads and come with a better carb seal. Once broken in they run no different than my older .074 motors. Which means they run great. Dave is right, the 6.3X4 prop is great on them. For a slower plane, the MAS 7X3 also works fine. I am going to try cutting down a Cox 8X4 and see how that works. I wish they still made the grey 7X3.5
Old 01-18-2013, 05:25 PM
rcguy59
My Feedback: (8)

I have 8 or 10 (can't remember) .074's. some are still N.I.B., but the ones I run all seem to thrive on the APC 7-3 prop and 30% Heli fuel spiked with 4+ oz. of Sig castor per gallon. All turn a bit over 17K rpm, give or take. I have a Mecoa glow head insert, but haven't tried it yet. I tried the Mecoa 1/4-32 head button, but the cost in rpm was high. Some of these little guys do take a while to really wake up, but as long as you are careful not to bend a rod with a really tight example, you'll be fine.

P.S.: The N.I.B. engines are NOT for sale.