Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Guillow's Zero

Old 01-21-2013, 06:48 PM
exocet-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Guillow's Zero

Well, here is one of my 2013 New Year's resolutions. I now have the Zero ready to sand and cover. I am powering it with a reedy .049, which will be overkill as the plane only weighs about 7 ounces including the motor. Hopefully I can have it covered by the weekend. Elevator and aileron control, two sub micro servos in the wing.

Tim
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46700.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	320.9 KB
ID:	1843047  
Old 01-21-2013, 06:58 PM
Max_Power

Default RE: Guillow's Zero

Hey, that thing is looking good! Looks like your aileron plan worked out fine. Is 7 ounces everything except covering and trim?
Old 01-21-2013, 07:11 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

When I "clicked to expand" the photo, one of the stringers got cracked...sorry....
Old 01-21-2013, 07:17 PM
john josey

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a set of sub-micro gear from an E-flite 4-site that i was going to try and install in one of the '500' series kits. Has anyone done this or am i wasting my time ?

CP hilarious....had me splitting my sides !!!
Old 01-21-2013, 07:32 PM
exocet-RCU

Yeah, CP, I'm afraid I'll look at it wrong and crack a stringer.

Todd, ailerons went smoother than I expected. And that weight is correct - everything except covering and trim. I bought the Microlite covering and don't know how much that will add but I still think I'll come out under 10 ounces total.

Tim
Old 01-21-2013, 08:37 PM
Tom Nied

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Got to give him credit for trying.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:51 PM
combatpigg

Please remember to do a before and after weigh in of just the covering.........[that part usually gets left out of build threads]
I've always been curious about Guillows annual sales [volume] throughout the years. I'm also curious about the ratio of kits sold....to kits built and flown. Impossible to know what that is, but it would be interesting to get an opinion poll of the people who run Guillows to see what they think.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:43 PM
Mr Cox

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a Gillows Mustang that I was meant to build, just out of interest I measured the weight of the balsa sheets and it was 40% heavier than my other stock, and would translate to about 1.5oz on the total weight...

I have tried a few servos at 3.7g and they aren't reliable, your much better of with quality servos at about 5g instead (D47 or HS-35 for instance). The key thing is to save a little weight everywhere, and not use dual servos for ailerons etc. A 10oz total weight is easily doable when building from scratch, and the vertical performance with a Norvel .061 in the front is very nice.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:45 AM
exocet-RCU

CP, this kit is the new Laser Cut version. I don't know if I have the patience to try one of the die crunched models. I think if I had one of the die crunched ones it would just stay on the shelf.

Mr. Cox, I guess I haven't had any problems with these servos before. We'll just have to see what happens with them. I could replace the wing servos with 5 gram ones with minor mods. The biggest problem with running torque rods is that there is no room for back and forth movement without hitting the former behind the wing. That and getting some way to connect the torque rods to the control rods coming from the aileron servo. I have tried the dubro 1/2A rods that you glue the spring on to and then thread the connector onto the spring and I don't like that idea at all. What do you use to make that connection? I'm always looking for new ways to do things.

Actually, my biggest worry right now is covering the wing and tail surfaces without warping them. I have used MonoKote and Ultracote and Solartex but I've never tried Microlite and have never tried to cover something this small...

Tim
Old 01-22-2013, 06:13 AM
skaliwag

I use these.

http://sigmfg.com/cgi-bin/dpsmart.ex...FV5.html?E+Sig

http://sigmfg.com/cgi-bin/dpsmart.ex..._02SIGSH658_01
Old 01-22-2013, 08:29 AM
Mr Cox

Here is the Dubro 1/2A style (on a "Yellow Jacket" plane), you solder the springs on and the rest is straight froward. The torque rods can run in epoxy and wood, no need for the brass cylinders. This plane weights about 10.3oz in total.

I'm working on a more lightweight DIY version of the torque rods too, but it is not finished yet...

Name:	Nl30082.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	1843221  
Old 01-22-2013, 09:23 AM
ZoomZoom-RCU

Very nice. I look forward to seeing it fly.

ZZ.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:41 AM
exocet-RCU

Mr. Cox. I like how you did that. I'll keep that in mind for the next plane I'm making, a twin version of the SureShark.

Thanks, ZZ, me too. Hopefully the .049 won't be too much power (can there ever be enough, really?)

Tim
Old 01-22-2013, 09:44 AM
MTK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: exocet-RCU

Yeah, CP, I'm afraid I'll look at it wrong and crack a stringer.

Curious...carbon stringers might have helped keep the stringers intact...0.02" rod is all it needs
Old 01-22-2013, 12:19 PM
MJD

ORIGINAL: exocet-RCU
Mr. Cox, I guess I haven't had any problems with these servos before. We'll just have to see what happens with them.
Is that with electric motors or glow? One of the issues with micro servos is the shock loading on the gears from engine vibration. Even a smooth single cylinder engine is still buzzing the airframe. The lightest servos I've used on 1/2A is HS-55's, and many folks do not even recommend that, although - knock on wood - no problems yet. However, I have stripped a couple just by clumsily bumping a control surface on something (not hard enough to damage the control surface either).
Old 01-22-2013, 12:54 PM
Mr Cox

I only use glow, so I cannot comment on any possible differences compared to electric power. On indoor models made from foam it doesn't really matter if a servo fails, but outdoors in a balsa plane it is a little different. I do too bump the surfaces, by misstake of course, but I had one servo go bad between consecutive flights, and I was sloppy with preflight checks since I only had refueled the engine. Flying with elevator only, at full throttle in a slight curve is no fun though...

Another servo (HXT500) was on an aileron when it suddenly stopped working between flights, I caught this one though in a pre-flight check.

HS55 and similar can certainly be use on the throttle, for instance, where I failure doesn't matter so much. But for the anything important one is far better off with a high quality servo. You get both a better control, with better centering etc, and you can trust that they will not suddenly stop moving.
Old 01-27-2013, 05:01 PM
exocet-RCU

Got some work done on the Zero today. All thats left is to cover the fuselage and final assembly. weight of everything, including control horns, clevises, hinges, plastic parts, motor, servos - everything - before covering was 7.95 oz. I think it should fly pretty well .

Not sure how much I like working with Microlite. It sure has an affinity for itself.

Tim

Name:	Wt58923.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	280.4 KB
ID:	1845172  
Old 01-27-2013, 07:15 PM
combatpigg

It looks great!
The only other Guillows Zero I've seen with .049 power was a very good flyer. It was quite a coincidence to find another 1/2A RC flyer at a rural, small town school yard back then...but it would be 10 times less likely today.
Back then [around 1990] the Guillows kits were fairly expensive, so I mostly built from plans.
The S-133 servos were $27 each from Tower and they failed often enough, too.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:24 PM
SBOT

Tim,
The trick to working with Microlite is to only pull the backing of one end just enough to tack it down. Then peel the backing off as you work along the part you are covering. Otherwise it is so light and sticks to itself so readily it is impossible to work with. The extra weight of the backing really helps, makes it much easier to work with; plus with the backing on it doesn't stick to itself.
Oscar
Old 01-28-2013, 05:09 AM
exocet-RCU

Thanks, Oscar. That's a great idea! I'll try that on the fuselage.

Tim
Old 02-02-2013, 05:52 PM
exocet-RCU

Update: Got got the fuse covered today, the engine mounted and the cowl cut to fit. Just painted the cowl black and waiting for it to dry. I still have to hinge ailerons and elevator and connect them up. Working on the masking on the canopy now. Hope to complete the plane tomorrow. Will post pictures when its done.

Tim
Old 02-02-2013, 07:16 PM
Tee Bee

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know that others have had issues with Microlite in glow service but I've used it on several planes with .010s and .020s with pretty good success. I make sure to clean the residue off promptly after flying with some Vinegar Windex or similar. Occasional attention with the iron usually corrects any sagging issues. Temp/humidity changes seem to affect the material more than the glow fuel. My LaStick is nearly 6yrs old and still has it's original covering. I did have to install an Ultracote patch on the fuse bottom after the grass landings took their toll on the thinner stuff.

Good luck with your Zero!
Old 02-19-2013, 07:37 PM
exocet-RCU

Well, its all done. OK, one of the aileron servos was crap so I'm going to switch out both the aileron servos for a couple that are a little better. But, its all covered, all connections made, everything ready to go (with the exception above and I have to glue on the canopy) and the total AUW is 8.85 ounces. Even with the better servos, it should only add a quarter ounce or so. I think the reedy .049 might be a little overkill......

Tim

PS. The pictures look like crap. The Meatballs actually turned out better than I expected

Name:	Pn35391.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	1854169   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc92479.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	1854170  
Old 02-19-2013, 08:18 PM
skaliwag

Woah... 8.5oz for an 049... They will hear the sonic boom in Russia and you will be to blame for this round of broken windows.

Turn the prop backwards, add shims. Do you have room for a throttle servo? Extra weight will not be the Nixxer.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:25 PM
exocet-RCU

Skaliwag, I do have a TD .020 I could put in it but then the prop is so small. I plan on running the .049 with a 6x3 prop and hopefully that will keep the RPMs down a bit. I do have a throttle ringed cylinder but not much room for another servo.

It should be fun.

Tim

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.