Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

anyone flown jr skylark as twin?

Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

anyone flown jr skylark as twin?

Old 09-15-2003, 10:12 AM
redsplatter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone flown jr skylark as twin?

Have one and can't decide if I should go single or twin. I like the idea of the twin, but have heard too many horror stories. Didn't know if the smaller plane and engines would be better suited or not. Personally, I always thought that if you heard engine die or noticed unexplained yaw at a distance before hearing the engine loss, that if you turned toward dead engine and compensated for the (pulling effect), it should be controllable to land.

thanks
Old 09-15-2003, 01:49 PM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: anyone flown jr skylark as twin?

Red:

Go with the twin.

Extend the after fuselage by 1 1/2 or 2 inches. This will give you the needed rudder authority, and help the balance too.

Bill.
Old 09-16-2003, 12:34 PM
BobHH
My Feedback: (18)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep, many years ago with 2 Pee Wee .020's. Flew OK but probably would do better with Tee Dees. Unfortunatelly you can buy 2 good .40's for what the Tee Dee .020 go for now! I had 3 channel in it as I remember. Kinda fun getting both of those engines running at the same time!!! Started covering our Jr Skylark prototype last night. Hopefully available soon. Will offer drawings of the twin engine nacelle parts but will not supply in kit.

Bob Harris
Early RC Models
Old 09-17-2003, 04:26 PM
toy264

I always thought that if you heard engine die or noticed unexplained yaw at a distance before hearing the engine loss, that if you turned toward dead engine and compensated for the (pulling effect), it should be controllable to land.
I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think turning into a dead engine is a very bad thing- I know you'll bust your checkride in a full sized twin if you do! The plane will want to yaw and roll toward the dead engine anyway, and control input in the same direction is inviting a stall, snap, spin.

Keep us posted on the project- I built a Skylark single in the sixties and I'd love to do it again as an electric twin. I can't imagine keeping two TD's synched! You listening Bob?
John
Old 09-17-2003, 04:48 PM
fritzke
My Feedback: (1)

1 word....
ELECTRIC!
Dave
Old 09-17-2003, 07:56 PM
BobHH

Yep John, I beleive your corrrect on the dead engine. I always turned away from the dead engine. I saw a guy stick a nice P-38 one time turning toward the dead engine. By the way, whats wrong with the twin Tee Dee? Electric.... don't smell like glow fuel!!!

Bob Harris
Early RC Models

PS. There have been some guys that have converted our Jr Falcon to electric and I hear they fly fine. These older designs were designed with heavier radios in mind. The newer lighter radios combined with the weight of the electrics still come in under the original design weight.
Old 09-20-2003, 12:22 PM
redsplatter

Thanks for the extending the fuse idea. If I go with the twin, I'll extend it. Will not be using original kit anyway due to the heavy wood and die-crunch. Had thought about electric, but decided to keep with the theme from back then with glow engine (engines). Wasn't sure about which way to turn when engine quits, but thats why I asked. No substitute for knowledge.

BobHH, are you the fellow with the jr. falcon and wee sticks at the Burlington swap meet? If so, I bought a wee stick from you and was mighty interested in the kits you were going to do. Had lost the paper with the listings and info. Was planning on going to the swap meet nov. 1 in Winston Salem and seeing if you were there. If you are not one in the same, I apologize.

Thanks
Old 09-20-2003, 06:34 PM
BobHH

Yep, I'm the one. I will be at the Winston Salem swap meet. Hope to show the Jr Skylark, Roaring 20, Schoolgirl and Page Boy as well as the Wee Stick, Jr. Falcon and Lighting Bug.

Bob Harris
Early RC Models