Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

1/2a Rc Plane

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 12:50 PM
Vinyl Cafe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1/2a Rc Plane

Hey everyone, I have been considering a 1/2a rc plane for a while now and would like some suggestions on any models that are cheap and easy to build. I won't be putting to much effort into it since this will be my first one, also, if there are any arfs out there that could be converted please let me know. Any tips on servos and recievers would be nice as well.Thanks.
Old 01-29-2013, 03:12 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: 1/2a Rc Plane

Not too many 1/2a ARFs around. But for simplicity and good flying a DNU, "Das not Ugly" is a sweet model.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:17 PM
Andrew

If you don't have RC experience, you might consider the LST Trainer - it's on a sticky at the top of the forum. If you have prior flying experience, like vicman said, the DNU is hard to beat.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:06 PM
Rendegade

First build or first plane?

If it's your first build I'd actually suggest you put in every effort you can to make the best model you can. Whole-assed first builds are better than half-assed first builds!
Old 01-29-2013, 05:07 PM
ffkiwi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also in vein with the previous comments-if you don't have previous building experience, you may find attempting to convert an electric ARF a frustrating experience. I'd recommend the LST already mentioned as both a good aircraft to fly, and also an easy build. Fortunately now we are spoilt for both servos, radios, and fittings-thanks to the popularity of Parkzone models, so horns, hinges, fittings, retracts, mounts, control linkages etc are available from people like Goldberg and Dubro in several sizes suitable for 1/2A-not to mention several choices of lightweight coverings.

From a kit perspective there is also the Ace R/C line such as the Whizard and a few others (the simple series)-not to mention the laser cut offerings from Herr and BMJR-and further down the line things like the Sig Hummer and the Ace GLH. 1/2A aerobatics used to be popular but seems to have fallen away since the 80s-designs like the Ace Mach None and 1/2A Pacer were popular-these days there seems to be only 1/2A racing in a few limited locations (often with local rules) and general fun flying. Small electrics of course have made huge inroads into the small model preserve that used to be exclusively the province of 1/2A engines.

A lot will depend on your previous modelling experience, and whether you are comfortable scratch building, kit building or what ever-and your previous R/C flying experience (if any)-which might determine whether you'd be best off with a trainer, or something a bit more advanced.......

Also are you in a club-and if so what is its general focus?-1/2A fliers are often considered a bit 'odd' by those who fly IMAC and similar-and those to whom a 'small' engine is a .40 or .60! You may not find a lot of help or expertise in 1/2A at your local club We 1/2A'ers tend to be a small, thinly spread and disparate bunch....

1/2As (or smaller) are a lot of fun-but they can be a bit finicky to setup, and the engines can be a bit temperamental (or fussy, depending on your viewpoint). For some of us that's part of the enjoyment......

ChrisM
'ffkiwi'
Old 01-29-2013, 08:11 PM
Andrew

SIG Manufacturing also has a couple of trainer planes that lend themselves to 1/2A power, both by HERR. HERR kits are top of the line, feature laser cutting and fly well. These are the Star Cruiser and Cloud Ranger.

sigmfg.com
Old 01-30-2013, 12:52 AM
mick1404

personally, I would get some plans and scratch build a model if you are keen, and the results will be rewarding and you are not limited to colour scheme etc. As for servos, Hitec HS-55 or if your funds are bit lacking (like mine are) HXT900 from hobby king, but they are a little on the noisy side in regards to gear noise. Radio wise, it depends on how much you want to spend, hobby king have 2.4GHZ 4-7 channel transmitters and recievers that would do the job and won't break the bank.
Old 01-30-2013, 05:33 AM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

There is Crazy Herb's Cheap Delta.  It wouldn't be a good first model, but maybe a good first 1/2A model.  Maybe some kind of blue fanfold foam contraption could be made up.  If it doesn't work, you crumple it up and try again.  Just be safe, and follow normal balance rules etc.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:29 PM
Vinyl Cafe

I have been flying rc planes for about 5 years now so the skill level won't be much of an issue. I have built many models but none for rc though. I saw the Das Not Ugly and it seems quite nice, what do you guys think of the Sig Lil Rascal or the Sig Hummer though? are those good planes?
Old 01-30-2013, 01:40 PM
Vinyl Cafe

Just looking around and I came across this. You can buy it as a kit or get it with everything (engine,propeller,covering,building board etc.) I found it on Cox International's website so it should be pretty good.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca80761.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	1846100  
Old 01-30-2013, 01:42 PM
NEW222

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I can say thet the Hummer is a nice little build. Very straight forward, and I have heard that it is a decent little flier. I have one that has been ready to take to the air for approximately 12+ years. I mainly build, but just play with foamies, so I cannot personally say how she handles. Would be a quick build. Even a quick scratch build from plans, as it is a solid fuselage and tail surfaces. I may know where you can get a set of tiled plans in pdf......