Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Help needed...1970's Testors .049 Hovercraft

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Help needed...1970's Testors .049 Hovercraft

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2003, 03:06 PM
jkirkon
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help needed...1970's Testors .049 Hovercraft

Hi all,

New here to the forum, and sorry this is long......I have aquired a couple of 1978 vintage Testors .049 powered hovercraft. It is called the GALAX IV. They seem to be free flight models that skim along the ground at a moderate pace. One of them in NEW in box (shrink wrap still on box, unopened), and the other is used, but excellent condition. My intention is to enjoy the used one, and tuck the NIB one away, in case there would be some collector value associated with it.
I have a few questions about them......where do I get parts, such as glow heads, ect for Testors engines? I have checked the glow head, and it seems to work fine, but would like to have replacements available, as well as other parts.
Second, where would I assess a collector value to them? I have done quite a bit of research, and have found very little information about them. It seems that they began production in 1978, and were made for 9 or so months before Testors got out of tha gas plane business. I have been to several old hobby shops in my area (most have been in business 30+ years), but noone has ever seen one before. Do I have somethng rare?

Any info you may have is GREATLY appreciated!
Best regards,
Jeff
Old 01-04-2003, 04:33 PM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah you got a rare one,, I was just gonna get on here and ask if anybody has an old cox dune buggy for sale... my mother "did me a favor" and sold mine in a 3 family yard sale about 25 years ago along with my Cox vw and my daisy 350 repeater and my steam engine....................So anybody got an old cox dunebuggy for sale?? ........Thanks,, Rog
Old 01-04-2003, 11:21 PM
fastlash
My Feedback: (7)

Default answer

ONE WORD TO THE 2 OF YOU---- E-BAY
Old 01-04-2003, 11:45 PM
flyinrog

I watch e-bay all the time, actually I thought maybe Dickeybird might have one,,, the last one I saw on e-bay 1970's Cox red dune buggy went (like still in the box) for $162.50
I'd love to have one but not THAT bad ..Rog
Old 01-05-2003, 04:55 AM
jkirkon
My Feedback: (6)

I have seen a few of those Galax IV hovercrafts of Ebay, but again, no one I have spoken to knows anything about them. I even emailed Testors Corp with some questions, and they just kinda 'looked at me funny'. It seems kind of strange that not even the mfg has info on one of their products. I am somewhat at a loss.

Anyways, I got one to run, and the other will stay wrapped in it's box until I find out more about it. It starts fine.....idles well, but haven't taken it out for a run yet. Little cold for that now.
If anyone has any info regarding these little jewels, please let me know.

Thanks!
Jeff

BTW, here's a pic of an incomplete one I just saw on Ebay.....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	45202_23892.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	27987  
Old 02-14-2013, 04:58 PM
GrassySound

Default RE: Help needed...1970's Testors .049 Hovercraft

I found my Galax IV in my attic, after sitting up there for thirty years! Like you, I live in Camden County, and can't seem to find anything to help with equipment needed. What stores did you find what you need? Thanks.
Old 02-14-2013, 05:31 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

50 years ago the Boy Scouts were building "man carrying" Briggs & Stratton powered hovercraft out of common materials that you could get at the hardware store.
This looks like the kind of a 1/2A project that a little bit of patience, desire and ingenuity could conquer.
Old 02-16-2013, 11:54 AM
Tee Bee

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I believe it was hfenn who brought one of those to SMALL a couple of years back. They tried to do a demo"flight" but it couldn't hover on the grass which was the only surface available. As with most of the typical SMALL shenanigans, it was good for some laughs.
Old 02-16-2013, 12:03 PM
hfenn

ORIGINAL: Tee Bee

I believe it was hfenn who brought one of those to SMALL a couple of years back. They tried to do a demo''flight'' but it couldn't hover on the grass which was the only surface available. As with most of the typical SMALL shenanigans, it was good for some laughs.
I disavow bringing one, but, I was involved! Actually, George brought it, and I think Kevin, Steve and others were involved with the non-hovers. It was good for some laughs though. George later reported that it did hover on his shop floor, and he never realized how much dust was down there!
Old 02-16-2013, 03:33 PM
flyinrog

Hey when is the SMALL this year my sister moved to Nashville and wants me to come see her place this year?..Rog
Hey Hollis how ya doin?
Old 02-18-2013, 02:45 PM
hfenn

ORIGINAL: flyinrog

Hey when is the SMALL this year my sister moved to Nashville and wants me to come see her place this year?..Rog
Hey Hollis how ya doin?
SMALL 2013 will be May 30 to June 2. I won't make it this year due to work
Doing great Rog, thanks!
Old 02-19-2013, 03:32 AM
Tee Bee

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I haven't given up hope yet, but it sure looks like work is going to prevent my attendance this year as well. I'm pulling out all the stops, though...
Old 02-19-2013, 04:22 AM
LittleRock

To Hollis and Troy,
Please get your lives in order. SMALL is once per year. You can go to work any time. Steve Adams bought a new car so he could drive from California this year. Things are not the same when you guys don't show up.