Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Ugly Stik dimensions needed for a COX Medallion 09

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Ugly Stik dimensions needed for a COX Medallion 09

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 06:32 PM
SnApRoLl-

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ugly Stik dimensions needed for a COX Medallion 09

Hello all,
I have a new COX Medallion .09 r/c engine and I want to scratch build an Ugly Stik from scaled down .40 size plans. My question is, how much should I scale it down? What wing span and length should it be for the .09? The plans I have are PDF and are tiled. I've tried to scale it down to what looks about right, but every time I print the tiled plans, they come out either way too small or way too big, so instead of wasting paper and ink, I'm going to have them scaled down and printed at Staples. So having the proper measurements would be a great help.
Thanks in advance,

Shawn
Old 05-08-2013, 03:15 AM
Tee Bee

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Ugly Stik dimensions needed for a COX Medallion 09

Somewhere around 40" span oughtta work good.
Old 05-08-2013, 01:47 PM
guitarsbanjo

once upon a time I put all the formulas I knew into an excel spreadsheet, makes figuring this stuff easy. I know nothing about excel and so it is a terrible spreadsheet, otherwise I'd share it. But, sometimes even Iget confused where the inputs go, and if you put it in the wrong blank you can accidentally alter the formula. I know you can protect a cell, somehow, and I'd also like it to "zero out" when I'm done. As it is, I just make sure and always click "no" when it asks do Iwant to save changes.

Anyway, to your point. I just made up some numbers for your project that sounded "about right" to me. So you can see in the little snippit I will post If I input the original plans wing area, and input what you want the new plans wing area to be, it will give you a scale factor to use as a multipler. On the next line it will do the math so if you put in the actual plans wing span, or any other dimension, it will give the new dimension. I have a lot of other formulas built into the spreadsheet, like figuring wing area, prop load, conversion from metric to ase...blah, blah, blah. So I can put in a 10X6 pro and it will give an approximate prop load, then I can go to another line, put in that prop load and tell it Iwan to use a 9" prop instead, and it will give a pitch number to approximate that load.

These are all just formulas I've found in books and magazines, I'm certainly no whiz at this stuff.

Almost forgot, let me know the area of the plan you have, and what you want, and I'll plug them in for you. What I posted would be pretty typical of what I would probably do, assuming that's about the area of the plan you have.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96145.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	1880297  
Old 05-08-2013, 02:12 PM
fizzwater2
My Feedback: (61)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

about 4 years ago I bought a laser cut short kit of a "Little Ugly Stick" from a guy on these forums, sized for an OS 10.

If I remember correctly, it was about 36.4" span, 375 sq in wing area, about 27 ounces is what he had on his drawings for his own plane.

You might see if the search function turns up a "little ugly stick" and see if the gentleman still has some plans..

Old 05-08-2013, 02:14 PM
fizzwater2
My Feedback: (61)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

to save you some time... here's the thread I remember: at about post 16 you can download PDF plans and a materials list..

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_91...tm.htm#9169075

Old 05-08-2013, 05:47 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Most commercial [or published] .049 designs I've ever seen look just right for .09 power.
I've found that 17-18 ozs RTF is the upper limit for outstanding performance.
RCM's plans catalog was full of 1/2A designs like I'm talking about.

Old 05-09-2013, 09:41 PM
SnApRoLl-

Thanks for the link.
I found the plans. However, I did have some enlarged plans printed out today for an .020 size Match-Stick And the dimensions came out almost exactly the same dimensions as the "Little Ugly Stick"

I work 2 jobs and of those jobs is working for a stage sound and lighting company as a lighting tech and my boss also owns a cabinet making business and he is going to see if he can cut the ribs out on his CNC machine after he finishes up one of his jobs. So I'll start a build thread here in (hopefully) the next couple weeks.

Shawn

Here are the plans for the Match-Stick
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Wu60897.pdf (222.6 KB, 67 views)
Old 05-10-2013, 04:07 AM
RickP
My Feedback: (2)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

These look like ideal kits for a laser kit cutter to whip out. Has anyone asked around?
RickP
Old 05-10-2013, 05:30 AM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The one from above is so simple that it is hardly worth the trouble to make a short kit. A template for the ribs and cut them out, and the rest is just mostly straight lines except the trailing edges. The guy from one of the above threads (that says pg. 16) may still be making up kits if he is still active on the forum.
Old 05-10-2013, 02:13 PM
SnApRoLl-

I just got a PM from the designer of the kit (from pg. 16) and he said he is no longer doing any laser cutting.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:50 PM
SnApRoLl-

I picked up the Match-Stick ribs this morning that my boss was able to cut out on CNC machine. They turned out great!! He even made me a 1/4" plywood template in case I need to make more.
I will post pics tomorrow.
Old 05-17-2013, 10:48 AM
SnApRoLl-

Here is a pic of the wing ribs for my .10 size Match-Stick that my boss cnc cut for me as well as the ply template he made. They just need a light sanding and they are good to go.

Shawn
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11987.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	182.3 KB
ID:	1882653  
Old 11-10-2013, 05:31 PM
ChicaWolverina

If you're putting this sort of rescaling work into it, why not just scale down either the original type Kraft Ugly Stik or the 46" WS Das Liddle by Larry Leonard & Phil Kraft. But really without an R/C version of the .09 TeeDee it's a waste of time for both. But do keep some dihedral otherwise it's so esthetically unpleasant it should be called a POStick! I just don't get why people pick that airplane to over simplify, if it's going to be scaled down, it should be done as if you where simply rescaling it not changing its species too!